X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

SEC fans are reasonable? I lived in SEC country for several years and must have run into a different bunch than you have.
    SEC football and NASCAR

Not much else matters down there.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

I mean, what UMass really needs to do is move back to FCS. But that's not going to happen, and independence has proven unsustainable. If UMass and UDel are treated as a package deal, the MAC is more attractive than C-USA. Without UDel, UMass is an outlier in any conference.

Eh. Maybe once upon a time. It's stagnated and now finds itself clearly behind the AAC, MWC, and SBC in the G5 pecking order. TBD on what happens with the MWC and the OSU/WSU pair. The average MAC team is better than the average C-USA team... for now.
    Well, they pretty obviously were too tough for UMass.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I agree with this. People in Columbus are borderline sick when it comes to the Buckeyes. Michigan fans care about it, but it’s not the same. If there ever was a cult following for college football, it’s Ohio State. I have many acquaintances who are fans of SEC teams, and Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn specifically. They love their teams but they're reasonable. Ohio State fans are not reasonable.
    SEC fans are reasonable? I lived in SEC country for several years and must have run into a different bunch than you have.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

I agree with this. People in Columbus are borderline sick when it comes to the Buckeyes. Michigan fans care about it, but it’s not the same. If there ever was a cult following for college football, it’s Ohio State. I have many acquaintances who are fans of SEC teams, and Georgia, Alabama, and Auburn specifically. They love their teams but they're reasonable. Ohio State fans are not reasonable.
    I lived in Columbus for a little bit. You are spot on, they are a lunatic fan base. One of the few fan bases where you can't even have a conversation without getting a migraine. Absolutely unreasonable and delusional at all times.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Washington State QB in portal ... Currently has (10) offers -- all at or above $1m.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I could have some bias to my statement because I only hear it in Columbus, but I do feel like the rivalry rings louder in Ohio than in Michigan.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

I've said repeatedly that he tried the Urban Meyer shtick, but it just doesn't work for him. I don't actually think that's Day's real personality. His first year he wasn't like this. A switch flipped before the Michigan game where he blasted a reporter for saying "Michigan" at his weekly press conference. The reception of that comment in OSU land was great, and he won against Harbaugh that year, so he took that persona and ran with it. I think Meyer was a first rate jagoff too, but he never was as abrasive as Day when coaching Ohio State.

I saw Harbaugh's comments about how forced and manufactured that rivalry is. I honestly believe that. You see players on the field laughing and joking with each other before, during, and after the game. The rivalry and hatred is mostly with the people sitting in the crowd. The stuff that Day's done the last three years, all in eventual losses to Michigan, are cringeworthy. Although he was much quieter in the leadup to the game this year.
    The fact that the states of Meatchicken and Ohio mock each other is humorous when they both suck.

:-)

Leave a comment:

• EastStroud13
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    RMU slinks back to the NEC as an associate member for football. The Big South move was a disaster.
    Perhaps, but I think the Horizon is a good place for them for all-sports. The NEC needed this move just as much as RMU, they were at risk of losing their FCS autobid after Merrimack and Sacred Heart jumped ship.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    RMU slinks back to the NEC as an associate member for football. The Big South move was a disaster.

The release reads like Bernard Clark is remaining on the job. This might be a rare offseason with no head coach turnover.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think most rivalries are more heated on boards like these and in the media than they are in reality. It makes for a good jab on here and a juicy story in the paper.

I said that about IUP/Rock this year and got blasted. How heated is it when players hang after the game lol?

There are certainly rivalry games but this life or death stuff is way overblown. Harbaugh was just the first to say it.
    The manner in which Meyer acted while coaching OSU, and now Day... Both guys were very weird in their approach to it. Weird is the only word I can use to describe it.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think most rivalries are more heated on boards like these and in the media than they are in reality. It makes for a good jab on here and a juicy story in the paper.

I said that about IUP/Rock this year and got blasted. How heated is it when players hang after the game lol?

There are certainly rivalry games but this life or death stuff is way overblown. Harbaugh was just the first to say it.
    I could have some bias to my statement because I only hear it in Columbus, but I do feel like the rivalry rings louder in Ohio than in Michigan. If you told me that I would go 11-1 every year, at minimum. And my 1 loss could occur in the final week of the season playing Michigan with an opportunity to clinch a CFP berth, I would sign in blood for that every time. That's essentially where Ohio State is at right now. There's not another program in their stratosphere in the B1G other than Michigan. Penn State was close for a while, but not currently.

I truly believe that people in Columbus would be okay with going 6-6 every year, so long as they beat Michigan annually. They are that "loud" about this rivalry. Now, when the rubber meets the road, I doubt they would really be okay with that, but you see my point.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I've said repeatedly that he tried the Urban Meyer shtick, but it just doesn't work for him. I don't actually think that's Day's real personality. His first year he wasn't like this. A switch flipped before the Michigan game where he blasted a reporter for saying "Michigan" at his weekly press conference. The reception of that comment in OSU land was great, and he won against Harbaugh that year, so he took that persona and ran with it. I think Meyer was a first rate jagoff too, but he never was as abrasive as Day when coaching Ohio State.

I saw Harbaugh's comments about how forced and manufactured that rivalry is. I honestly believe that. You see players on the field laughing and joking with each other before, during, and after the game. The rivalry and hatred is mostly with the people sitting in the crowd. The stuff that Day's done the last three years, all in eventual losses to Michigan, are cringeworthy. Although he was much quieter in the leadup to the game this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

It’s not helping Day’s cause that he doesn’t know how to behave himself and he’s one of the biggest jacka$$es in college football. It was funny how OSU fans embraced his abrasive style, but now that he’s lost to Michigan three times in a row it’s in the conversation about why he has to go.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I think I’m just jealous! I’d take that money and never be seen or heard from again.
    What's even better is they get these buyouts and then the networks have bidding wars over them for the endless pregame and post-game shows. Even more money and zero stress.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Did you see the Frank Reich situation?

Fired as the Colts head coach. Then fired as the Panthers head coach. The terms of both deals will still pay him regardless of whether he gets another job. So Frank Reich is literally collecting money from two NFL teams to NOT be their head coach. LOL
    I think I’m just jealous! I’d take that money and never be seen or heard from again.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X