Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'd target Glenville State or Ashland for the opener. It will be Kellar's fourth season at GSU so they should be at least decent. Ashland is obviously a tougher venture. They went 5-5 this year but lost their starting QB along the way. They lost to Notre Dame (OH) 42-35 in OT. They also took a loss to No. 1 Ferris State. So, they played two elite programs in non-conference. Ashland then lost close to Ohio Dominican, Tiffin and Findlay. So, it's pretty clear that .500 record was deceiving.

IUP's crossover isn't as difficult as this year but it should produce two above .500 opponents in ESU and Shippensburg. ESU tanked down the stretch this year but by all accounts are a team on the rise. Shippensburg is getting a lot of buzz as a potential East contender next year. Throw in Rock and Cal and the SOS should be fine.

Ashland is the marquee match-up. Glenville State would be the safest opponent. Charleston would also pose a playoff-level game. No interest in seeing Alderson-Broaddus.

Comment

• AB would be a waste of time and a big SOS hit. No thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        I'd target Glenville State or Ashland for the opener. It will be Kellar's fourth season at GSU so they should be at least decent. Ashland is obviously a tougher venture. They went 5-5 this year but lost their starting QB along the way. They lost to Notre Dame (OH) 42-35 in OT. They also took a loss to No. 1 Ferris State. So, they played two elite programs in non-conference. Ashland then lost close to Ohio Dominican, Tiffin and Findlay. So, it's pretty clear that .500 record was deceiving.

IUP's crossover isn't as difficult as this year but it should produce two above .500 opponents in ESU and Shippensburg. ESU tanked down the stretch this year but by all accounts are a team on the rise. Shippensburg is getting a lot of buzz as a potential East contender next year. Throw in Rock and Cal and the SOS should be fine.

Ashland is the marquee match-up. Glenville State would be the safest opponent. Charleston would also pose a playoff-level game. No interest in seeing Alderson-Broaddus.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

If Joe was the coach, they'd schedule Ferris state.

Comment

• LOL, why not ? Or should we always set the bar low enough for your buddies to look good ?

Comment

LOL, why not ? Or should we always set the bar low enough for your buddies to look good ?

In recent history (past 10-15 years) the basketball program has blown past the football program. Joe's won numerous conference titles (including the past two) and played in the national title game twice. They could make a real deep run this year.

They are both good programs, but Joe has just elevated his program a full step above.

Joe is fully-funded and does have a Top 5 arena (nicer than most D1 mid-majors, in fact). The football program uses facilities on par with most WPIAL Class AA programs. What IUP lacks in football facilities, I think they make up in other area's -- big campus, nice college town, etc. I have no idea if they lose recruits over the facilities. IUP has been winning for a long time in football so I don't they play that much of a role. They can still give out a lot of money to offset the aesthetics of the facilities and stadium.

Comment

In recent history (past 10-15 years) the basketball program has blown past the football program. Joe's won numerous conference titles (including the past two) and played in the national title game twice. They could make a real deep run this year.

They are both good programs, but Joe has just elevated his program a full step above.

Joe is fully-funded and does have a Top 5 arena (nicer than most D1 mid-majors, in fact). The football program uses facilities on par with most WPIAL Class AA programs. What IUP lacks in football facilities, I think they make up in other area's -- big campus, nice college town, etc. I have no idea if they lose recruits over the facilities. IUP has been winning for a long time in football so I don't they play that much of a role. They can still give out a lot of money to offset the aesthetics of the facilities and stadium.
                I hear what you saying buddy, but the PSAC in basketball compared to football is like 6A in the WPIAL to 1A. PSAC Basketball stinks! On the other hand PSAC Football, has IUP, Slimy Pebble, Cal U, Shepherd, Kutztown, West Chester etc in the past, so much better and way more competitive. Joe has the nicest basketball arena in D2, while Football might have the worst stadium in D2. The Athletic administration needs to step it up on the football end. Absolutely ridiculous, that they play in that stadium and have those facilities.

Comment

LOL, why not ? Or should we always set the bar low enough for your buddies to look good ?
                  Nothing to due with buddies, called being smart, scheduling tough non conference not worth it in football for numerous reasons. If your not smart enough to figure it out then so be it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP PSAC Fan View Post

I hear what you saying buddy, but the PSAC in basketball compared to football is like 6A in the WPIAL to 1A. PSAC Basketball stinks! On the other hand PSAC Football, has IUP, Slimy Pebble, Cal U, Shepherd, Kutztown, West Chester etc in the past, so much better and way more competitive. Joe has the nicest basketball arena in D2, while Football might have the worst stadium in D2. The Athletic administration needs to step it up on the football end. Absolutely ridiculous, that they play in that stadium and have those facilities.
                    I'll play along.

Our top basketball schools can compete nationally. Our top football schools cannot. PSAC basketball is one of the deepest and most competitive leagues in all of D2.

IUP, Mercyhurst, California, Gannon, UPJ, Shippensburg, West Chester, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Millersville ... all very strong programs. The PSAC is also in the same Region with the Mountain East, which also has several national-level programs (West Liberty, Fairmont State, Charleston). IUP has played for two national titles in the past 11 years. East Stroudsburg and Mercyhurst have made the Elite 8. Fairmont State and West Liberty have also made the national title game in that stretch out of the Atlantic Region.

Our football teams annually get walloped after the SR1 bracket. That doesn't happen in basketball.

The PSAC has very good football -- but is very top heavy. The bottom half of the league stinks. But, the league will win a national title in basketball long before it does so in football.

Comment

• Originally posted by Iupgh View Post

Nothing to due with buddies, called being smart, scheduling tough non conference not worth it in football for numerous reasons. If your not smart enough to figure it out then so be it.
                      Oh I get why they don't schedule the top programs, but it shouldn't be something that they are satisfied with. improvement begins with higher expectations. Basketball had high expectations before they had good success. Its important to give the young men on the team a look at what a good D2 team really is. part of the teams problem is they have no idea what it means to be a great team, playing 5-7 teams that don't require any discipline at all to beat. and 3-4 teams with equal talent, wher ethey win or lose based on a few mistakes, and good or bad schemes. The Best SR1 team this year will not be competitive outside the region.

Comment

• Comment

I'll play along.

Our top basketball schools can compete nationally. Our top football schools cannot. PSAC basketball is one of the deepest and most competitive leagues in all of D2.

IUP, Mercyhurst, California, Gannon, UPJ, Shippensburg, West Chester, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Millersville ... all very strong programs. The PSAC is also in the same Region with the Mountain East, which also has several national-level programs (West Liberty, Fairmont State, Charleston). IUP has played for two national titles in the past 11 years. East Stroudsburg and Mercyhurst have made the Elite 8. Fairmont State and West Liberty have also made the national title game in that stretch out of the Atlantic Region.

Our football teams annually get walloped after the SR1 bracket. That doesn't happen in basketball.

The PSAC has very good football -- but is very top heavy. The bottom half of the league stinks. But, the league will win a national title in basketball long before it does so in football.
                          Well said!!!

Comment

• Sounds like the football side is jealous of Joe and what Joe has. Hey football... start winning big games and raising money then maybe you can win the region. BUUUUUUUUT... I hate to tell you, you never win more than the region. Region 1 just can't compete nationally!

Comment

I'll play along.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                                Sounds like the football side is jealous of Joe and what Joe has. Hey football... start winning big games and raising money then maybe you can win the region. BUUUUUUUUT... I hate to tell you, you never win more than the region. Region 1 just can't compete nationally!
                                IUP one the region in 2017. They were the number 1 team in the country in every poll from Week 5 on. They came back and should have beat West Florida, just ran out of time. Also if I remember right Max Redfield and Dondre Tillman did not play in that game. If I remember right IUP got screwed of a call in the 4th quarter that could have changed the outcome. If Redfield and Tillman were playing in that game they would have been playing in the National Championship.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X