Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Bloom was better off than most SSHE schools before Covid; they were the 3rd largest school in the system. That and geography were probably why they were picked to help prop up the others.

I like to think of myself as a long time supporter of Bloom athletics myself, since 1976.
    I have to be honest with you, Bart. If the Bloomsburg community had cried foul as much as the Lock Haven community did at the time, the merger might have possibly been averted. Who knows? Granted, some Bloom folks did. At the time, from what I recall, many of the Bloom constituents perceived the merger as Bloom absorbing two other, smaller schools and becoming the kingpin of PASSHE in the NE/NC part of the state. A lot of people saw it as making Bloom a bigger and better entity. Right, it hasn't worked out that way. Bloom accepted it to a great extent and, I believe, Hanna pushed it. Lock Haven believed they were getting screwed but it hasn't worked out as bad for them as they imagined.

Comment

I like to think of myself as a long time supporter of Bloom athletics myself, since 1976.
      I go back a long time with Bloom, too. The Huskies are sort of in my DNA. Get this, my 4th great-uncle was one of the founders of Bloom. He started the science and math departments in the 1860's. In 1870, when the then president (they might have called him the principal) left abruptly, my forebear stepped in and saved the school from an untimely demise, although he never assumed the presidency himself. True story. So, yes, you can thank me for your undergraduate education.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I have to be honest with you, Bart. If the Bloomsburg community had cried foul as much as the Lock Haven community did at the time, the merger might have possibly been averted. Who knows? Granted, some Bloom folks did. At the time, from what I recall, many of the Bloom constituents perceived the merger as Bloom absorbing two other, smaller schools and becoming the kingpin of PASSHE in the NE/NC part of the state. A lot of people saw it as making Bloom a bigger and better entity. Right, it hasn't worked out that way. Bloom accepted it to a great extent and, I believe, Hanna pushed it. Lock Haven believed they were getting screwed but it hasn't worked out as bad for them as they imagined.
        I don't doubt much of what you write there, except Bloom was already the kingpin of the NE/NC part of the state before the merger and may still be according to current enrollment numbers.
        Also, applications for next year are up 22% right now.

Comment

I go back a long time with Bloom, too. The Huskies are sort of in my DNA. Get this, my 4th great-uncle was one of the founders of Bloom. He started the science and math departments in the 1860's. In 1870, when the then president (they might have called him the principal) left abruptly, my forebear stepped in and saved the school from an untimely demise, although he never assumed the presidency himself. True story. So, yes, you can thank me for your undergraduate education.
          And if you ever ate in Foster Dining Hall, you can thank me because I worked there.

Comment

And if you ever ate in Foster Dining Hall, you can thank me because I worked there.
            That was you?
            Last edited by iupgroundhog; 10-31-2023, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Commonwealth enrollment numbers are broken down by school and available on their website.
              They probably don't have anything to hide

Comment

I don't doubt much of what you write there, except Bloom was already the kingpin of the NE/NC part of the state before the merger and may still be according to current enrollment numbers.
                Also, applications for next year are up 22% right now.
                22% is a good number. How do you separate that level of success from the influence of being part of Commonwealth University and the advantages/selling points they are promoting?

Comment

22% is a good number. How do you separate that level of success from the influence of being part of Commonwealth University and the advantages/selling points they are promoting?
                  That number is for Bloomsburg, don't know what is going on at the others. It's no stretch to say they were getting at least four applicants for every one enrolled in the past, so I wouldn't say Commwealth is helping. Right now some incentives may help, such as local high school students taking courses at a reduced cost, and guaranteed admission and $3000 to $7000 scholarships to local students with at least an 80 average.

Comment

That number is for Bloomsburg, don't know what is going on at the others. It's no stretch to say they were getting at least four applicants for every one enrolled in the past, so I wouldn't say Commwealth is helping. Right now some incentives may help, such as local high school students taking courses at a reduced cost, and guaranteed admission and $3000 to $7000 scholarships to local students with at least an 80 average.
                    I certainly hope Commonwealth University works and that LHU and Bloom are able to retain a unique identity in the process.

Comment

I certainly hope Commonwealth University works and that LHU and Bloom are able to retain a unique identity in the process.
                      Physically, yes. Culturally, no. Eventually operationally they'll be a Bloomsburg branch campus. Bloomsburg management calls the shots. Also eventually the Commonwealth University branding will take over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Physically, yes. Culturally, no. Eventually operationally they'll be a Bloomsburg branch campus. Bloomsburg management calls the shots. Also eventually the Commonwealth University branding will take over.
                        With Edinboro getting new turf will they be first to have the new branding on display?

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I don't see that kind of centralized structure as it continues to evolve. I believe that is what concerns Bart.

Comment

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. I don't see that kind of centralized structure as it continues to evolve. I believe that is what concerns Bart.
                            I would hate to lose Bloomsburg identity to a name change. Niagara Fall is in Niagara, N.Y. Bloomsburg University is in Bloomsburg, Pa.. Where is Commonwealth University? Iceland? Liberia? Bahamas? Kentucky????? I wanna go back.
                            "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them."
                            Andy from the office

Comment

I would hate to lose Bloomsburg identity to a name change. Niagara Fall is in Niagara, N.Y. Bloomsburg University is in Bloomsburg, Pa.. Where is Commonwealth University? Iceland? Liberia? Bahamas? Kentucky????? I wanna go back.
                              "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them."
                              Andy from the office
                              I guess Commonwealth University could be in Kentucky.

Comment

I guess Commonwealth University could be in Kentucky.
                                Every place mentioned is a Commonwealth.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X