Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You mean like how everyone along I-80 got their way but not letting it get tolled and now everyone who lives along the Turnpike is paying outrageous tolls because nobody in Harrisburg has thought to revise Act 44 after the feds struck down tolling 80.

So upstate gets free roads and Southeastern PA gets ****ed over yet again and gets handed the bill.
    Yeah, it hasn't escaped my notice that states or geographic areas within states that paint themselves as havens for rugged individualists have no problem with benefitting from government programs when it suits them. Some representatives who are now trumpeting the money infrastructure projects are bringing to their regions are the same people who voted against those projects in Congress.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yeah, it hasn't escaped my notice that states or geographic areas within states that paint themselves as havens for rugged individualists have no problem with benefitting from government programs when it suits them. Some representatives who are now trumpeting the money infrastructure projects are bringing to their regions are the same people who voted against those projects in Congress.
      It costs the same amount of tolls for me to go from the Downingtown Interchange to Fort Washington as it does to go from Downingtown to Lebanon-Lancaster and it's 20 miles longer. The rate per mile is much higher on the far eastern end of the Pike.

Act 44 needed to be redone. Now the Turnpike is deep in debt paying money to PennDOT that should be coming from tolls from 80.

Cletus and April Mae June said their economy would be destroyed if they had tolls along 80.

But they were okay when rural politicians said they should toll the Surekill Expressway to pay for SEPTA's funding.

Wouldn't that ruin our economy?

I may make people mad in saying this and I don't care but Rural PA holds the state back.

Comment

• IUP is in trouble, and may be holding the State back...a 40 percent decline in student population since 2012 is battering the university’s finances.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educa...ment-freshmen/

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
          IUP is in trouble, and may be holding the State back...a 40 percent decline in student population since 2012 is battering the university’s finances.

IUP's enrollment is up slightly this year. They brought back the cap on per-credit tuition and marketed it as a 20% reduction in tuition. That's all smoke and mirrors but it reads really well to the masses. But they're still down quite a bit from their peak. There's a lot of factors in there that plays into that. They've cut mid and upper level management and recently hired an ass ton of entry level advisors to keep students on the right path academically.

PennWest is the new anchor now that Cheyney has a balanced budget.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

IUP's enrollment is up slightly this year. They brought back the cap on per-credit tuition and marketed it as a 20% reduction in tuition. That's all smoke and mirrors but it reads really well to the masses. But they're still down quite a bit from their peak. There's a lot of factors in there that plays into that. They've cut mid and upper level management and recently hired an ass ton of entry level advisors to keep students on the right path academically.

I'm hearing things aren't going well for EITHER triad...

Comment

The diploma factory era is lost to history. It's never getting back to those numbers.

Ironically the nicest the campus has ever been ...

Comment

They're each 3-link chains. You're only as strong as your weakest link. Mansfield is still struggling and hurting the other two. Lock Haven is alright but not nearly at the same level of alarm as Mansfield.

Kutztown is down quite a bit this year, too. Unfortunately the folks who need to be held accountable for recruiting & advising students are unionized so you can't just jettison them for poor performance. They have to violate policy or be convinced to leave.

Comment

From what I've heard, about $65 million went toward bailing out PennWest this year.

Comment

IUP is in trouble, and may be holding the State back...a 40 percent decline in student population since 2012 is battering the university’s finances.

That article is more than a year old now, but some of the problems obviously still apply. What is does nail is Pennsylvania's generally crappy support for public higher education. Something is wrong when a high cost-of-living state such as New Jersey can have lower average tuition than Pa. West Virginia, one of the poorest states in the country, has lower tuitions (as well as a higher minimum wage than Pa.).

Comment

They're each 3-link chains. You're only as strong as your weakest link. Mansfield is still struggling and hurting the other two. Lock Haven is alright but not nearly at the same level of alarm as Mansfield.

Kutztown is down quite a bit this year, too. Unfortunately the folks who need to be held accountable for recruiting & advising students are unionized so you can't just jettison them for poor performance. They have to violate policy or be convinced to leave.
                      I still think the triad creation was the last 'we tried' PR stunt before they ultimately close some doors.

Clarion is a total ghost town these days. It's sad.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I still think the triad creation was the last 'we tried' PR stunt before they ultimately close some doors.

It will wither down to a resource for locals. In the future, people won't actually 'go to' Clarion.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The legislature won't close any campuses anytime soon. Too bad of a PR blunder.

Comment

Speaking of a freeloader enjoying his free I-80…,

Comment

I nominate this for the least timely post of all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

As someone who makes a living off of other peoples taxes, thanks for the job.
                                The point is there are fewer students now and there will be even fewer students in the foreseeable future. Yet faculty levels remain the same, which is an unnecessary expense.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X