X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Sure I agree - but I'll acknowledge that SRU seems different. It transcends generations - almost in that old school college fraternity sense. If you know anyone who played at Penn State, I'd compare it to the Letterman Club.
    It exists. IUP men's basketball has that culture.

It's actually hard to find.

Leave a comment:

• BADinPA
    replied

Gary West, and oil & gas investor in Wheeling. He paid for stadium renovations (seating, turf, lights). Their College of Business is named after him. He's buddies with Bob Nutting.
    The amount of money required to renovate/construct a first-class small college stadium can be astronomical. I know a billionaire who built a first-class business purchased by Walmart. He was the stadium benefactor of a D-III program in Texas that gave in excess of $300 million. Intentionally, I am not identifying the donor or the university.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Alderson Broaddus is looking for a Week 1 game. There's the cupcake game if IUP wants a tune-up prior to Kutztown and Shepherd.
    They only play ten games per season now in the regular season. Seems like policy.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I would argue most teams "have a sense of brotherhood."
    Surprisingly no. Probably a good majority of the successful teams have it to some degree. Or at least they are able to function together. But a lot of teams out there probably have a disconnect with one another and do not get along very well aside from the little cliques that exist within the unit. Look at the Pitt MBB team this year. A lot of friction, jealousy and strife. It happens more than you think.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Sure I agree - but I'll acknowledge that SRU seems different. It transcends generations - almost in that old school college fraternity sense. If you know anyone who played at Penn State, I'd compare it to the Letterman Club.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

SRU football does have a sense of brotherhood. I think that's something cultivated by Mihalek and able to be continued by Lutz with his long tenure. Its something I sense Edinboro used to have in the Hollman-Tepper-Browning years with Browning being the cog similar to Lutz. I bet that camaraderie being developed by Mihalek was a big part of his avoidance of transfers. Too many were using D2 to play ball and salvage their pro prospects.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Alderson Broaddus is looking for a Week 1 game. There's the cupcake game if IUP wants a tune-up prior to Kutztown and Shepherd.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

That would be my guess. Saw an article boasting about SRU's "football culture" and how no player who would have started last year opted to transfer, graduate, or move on with their life's work. They had a very small high school class. The fallout is you miss out on some guys potentially, and it looks like they missed out on quite a big one.

D1 is a little easier to kind of predict because most are on full rides. It will be unique to see how the scholarship variations in the next couple of years will impact what D2 teams are keeping/bringing in. There's the old saying of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Seems like each time a team brings in a player now, there will be a corresponding move.
    SRU football does have a sense of brotherhood. I think that's something cultivated by Mihalek and able to be continued by Lutz with his long tenure. Its something I sense Edinboro used to have in the Hollman-Tepper-Browning years with Browning being the cog similar to Lutz. I bet that camaraderie being developed by Mihalek was a big part of his avoidance of transfers. Too many were using D2 to play ball and salvage their pro prospects.

Leave a comment:

• IUP24
    replied

I felt all along they needed an impact LB in this transfer class. From reading some other boards it sounds like many thought he was going to land at SRU. They may be maxed out on spending.

I suspect IUP adds at least a couple more transfers in the coming weeks -- possibly in to May after D1 spring ball ends and the portal floods.
    That would be my guess. Saw an article boasting about SRU's "football culture" and how no player who would have started last year opted to transfer, graduate, or move on with their life's work. They had a very small high school class. The fallout is you miss out on some guys potentially, and it looks like they missed out on quite a big one.

D1 is a little easier to kind of predict because most are on full rides. It will be unique to see how the scholarship variations in the next couple of years will impact what D2 teams are keeping/bringing in. There's the old saying of for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Seems like each time a team brings in a player now, there will be a corresponding move.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Looks like he has a lot of potential. Tremendous high school resume (first team PIAA, Big 33, state defensive POY) from a very good small school program. Kind of surprised he didn't end up at SRU.
    I felt all along they needed an impact LB in this transfer class. From reading some other boards it sounds like many thought he was going to land at SRU. They may be maxed out on spending.

I suspect IUP adds at least a couple more transfers in the coming weeks -- possibly in to May after D1 spring ball ends and the portal floods.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    New addition:

Malachi Newell / LB / Youngstown State

He will have one year at IUP.

Signed and sealed.
    Looks like he has a lot of potential. Tremendous high school resume (first team PIAA, Big 33, state defensive POY) from a very good small school program. Kind of surprised he didn't end up at SRU.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    New addition:

Malachi Newell / LB / Youngstown State

He will have one year at IUP.

Signed and sealed.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Hasn't got any pub on here but obviously the PSAC skipped last year's missed schedule.

Last year we had road games at Kutztown, Shepherd and Adamson. Downside is we play at Gym Teacher U this year but the above three are now all at Miller.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    What's the word coming out of Miller Stadium? Any news on how spring ball is going?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Single gift for that amount of work ... the list would be very short.

New lights went in last year. The visitor side is done minus the ugly concrete wall.

Home side is a total demo and rebuild. It depends how much coin they want to spend. You can get fancy with the press box, etc., or perhaps even build some suites (like the KCAC). At minimum, it's rebuilding similar to the existing. Add the prison fencing removal and upgrade. On the cheap end you're probably looking at several million to get started.

Wishful dreaming would be a football complex behind the current stadium (indoor facility, etc.).

With Miller I think it's the same old question ... is it worth it for 5 to 7 home dates a year? I know other sports use it but ... it wouldn't be done for the field hockey team. Put it that way.
    IUP has the alumni - but I don't believe any that are big athletics donors. I also don't believe that replacing Miller is a priority. If they make a big ask for football it will be for scholarships, not a new home side. But if the donor approached the university they'd more than likely consider it. Play your PowerBall folks!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X