Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I always thought the counties should run the schools but that would never happen. The rich districts would balk at that all day long.
    I've worked in both WV and MD in public edu that follow the county in charge model. It hasn't been any more effective. The haves or certain school districts still get favored status. School A in the county can play by their own rules and not have issues, but School B gets in trouble if they do the same. Though it I guess it is a bit easier for consolidation if the county and the state are the driving force. Certain connections can still block things. My wife's old school district out in west pa should probably consolidate but unfortunately the closest school district is actually the next county over. An in county consolidation would turn in to a long bus ride for kids. May help with the teacher shortage but likely won't help with the bus driver shortage.

Comment

• Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post

I've worked in both WV and MD in public edu that follow the county in charge model. It hasn't been any more effective. The haves or certain school districts still get favored status. School A in the county can play by their own rules and not have issues, but School B gets in trouble if they do the same. Though it I guess it is a bit easier for consolidation if the county and the state are the driving force. Certain connections can still block things. My wife's old school district out in west pa should probably consolidate but unfortunately the closest school district is actually the next county over. An in county consolidation would turn in to a long bus ride for kids. May help with the teacher shortage but likely won't help with the bus driver shortage.
      It’s a concept that would have zero chance of happening in PA.

Comment

• Former Edinboro All American DK McDonald has left the Phiadelphia Eagles to be Co-Defensive Coordinator at Kansas.

https://www2.kusports.com/sports/col...oaching-staff/

Comment

• Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post

Yup. In general it's always going to be socio-economic considerations rather than a line in the map that determines favored schools. If a school gets a good reputation, people with the means to do so move near it so their kids can attend, boosting property values and tax base in that area. For the school that has a negative reputation, just the opposite happens and perception becomes reality as it loses support. If a lower-income community takes great pride in its school and gives it what support it can, you can still have good outcomes, but they definitely have to row upstream.

Comment

• Not a good week for former WPIAL and Pitt star Paris Ford.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Not a good week for former WPIAL and Pitt star Paris Ford.
              I caught that as I was heading out the door this morning and wondered if it was him or an unfortunately coincidental name.

Comment

• Pitt DL Daylon Hayes finished Spring Ball and promptly entered the portal. He apologized to HC Narduzzi but said "this is a business ..."

Good Lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Pitt DL Daylon Hayes finished Spring Ball and promptly entered the portal. He apologized to HC Narduzzi but said "this is a business ..."

Good Lord.
                  The sad part is that these players aren't hiding that they are just chasing the bag anymore. Dayon Hayes wasn't getting a better opportunity elsewhere from a playing time standpoint (he was a returning starter on a defense which returned almost everybody). And he really isn't going anywhere that has a better track record of putting defensive linemen into the NFL, because Pitt is one of the best in the country at doing that. Somebody just called with cash and he went running. Solomon Deshields just hit the portal too.

Pitt's actually done a significantly better job at keeping things in check compared to many other programs regarding abrupt portal departures. This isn't a Pitt thing. It's an all over the country thing. Louisville just randomly had 5 starters enter the portal this morning. Why? That team had a ton coming back. They overachieved last year and would have had a great chance to have a big year. This has nothing to do with football anymore.

Alliance 412 is good collective. They are well organized and they are well funded (despite not being the collective for a significant player in college football). Dayon Hayes was supposedly "well paid" based on everything I've heard. He toyed with entering the portal after last season, asked Alliance 412 for more money, got it, and then claimed he was a "hometown hero" for coming back to Pitt for his senior year. He tweeted "H2P" seven times yesterday. A week ago he spoke about mentoring the young players on Pitt's defense. LOL

The inside story is that since the first of the year, two players on Pitt's defense asked for significant sums of money/compensation. One asked for 1 million dollars. The other asked for 300,000 and a car purchased in his name. Dayon Hayes and Solomon Deshields are both in the transfer portal. I'm not saying those are the two guys, but it's a good assumption.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

The sad part is that these players aren't hiding that they are just chasing the bag anymore. Dayon Hayes wasn't getting a better opportunity elsewhere from a playing time standpoint (he was a returning starter on a defense which returned almost everybody). And he really isn't going anywhere that has a better track record of putting defensive linemen into the NFL, because Pitt is one of the best in the country at doing that. Somebody just called with cash and he went running. Solomon Deshields just hit the portal too.

Pitt's actually done a significantly better job at keeping things in check compared to many other programs regarding abrupt portal departures. This isn't a Pitt thing. It's an all over the country thing. Louisville just randomly had 5 starters enter the portal this morning. Why? That team had a ton coming back. They overachieved last year and would have had a great chance to have a big year. This has nothing to do with football anymore.

Alliance 412 is good collective. They are well organized and they are well funded (despite not being the collective for a significant player in college football). Dayon Hayes was supposedly "well paid" based on everything I've heard. He toyed with entering the portal after last season, asked Alliance 412 for more money, got it, and then claimed he was a "hometown hero" for coming back to Pitt for his senior year. He tweeted "H2P" seven times yesterday. A week ago he spoke about mentoring the young players on Pitt's defense. LOL

The inside story is that since the first of the year, two players on Pitt's defense asked for significant sums of money/compensation. One asked for 1 million dollars. The other asked for 300,000 and a car purchased in his name. Dayon Hayes and Solomon Deshields are both in the transfer portal. I'm not saying those are the two guys, but it's a good assumption.

Unfortunately (at that level) this is the new normal. This isn't 'collegiate' any more. Those guys are professional athletes, and 'free agency' rules the day. Well, that 'bag' rules the day.

But, we're talking serious money for a lot of these guys. Not all, but the stars are making serious bank as college 'students'.

"We aren't here to play school."

At least your Buckeye was honest.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X