Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    What's the word coming out of Miller Stadium? Any news on how spring ball is going?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Kind of a zany story six or seven years back or so regarding the IUP field hockey team----I was at Miller Stadium on an August afternoon watching football practice and afterwards I went into the Field House side door to get a drink. Anyways, on the steps were about a dozen or so young coeds sitting there. As I made my way up I asked them if they were a sports team. One of them said they were the field hockey team. I stopped and was trying to think of something supportive to say to them and I just ended up standing there staring into space as nothing at all registered about them. Finally, one young lass spoke up and said that nobody knows who they are or goes to their games. LOL.

As an active supporter of IUP sports at that time I felt kind of bad about it.

What do you mean 'at that time' ... time to give up on that team in Oakland and come back to Tort, Joe and Tom.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Single gift for that amount of work ... the list would be very short.

New lights went in last year. The visitor side is done minus the ugly concrete wall.

Home side is a total demo and rebuild. It depends how much coin they want to spend. You can get fancy with the press box, etc., or perhaps even build some suites (like the KCAC). At minimum, it's rebuilding similar to the existing. Add the prison fencing removal and upgrade. On the cheap end you're probably looking at several million to get started.

Wishful dreaming would be a football complex behind the current stadium (indoor facility, etc.).

With Miller I think it's the same old question ... is it worth it for 5 to 7 home dates a year? I know other sports use it but ... it wouldn't be done for the field hockey team. Put it that way.
    Kind of a zany story six or seven years back or so regarding the IUP field hockey team----I was at Miller Stadium on an August afternoon watching football practice and afterwards I went into the Field House side door to get a drink. Anyways, on the steps were about a dozen or so young coeds sitting there. As I made my way up I asked them if they were a sports team. One of them said they were the field hockey team. I stopped and was trying to think of something supportive to say to them and I just ended up standing there staring into space as nothing at all registered about them. Finally, one young lass spoke up and said that nobody knows who they are or goes to their games. LOL.

As an active supporter of IUP sports at that time I felt kind of bad about it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Single gift for that amount of work ... the list would be very short.

New lights went in last year. The visitor side is done minus the ugly concrete wall.

Home side is a total demo and rebuild. It depends how much coin they want to spend. You can get fancy with the press box, etc., or perhaps even build some suites (like the KCAC). At minimum, it's rebuilding similar to the existing. Add the prison fencing removal and upgrade. On the cheap end you're probably looking at several million to get started.

Wishful dreaming would be a football complex behind the current stadium (indoor facility, etc.).

With Miller I think it's the same old question ... is it worth it for 5 to 7 home dates a year? I know other sports use it but ... it wouldn't be done for the field hockey team. Put it that way.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I know you always hated it and even mere mention of the two-QB system would get your blood up. LOL.
    Not ruling it out for 2021 ... to some extent, anyway.

That all hinges, of course, on convincing the non-starter to actually stay.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Gary West, and oil & gas investor in Wheeling. He paid for stadium renovations (seating, turf, lights). Their College of Business is named after him. He's buddies with Bob Nutting.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I never was in favor of the two quarterback system... Lol
    I know you always hated it and even mere mention of the two-QB system would get your blood up. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Brad Paisley or Saint Crutch?
    Gary West, and oil & gas investor in Wheeling. He paid for stadium renovations (seating, turf, lights). Their College of Business is named after him. He's buddies with Bob Nutting.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

Same here traditionally, but IUP24 won me over on it. It is a core part of his philosophy regarding the game of football.
    I never was in favor of the two quarterback system... Lol

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

WL used to have one of those retail outposts in that big plaza. I believe it was all developed by their sugar daddy.

I agree about losing time there. Even when I don't need anything.
    Brad Paisley or Saint Crutch?

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Also led the league in canceled classes! hahaha
    I had him later in the afternoon (around four or so) so I don't think that was too much of a problem. But I always did wonder what was in the cup? LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    One passing of note is that of Dr. Gene Thibadeau of IUP's Foundation of Education department. He was 87. A an absolutely brilliant man who easily had to be the highest mind that I ever encountered at IUP (Charles Cashdollar not far behind). Tibby, as he liked to call himself was a bit of an IUP icon who taught at the university for 40 years. Smart as heck, crazy as hell and funny as sin is probably a good way to describe him. No one who ever encountered him is likely to ever forget him. A one of a kind!
    Also led the league in canceled classes! hahaha

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    One passing of note is that of Dr. Gene Thibadeau of IUP's Foundation of Education department. He was 87. A an absolutely brilliant man who easily had to be the highest mind that I ever encountered at IUP (Charles Cashdollar not far behind). Tibby, as he liked to call himself was a bit of an IUP icon who taught at the university for 40 years. Smart as heck, crazy as hell and funny as sin is probably a good way to describe him. No one who ever encountered him is likely to ever forget him. A one of a kind!

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I hit the golf courses pretty regularly. Nobody ever fishes them so they are fun. My home course has two lakes and 5 decent-size ponds. It's essentially my own fishing club. I haven't seen another member fish there in probably 5-6 years. I keep my membership for the fishing ... I probably golf it less than 10 times a year.

Locally, I fish Loyalhanna a lot along with Yellow Creek and Keystone. Blue Spruce is a waste of time. The Kiski River has emerged as a great fishing spot. It's fairly loaded and while it's become huge for the kayak crowd, it doesn't get fished much.

Keystone Power Dam was the holylands of fishing in the 80s. It's still OK but the Amish hit it relentlessly.

I do trout season up in the Cook Forest area.
    Grew up spending summers in Edinboro so I've been a bass & panfish guy most of my life. I do love some musky fishing and river fishing for smallmouth. My parents have a boat docked at Moraine so I'll do some bass fishing there with my dad. Never got into trout but would once love to go after some native brookies in the mountains.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

WL used to have one of those retail outposts in that big plaza. I believe it was all developed by their sugar daddy.

I agree about losing time there. Even when I don't need anything.
    I hit the golf courses pretty regularly. Nobody ever fishes them so they are fun. My home course has two lakes and 5 decent-size ponds. It's essentially my own fishing club. I haven't seen another member fish there in probably 5-6 years. I keep my membership for the fishing ... I probably golf it less than 10 times a year.

Locally, I fish Loyalhanna a lot along with Yellow Creek and Keystone. Blue Spruce is a waste of time. The Kiski River has emerged as a great fishing spot. It's fairly loaded and while it's become huge for the kayak crowd, it doesn't get fished much.

Keystone Power Dam was the holylands of fishing in the 80s. It's still OK but the Amish hit it relentlessly.

I do trout season up in the Cook Forest area.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X