X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

So he’s going to Fake Indiana University.
    Sounds like Duke is also interested in him, although the BIG (even at Indiana) is much more appealing than the ACC.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    Sounds a lot like Curt Cignetti will be the new head football coach at Indiana (Bloomington).

Probably not the easiest job. But I hope he does well and wish him the best. Congrats to him and his family. Curt’s personality is night and day compared to when he was at IUP. I will be rooting for him to succeed.
    I’m excited for him too, BUT, he might be going to a lesser job. I’m guessing the paycheck will be quite a bit bigger but man, things are really stacked against you coaching at a basketball school in the BIG. I don’t see any way Indiana reasonably competes with the top teams in that conference, especially with the addition of four more major football schools in 2024. I might have held out for a better opportunity either after this season ended, or roll the dice and wait until next year. Now he runs the risk of being buried in the lower third of the standings and being totally forgotten about.

I guess another way of looking at it is he might be fine with all of that and the sizable pay hike that comes with it. He’s in his early 60’s so maybe he doesn’t want to coach for the next 10 years. He may not have higher aspirations and he’s not going into a situation where they’re expecting to win championships. It doesn’t come with nearly the pressure of a Texas A&M job, for example. Bloomington is also one of the nicer towns in Indiana and it’s a really nice campus.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Sounds a lot like Curt Cignetti will be the new head football coach at Indiana (Bloomington).

Probably not the easiest job. But I hope he does well and wish him the best. Congrats to him and his family. Curt’s personality is night and day compared to when he was at IUP. I will be rooting for him to succeed.
    So he’s going to Fake Indiana University.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheBigCat2192
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I know the rule. Just questioning it.
    The owners have no real incentive to want it lower since it would mean paying players longer and handling the cost of development. Enough of the rank and file NFLPA members don’t want the age limit lowered since it would mean more cheap young competition for their roster spots. So as long as the league and NFLPA keep agreeing to the current rule there’s little chance of it changing. Maurice Clarett tried to sue his way in but after winning in one court a Circuit Court reversed the decision and I don’t believe anyone has tried since.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Why? Every other sport they can sign much younger. Hell, MLB teams can sign drastically younger.

I understand football is very violent and most aren't near physically ready at 18.
    The other leagues should be the same.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The NFL requires any player attempting to enter the NFL draft or wishing to be part of the free agent pool to be a minimum of 3 years removed from high school.

So while it’s not an age restriction, it’s an age restriction.
    I know the rule. Just questioning it.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Why? Every other sport they can sign much younger. Hell, MLB teams can sign drastically younger.

I understand football is very violent and most aren't near physically ready at 18.
    The NFL requires any player attempting to enter the NFL draft or wishing to be part of the free agent pool to be a minimum of 3 years removed from high school.

So while it’s not an age restriction, it’s an age restriction.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I always thought there should be an age limit for players able to be in the NFL..like 22.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

You may laugh at this, but I do wonder when the NFL manages to step into this. There are going to be players making significantly more money playing college football than they will make early in their NFL career, specifically when they aren’t a 1st round pick considering how they slot pool each draft choice and the associated rookie contract.

All of these QBs “supposedly” making 1 million bucks - let’s be real clear on “supposedly,” because there is a website that tracks market value and what each player is “worth,” and those numbers are way lower than what you hear “reported” by the talking heads on Twitter - will make more money next year than most drafted rookie quarterbacks. I believe Brock Purdy is making like 300k. Phil Jurkovec supposedly made that at Pitt in NIL deals. Think about that.

On one hand, this keeps players in college longer. On the other hand, imagine the headache this is eventually going to cause the NFL. The players in the league already say they are underpaid, running backs want to form a separate union, players want to be the owners too, etc.
    I always thought there should be an age limit for players able to be in the NFL..like 22.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    The number of 'starting' P5 QBs with eligibility remaining entering the portal is staggering.

It used to be the goal was to get the job. Now the goal is to start and bail (enter open-bidding free agency).

Can't blame the players at all. Making seven figures to play college football is pretty sweet.
    You may laugh at this, but I do wonder when the NFL manages to step into this. There are going to be players making significantly more money playing college football than they will make early in their NFL career, specifically when they aren’t a 1st round pick considering how they slot pool each draft choice and the associated rookie contract.

All of these QBs “supposedly” making 1 million bucks - let’s be real clear on “supposedly,” because there is a website that tracks market value and what each player is “worth,” and those numbers are way lower than what you hear “reported” by the talking heads on Twitter - will make more money next year than most drafted rookie quarterbacks. I believe Brock Purdy is making like 300k. Phil Jurkovec supposedly made that at Pitt in NIL deals. Think about that.

On one hand, this keeps players in college longer. On the other hand, imagine the headache this is eventually going to cause the NFL. The players in the league already say they are underpaid, running backs want to form a separate union, players want to be the owners too, etc.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The number of 'starting' P5 QBs with eligibility remaining entering the portal is staggering.

It used to be the goal was to get the job. Now the goal is to start and bail (enter open-bidding free agency).

Can't blame the players at all. Making seven figures to play college football is pretty sweet.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I lived in Columbus for a little bit. You are spot on, they are a lunatic fan base. One of the few fan bases where you can't even have a conversation without getting a migraine. Absolutely unreasonable and delusional at all times.
    Delusional is the right word. Dealing with these folks on the daily is brutal. That said, it's certainly a quiet week here given that Michigan humbled them again.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

SEC fans are reasonable? I lived in SEC country for several years and must have run into a different bunch than you have.
    I think it's how you approach the entire conversation. I've been in SEC stadiums, and also went to a Pitt game in Knoxville. I had a fantastic experience going to the Pitt game in Neyland Stadium. The Tennessee fans were some of the nicest folks I ever interacted with at a sporting event.

Most believe they are already better than everyone else in football, so they tend to not take on much aggression in the conversation (when it comes to talking to other fans). My good friend is a Georgia fan and lives in the south. He goes to a game somewhere every year. Has nothing but good things to say about his interactions with other SEC fans in opposing stadiums. But again, they think they are already better than everyone else anyways. So if Georgia beats Auburn on the road, the War Eagle fans will wish the Dawgs wearing spiked shoulder pads luck and ask them to beat Bama in Atlanta for them.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, they pretty obviously were too tough for UMass.
    I think UMass should have remained FCS. Nothing against them but its not working. It wouldn't affect any other sport unless they can get into an FBS conference as a full member. They just don't have the academic profile or athletic success to get into the ACC.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X