X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheBigCat2192
    replied
    Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Did you mean that Saban has at least adapted to different schemes and still won at a high level?
    Yes. He’s shifted from a one-back style that was still heavy on single backs and even used I formations to a more shotgun happy spread-to-run and even pass-happy at times offense. It took a bit for things to mesh but the time that Lane Kiffin (of all people) spent there fundamentally changed Alabama’s offensive identity into something more “modern”. Saban’s also maintained his edge in recruiting and hired a long string of successful coordinators. Some of them were former HCs looking to rehab their images like Kiffin and Sarkisian while others were looking for their first jobs elsewhere like Smart. But the list of guys who’ve maintained elite FBS football programs deep into old age in the scholarship limit era is basically just Saban and to a lesser extent Paterno + Bowden at FSU. Guys get old, tired, or develop health issues from the stress of the job and I believe it eventually takes a toll on their on-field performance.

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post
    I’m always wary of aging coaches because I worry about them losing energy for recruiting and being too stuck in their ways to adapt to different schemes or offensive philosophies. Saban is really the only one I can think of who’s consistently done those things. Paterno held on for a long time too but he had some inconsistency at the end of his tenure.
    Did you mean that Saban has at least adapted to different schemes and still won at a high level?

Leave a comment:

• ctrabs74
    replied
    If “Patterson” is talking about Gary Patterson, the guy is 62 and will be 63 by the time the next CFB season starts and his last really good team at TCU was 5 years ago. Surely Nebraska isn’t going to roll the dice on a near retiree who was showing declining performance at the tail end of his last job.
    Nebraska fired Bo Pelini after constantly winning 9-10 games; mind you, part of the reason he was let go was because he was a complete a-hole towards players and other coaches (there were a couple of audio leaks that ultimately did him in), but the spin was that Pelini couldn't win a B1G title, hence he was let go.

That said, I don't think it's a coincidence that Nebraska has been a dumpster fire of a program since then, often going head-to-head with UJoisey as the worst team in the B1G.

Even if Gary Patterson is serious about pursuing one more head coaching gig (I doubt that he is, to be honest), why would he want to go to Lincoln and deal with that nonsense?

Leave a comment:

• TheBigCat2192
    replied
    I’m always wary of aging coaches because I worry about them losing energy for recruiting and being too stuck in their ways to adapt to different schemes or offensive philosophies. Saban is really the only one I can think of who’s consistently done those things. Paterno held on for a long time too but he had some inconsistency at the end of his tenure.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    If “Patterson” is talking about Gary Patterson, the guy is 62 and will be 63 by the time the next CFB season starts and his last really good team at TCU was 5 years ago. Surely Nebraska isn’t going to roll the dice on a near retiree who was showing declining performance at the tail end of his last job.
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigCat2192
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Nebraska is talking to familiar retreads: Monken, Rhule, Patterson, etc. My buddy at another Big 12 athletic dept in a neighboring state says "there's no way in hell Nebraska's big money donors will okay a black coach" meaning interim Mickey Joseph.
    Rhule would be a nice hire. He was the hottest thing in college football prior to jumping to the NFL.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Nebraska is talking to familiar retreads: Monken, Rhule, Patterson, etc. My buddy at another Big 12 athletic dept in a neighboring state says "there's no way in hell Nebraska's big money donors will okay a black coach" meaning interim Mickey Joseph.

Leave a comment:

• canadarican
    replied
    Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I went to grad school at Northwestern (speaking of bad seasons), and we had the misfortune to play Tennessee in a bowl game. Worst fan base online I've ever seen, and that's saying something. I was glad to see them lose for several seasons after that and look forward to the day when they start losing again.
    I live half an hour from Knoxville. There is not a single worse fan base in all of sports than Tennessee Vol fans. BY A COUNTRY MILE.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I went to grad school at Northwestern (speaking of bad seasons), and we had the misfortune to play Tennessee in a bowl game. Worst fan base online I've ever seen, and that's saying something. I was glad to see them lose for several seasons after that and look forward to the day when they start losing again.
    Some D1 message boards make ours like G-Rated. Wow.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

And, what Tennessee has done, will only give many the illusion. The Vols were dumpster fire a couple years ago.

What a profession. You're fired. Here's $17m. Go away.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Ohio State was below Penn State until they hired Tressel.

Every fan base thinks they're one hire away from supremacy.
    And, what Tennessee has done, will only give many the illusion. The Vols were dumpster fire a couple years ago.

What a profession. You're fired. Here's $17m. Go away.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

They had a 3-5 record against OSU in the Big Ten before Ohio State hired Tressel, so I wouldn't call that Ohio State being below them. PSU did have a slight edge over OSU before joining the Big Ten when the schools seldom played each other. Probably didn't word it well, but was also pointing out that you're not necessarily right behind Ohio State when Michigan is eating your lunch as well. I remember quite a few Penn State fans having expectations they were going to dominate the league when they entered. They obviously haven't come anywhere near that.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Penn State hasn't always been right behind Ohio State. Michigan once beat them them nine times in a row before the Wolverines made the mistake of hiring Rich Rodriguez after Carr. Harbaugh now has gotten Michigan back to their former level, and PSU fans are probably going to have to get used to it.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I don't know if Penn State can do much better than what they've got. Do their big money boosters feel that way? Who knows. If Michigan cut Harbaugh loose a few years ago when many felt it was warranted, they wouldn't be where they are now. I'm not saying it translates to keeping Franklin, but if not for the rise of Michigan, Penn State would probably be where it always is: right behind Ohio State. It all doesn't matter until they can somehow overcome Ohio State. Its been a while since Penn State had a fully great season - 2005? I just don't know how much better they can get. At some point these schools need to be content with being above average and hoping for a year where they have 1 or 2 losses instead of 3 or 4. They're gonna have to once all the P5 schools stop playing FCS games.

Its basically the same situation for Pitt.
    Penn State hasn't always been right behind Ohio State. Michigan once beat them them nine times in a row before the Wolverines made the mistake of hiring Rich Rodriguez after Carr. Harbaugh now has gotten Michigan back to their former level, and PSU fans are probably going to have to get used to it.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X