Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that would be harder now even if the IUP rule was re-instated because the Gym Teachers and the Spocks would be be all over it too. Not quite sure about Shepherd though, I think they'd have to come up with some more funding for the foosball program because offering degrees not offered at other schools are probably not enough to attract the big timers. Also, have to factor in the portal because it's easier for FBS and FCS players to move laterally instead of down to D2.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd prefer they play 11 road games next year. They could hold Homecoming at Clarion.

Aside from the 2-3 home record this year, it was just a bad home season. The Kutztown win had a great crowd. It was awful the rest of the way. I call it the Funeral Home. Could be a neat nickname for a stadium in the right context. It's not the right context, however.
      The Library?

Shhh!

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The Library?

Shhh!
        Lol. Not bad.

Comment

• It has had a name for a long time - The Crypt.

Comment

• Originally posted by GregD View Post
            It has had a name for a long time - The Crypt.
            The crowd at the Cal game was actually a total embarrassment for IUP. I really mean that. The home side was half empty in the third quarter and probably 75% empty in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile the band left at halftime and the visiting side went crazy (with their football-themed band and traveling cheerleaders).

I've seen some lows at IUP but that day -- added all together -- is a tough one to topple.

Comment

The crowd at the Cal game was actually a total embarrassment for IUP. I really mean that. The home side was half empty in the third quarter and probably 75% empty in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile the band left at halftime and the visiting side went crazy (with their football-themed band and traveling cheerleaders).

I've seen some lows at IUP but that day -- added all together -- is a tough one to topple.
              Yet the overall attendance in the other thread is 2nd in the PSAC. I just don't see any reason that IUP can't draw better for football. They should be able to. I know, I've heard about kids going home on the weekend and all that but they should be able to bring more people in and make it more of an event (like BB).

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Yet the overall attendance in the other thread is 2nd in the PSAC. I just don't see any reason that IUP can't draw better for football. They should be able to. I know, I've heard about kids going home on the weekend and all that but they should be able to bring more people in and make it more of an event (like BB).
                It's odd. Yes, the gate numbers did improve. Do the gate numbers accurately reflect attendance? I have my doubts. The Edinboro game in particular I think was a figment of the imagination.

I just went on a rant above about the Cal game. That's the perfect example. Cal had the visitor side filled up. Their band made the trip -- and was engaged. Their cheerleaders came. I don't know how many fans they brought but it was enough to clearly take over the stadium. Being honest, I'm not sure Cal stayed in that game without them. They were that effective.

Cross the field and you enter the Crypt, Funeral Home, Library ... whatever you want to call it. And, mind you, IUP was winning for, what, 55 minutes of that game? Yet, it was a mass exit after half time.

IUP has core fans. I think they are just too spread out. I've said on here for years to do away with the reserved seats on the home side. If they must keep them, just make the top 5-6 rows reserved and everything below them first-come, first-served. Let the students sit behind the team in the middle section (first 10 rows or so). Give the actual fans the chance to sit near each other. The IUP contingent at SRU this year is the perfect example -- packed in tight and became a vocal force.

Secondly, the Ghostbusters are in Siberia. It's long overdue to move them back to the home side. I liked the DJ playing modern, in-game music, but half the time he's playing at the same time the band is playing and it just doesn't work. Leave him down there and put the band back where they used to sit on the home side. Crowds feed off the band (well, most bands, anyway). Perhaps now, too, the band will start playing actual football-type music with its new director.

By the gate, you can say the 2 p.m. starts did help. Flipside is I think far too many start tailgating and never actually come inside. IUP needs to shut off tailgating once the game starts (like PSU and others) and once you're inside, you're inside. If you leave, you buy another ticket to come back inside. You get people half buzzed up that come inside ... by halftime they are going back to tailgate. It happened nearly every home game aside from Kutztown. Or, just start selling beer inside the stadium. They do at basketball games. IUP had more tailgating during the second half of the Cal game than it had on the home bleachers. That happened. IUP introduced tailgating as a means to attract more fans to the game -- not to have an afternoon-long party in the lot and not come inside.

It's just a weird, weird creature of an atmosphere at IUP football games. You ask the casual fan their thought and the answer would all be the same ... they say the games are boring. I hear it all the time. I don't think there is a magic button to push to fix it. But, there are little things that can help.

Comment

2022 Schedule

Week 1 - TBD

In order:

@ East Stroudsburg
                  @ Shippensburg
                  Mercyhurst
                  Slippery Rock
                  @California
                  @ Edinboro
                  Seton Hill
                  @ Gannon
                  Clarion
                  Bloomsburg (or State Game)

The first two crossovers aren't quite Kutztown and Shepherd but they are tough games. Shippensburg may be one of the better East teams next year. I'd sure hope the thinking is to get a Week 1 (home) game next year.
                  The teams that play 4 home West games are the teams that must start with 2 road games, quite simple to figure out.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Take a closer look at the 2022 schedule.
                    • Week 1, all games are in the East.
                    • Week 2, half of them are in the East (Clar@LH, SR @ Mill, Cal @ Shep and IUP @ Ship) while the other half (Bloom @ Edin, WC @ Gan, ESU @ SHU and Kutz @ MC) are in the West.
                    • Week 11, all games are in the West.
                    The result is four teams start with two away games, four teams start with two home games, and eight teams play one of each.

Comment

• Because there are three crossover games. Eight teams get two at home; Eight teams get one.
                      http://www.indianagazette.com
                      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Comment

• There weren't enough people wearing their IUP gear from the Co-Op Store. That's what gets the team fired up. So I hear, anyway.

Comment

• Can u Ramp up the Drama a little more. Give me a break. I am sure there was worse days then beating the 5th ranked team in the country for over 59 minutes. Take that noise elsewhere.

Comment

• I can empathize with that. Without a doubt, the combo of the Cal and Boro games felt like we hit rock bottom. I saw my first IUP football game in 1977 and I have never been as disappointed as during this year, even during seasons when the team emerged with a less than .700 winning %.

Comment

• Well, I wouldn't say Tort gave Javon a warm and fuzzy feeling on his show tonight. It was the last position Jack brought up. Reading between the lines of his answer I'd say it's pretty clear they are shopping for a QB. Not to say Javon won't win the job but I certainly got the vibe they are looking for another Maxwell/Harry.

Tort also said they advertised today for a home and home series for Week 1. IUP wants a home game the first year as its first two already-scheduled games are away.

When Jack broke it down tonight they really do have an abundance back next year. Remember three guys missed the entire season (LB, S and WR). He said counting those three they will have 48 of their top 57 back.

Tort gave a special mention to Houser's younger brother. They are pretty excited about him. He took a redshirt this year. Sounds like he will be a jack of many trades next year.

He also said he expects the one freshman safety from this year to transition to LB (name slips me).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X