Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Matt's article in the Indiana Gazette pointed out today ...

Today is the 20th anniversary of IUP's 27-20 playoff win at Slippery Rock in 1999.

The nutshell version of the backstory is Slippery Rock trounced IUP in Indiana earlier that season. IUP had lost two QBs early in the season and a young freshman named Brian Eyerman had to make (I believe) his first career start on Homecoming against SRU. The Rock dropped a 52-14 win. IUP regrouped and Eyerman developed quickly over the next six weeks.

Many felt then (and now) Dr. Evil ran up the score on IUP's Homecoming.

After the game, Dr. Evil said:

"Am I surprised we won so easily? No." I know we've got a pretty good team and now maybe everybody else can believe it. Indiana has a good team and we made them look bad."

Frank Cignetti of course got the last laugh when it mattered the most. Eyerman became a star for the next three years.

And, of course, IUP did a little dance on that rock afterward. Literally.

I was at the game that day. It's still one of the most exciting IUP wins I've ever seen in person.

Comment

• Here's the link.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Great article, Matt and very nice synopsis BigIndians. I think that a lot of us are very likely in disbelief that 20 years have passed since that particular game.

Certainly a classic example of Dr. Evil's dirty deeds that were done dirt cheap. He got exactly what he deserved by losing that. LOL.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          As Matt's article in the Indiana Gazette pointed out today ...

Today is the 20th anniversary of IUP's 27-20 playoff win at Slippery Rock in 1999.

The nutshell version of the backstory is Slippery Rock trounced IUP in Indiana earlier that season. IUP had lost two QBs early in the season and a young freshman named Brian Eyerman had to make (I believe) his first career start on Homecoming against SRU. The Rock dropped a 52-14 win. IUP regrouped and Eyerman developed quickly over the next six weeks.

Many felt then (and now) Dr. Evil ran up the score on IUP's Homecoming.

After the game, Dr. Evil said:

"Am I surprised we won so easily? No." I know we've got a pretty good team and now maybe everybody else can believe it. Indiana has a good team and we made them look bad."

Frank Cignetti of course got the last laugh when it mattered the most. Eyerman became a star for the next three years.

And, of course, IUP did a little dance on that rock afterward. Literally.

I was at the game that day. It's still one of the most exciting IUP wins I've ever seen in person.
          I can't believe some of the quotes in that article lol... Mihalik was doing everything he could to just rub their nose in it after that win.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I can't believe some of the quotes in that article lol... Mihalik was doing everything he could to just rub their nose in it after that win.
            Yep, his fake moral superiority was in full display.

He will always have a LOSING record against IUP. Frank should have run another fake punt when the game was in hand just to say **** you to Dr Evil.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Yep, his fake moral superiority was in full display.

He will always have a LOSING record against IUP. Frank should have run another fake punt when the game was in hand just to say **** you to Dr Evil.
              Pot, meet kettle...You're an expert at fake moral superiority...
              Last edited by WarriorVoice; 11-21-2019, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Updated forecast for Indiana on Saturday is afternoon rain and a high of 49. Looks like a wet one is coming.

Comment

Updated forecast for Indiana on Saturday is afternoon rain and a high of 49. Looks like a wet one is coming.
                  Sounds like the ball won't be thrown much if the weather is rainy.

Comment

Updated forecast for Indiana on Saturday is afternoon rain and a high of 49. Looks like a wet one is coming.

Comment

• IUPbigIndian, IUPNation, IUPShoNuf been fun reading your opinions n helping me when I ask a question. Hilarious seeing the verbal battles with others. LOL. Was really starting to like u UNTIL u mentioned wx forecast for Sat. I flew in this afternoon from FLORIDA. My old bones can't take this.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Pot, meet kettle...You're an expert at fake moral superiority...
                        My IUP superiority complex has merit.

Denny had a losing record vs IUP as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ballin51 View Post
                          IUPbigIndian, IUPNation, IUPShoNuf been fun reading your opinions n helping me when I ask a question. Hilarious seeing the verbal battles with others. LOL. Was really starting to like u UNTIL u mentioned wx forecast for Sat. I flew in this afternoon from FLORIDA. My old bones can't take this.
                          If the current forecast holds up they may get the whole game in with dry conditions.

p.s. They need this W wrapped up by 2:45 p.m. The men's basketball game starts at 3 p.m. Here's to wishful thinking.

Comment

• IUP vs. Shepherd history:

In Indiana:

1998 Shepherd 9 IUP 6
                            2012 IUP 27 Shepherd 17

In WV:

2015 - Shepherd 17 IUP 13
                            2007 - Shepherd 41 IUP 34

Average margin: 6 points

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

My IUP superiority complex has merit.

Denny had a losing record vs IUP as well.
                              When is IUP going D-I?! If THAT happened, then I'd excuse your fake moral superiority...

Comment

If the current forecast holds up they may get the whole game in with dry conditions.

p.s. They need this W wrapped up by 2:45 p.m. The men's basketball game starts at 3 p.m. Here's to wishful thinking.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X