Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bart
    replied
    Bloom won the PSAC Championship in 2019 and has been consistently ranked with 0.48 scholarships. It's coaching.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Most recent numbers I have are for 2018-19

Mercyhurst: 7.88
    UPJ: 7.27
    Seton Hill: 7.22
    East Stroudsburg: 3.96
    Gannon: 3.52
    Millersville: 3.39
    Shepherd: 2.91
    Mansfield: 2.80
    Shippensburg: 2.20
    West Chester: 2.04
    IUP: 1.61
    Kutztown: 1.61
    Lock Haven: 1.58
    California: 1.43
    Slippery Rock: 1.10
    Bloomsburg: 0.48
    Clarion: 0.26
    Thanks for posting. If you throw out the privates and their funny money, ... nobody is really pumping much in to baseball. I realize some load up on academic money, etc., which doesn't land in the scholarship category.

But, at the face value of those numbers, it appears IUP24 and IUPAlum's theory of just poor recruiting practices could definitely have merit. It appears most spend about the same.

1.61 scholarships over a roster? Our starting 3B's cut is like a $10 gift card to Folger Dining Hall.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I would say players play baseball in the PSAC for the love of the game.

Receiving an endowment for a "minor" sport helps to build a winning tradition. So does finding the right leader for the program. Often, a person just emerges who has the right formula, can change the direction of a program, recruit, and win. Then that tradition becomes self-perpetuating. How did the IUP golf program come to be what it is?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

West Chester went 31-17 and first place in the PSAC East with 2.12 full scholarships.
    WCU baseball and football have the same number of scholarships. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, 2.06 divided by, what, 30 guys?

Curious what the 'good' programs spend on baseball -- equivalency-wise?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

West Chester went 31-17 and first place in the PSAC East with 2.12 full scholarships.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

In 2017-18, IUP was at 2.06 full scholarships for baseball. There were three schools lower: Bloomsburg, Clarion, and Kutztown.

Ironically, men's golf and men's swimming don't even have a full scholarship between them.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I wish I could tell you about the scholarship situation there, but I know people who wanted to play there (and had there choice of other surrounding D2 programs to play at) and the coaching staff wouldn't even blink at them. The "we don't recruit local players" line was spoken to more than one person I know who would be considered "locals."
    In 2017-18, IUP was at 2.06 full scholarships for baseball. There were three schools lower: Bloomsburg, Clarion, and Kutztown.

Ironically, men's golf and men's swimming don't even have a full scholarship between them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

What kind of facility does IUP have for baseball and where is it located?
    It's up on the hill near the animal shelter. It's actually pretty nice. If you're on Wayne Ave ... turn at Hosses' and go up the hill. Can't miss it. They built it up there around 2000 or so.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

UPJ probably gets some. The thing is -- end of the day -- not a soul at IUP cares what that program does. It's essentially there for enrollment. These last 5-6 posts on the topic are more publicity than that program has got in the media in the past decade. Can you imagine if Tort or Joe even had one season under.500 (let alone numerous)? Thing is with baseball here losing has become the norm. It's expected.

Personally, I'd like to see them do better. D2 baseball is highly entertaining. Nobody here (Indiana) knows that, but, it is.

You can argue what the biggest program at IUP is currently. It was football for a long time. I think men's basketball may have passed it up in the last decade. Certainly basketball has had much more national success. Regardless, that's 1 and 1-A.

You can't be great at everything. There's just not enough money. Bottom line, I think most are OK with IUP sinking the coin in to the two big programs. Football still needs more money. As it is now, we can be a strong regional team year after year. But, the brass who think we can win a national title are a bit delusional. We don't have the depth. First 22 guys, yeah, IUP can compete with about anybody. It's the next 22 guys on the roster that make or break national titles.

Basketball is a different story. Joe's made the final game twice since 2010. Lost both, but nonetheless. Just getting there is so difficult. But, roster-wise, IUP can win the last game of the season in basketball.

Until we can jump from 23-25 scholarships to MAX, well, it's pretty much a dream on the gridiron. It can happen, but the odds are slim. Take 2017. That was a fantastic IUP football team. If they don't lose Max Redfield for the season in Round 2 ... who knows. I know the team wasn't the same without him the next week -- talent-wise or mentally. Max Redfield's don't grow on trees at this level. He was a once-a-decade player at IUP. He made everybody better -- physically and mentally.
    What kind of facility does IUP have for baseball and where is it located?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Great overview on that earlier post. I couldn't agree more.

Do you think UPJ gobbles up some of those locals that Ditch won't look at? I mean, they're not really a playoff team, but their program is having more success than IUP's.
    UPJ probably gets some. The thing is -- end of the day -- not a soul at IUP cares what that program does. It's essentially there for enrollment. These last 5-6 posts on the topic are more publicity than that program has got in the media in the past decade. Can you imagine if Tort or Joe even had one season under.500 (let alone numerous)? Thing is with baseball here losing has become the norm. It's expected.

Personally, I'd like to see them do better. D2 baseball is highly entertaining. Nobody here (Indiana) knows that, but, it is.

You can argue what the biggest program at IUP is currently. It was football for a long time. I think men's basketball may have passed it up in the last decade. Certainly basketball has had much more national success. Regardless, that's 1 and 1-A.

You can't be great at everything. There's just not enough money. Bottom line, I think most are OK with IUP sinking the coin in to the two big programs. Football still needs more money. As it is now, we can be a strong regional team year after year. But, the brass who think we can win a national title are a bit delusional. We don't have the depth. First 22 guys, yeah, IUP can compete with about anybody. It's the next 22 guys on the roster that make or break national titles.

Basketball is a different story. Joe's made the final game twice since 2010. Lost both, but nonetheless. Just getting there is so difficult. But, roster-wise, IUP can win the last game of the season in basketball.

Until we can jump from 23-25 scholarships to MAX, well, it's pretty much a dream on the gridiron. It can happen, but the odds are slim. Take 2017. That was a fantastic IUP football team. If they don't lose Max Redfield for the season in Round 2 ... who knows. I know the team wasn't the same without him the next week -- talent-wise or mentally. Max Redfield's don't grow on trees at this level. He was a once-a-decade player at IUP. He made everybody better -- physically and mentally.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I wish I could tell you about the scholarship situation there, but I know people who wanted to play there (and had there choice of other surrounding D2 programs to play at) and the coaching staff wouldn't even blink at them. The "we don't recruit local players" line was spoken to more than one person I know who would be considered "locals."
    Great overview on that earlier post. I couldn't agree more.

Do you think UPJ gobbles up some of those locals that Ditch won't look at? I mean, they're not really a playoff team, but their program is having more success than IUP's.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    I talked to Tort last night.
    • Ken Roman is supposed to be back in the fall. He has one semester of eligibility left.
    • Nate Clair is on the roster.
    • Jacob Watts left after the 2019 season to transfer to a school that had the major he wanted. Not sure what it was or where he went.
    • Joe Hauser left the team after the 2019 season but is still in school.
    • Same for Jackson Heasley.
    • Tort told me there are some players who have to pay some of their way and they are unable to, so they are not in school.
    • Players not on the roster for academic, financial, health, or personal reasons (Tort didn't specify which for each of these): Leonard Robinson, David Filippello, Javonte Haynes, Ryan Langdon, Bryon Williams, Cam Turner, Donte Terry, Jordan Washington and Darrell Holloway.
    • Obi Anyatonwu sat out the 2019 season with an injury and transferred to West Chester in January 2020.
    • Gunnar Royar transferred after the 2019 season to Baylor and was the Bears' long snapper last fall.
    • Branden Myers and Tyler Balega have graduated (or will in May) and chosen not to come back.
    • LB Denver Light, the transfer from Penn State, is in school but will not be playing football.
    • Joey Tortorella has been moved from LB to FB and Bryce McCleester has moved from RB to LB.
    Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Some player names missing from the IUP Spring Roster:

Ken Roman - I thought I read that he would be back.

P/K Jordan Washington and Nate Clair. Does this mean the Kicker role is open?

TE Jacob Watts - he had made a good impression in a backup role.

QB Joe Hauser

DB Javonte Haynes - he had seen a lot of action as a true frosh

Other DB's:

Obi Anyatonwu
    Donte Terry
    Darrell Holloway

Otherwise, the roster looks really solid. They should be able to fill Shockley's spot. Maybe another LB and OL. That's about it, though.
    I talked to Tort last night.
    • Ken Roman is supposed to be back in the fall. He has one semester of eligibility left.
    • Nate Clair is on the roster.
    • Jacob Watts left after the 2019 season to transfer to a school that had the major he wanted. Not sure what it was or where he went.
    • Joe Hauser left the team after the 2019 season but is still in school.
    • Same for Jackson Heasley.
    • Tort told me there are some players who have to pay some of their way and they are unable to, so they are not in school.
    • Players not on the roster for academic, financial, health, or personal reasons (Tort didn't specify which for each of these): Leonard Robinson, David Filippello, Javonte Haynes, Ryan Langdon, Bryon Williams, Cam Turner, Donte Terry, Jordan Washington and Darrell Holloway.
    • Obi Anyatonwu sat out the 2019 season with an injury and transferred to West Chester in January 2020.
    • Gunnar Royar transferred after the 2019 season to Baylor and was the Bears' long snapper last fall.
    • Branden Myers and Tyler Balega have graduated (or will in May) and chosen not to come back.
    • LB Denver Light, the transfer from Penn State, is in school but will not be playing football.
    • Joey Tortorella has been moved from LB to FB and Bryce McCleester has moved from RB to LB.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

At least IUP has a great track record in developing kickers. Could also be guys who took the spring off from school. If they're not enrolled they're not supposed to be listed on the roster. Totally conjecture there but common at D2.
    I think in Roman's case he is supposed to be back for the Fall.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X