Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

"My philosophy is basically this. And this is something that I live by. And I always have. And I always will. Don't ever, for any reason, do anything to anyone, for any reason, ever, no matter what. No matter... where. Or who, or who you are with, or, or where you are going, or... or where you've been... ever. For any reason, whatsoever."
    Michael Scott
    Now if we could get all of the PSAC Football posters to heed those words.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

When you play the victim all the time, yes...
      Any “success” East Dennyburg had from
      1994-2007 was courtesy of the IUP Rule. You couldn’t touch us before it… Frank owned Denny.

33-0!!!
      Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2024, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I'm a guy who had an English-History concentration in school and occasionally hears smart remarks at reunions and other get-togethers to the tune of, "Oh, you're an English major and you actually had a job?" Actually, I never lacked a job over a period of 45 years, and none of the humanities majors I know of from my class have had any problem, either. Employers look for people who can communicate and who are adaptable. A strong work ethic doesn't hurt. Changing demographics in the U.S. should ensure a strong job market for college graduates for some time. If nothing else, there is a tremendous demand for teachers in almost all subjects.
        When I worked at Mobil Oil in the 90’s, an executive at an informal work event told us that a college degree only gets your foot in the door. I believe that to be true. Getting through college unscathed proves you are trainable. Most jobs really train you to do the job. Most office jobs shouldn’t even require a bachelor’s degree…an associates at best.

Comment

• "The purpose of choosing Bloomsburg campus was to serve as a safety net for all three institutions. Whereas each campus used to handle its own finances, today they function as a single organization to manage funds."
          Another Bloom donation of $7 million to be shared across the three campuses, while Bloom continues to share the debt of Mansfield.
          https://www.bloomu.edu/news/bloomsbu...honors-college

Comment

Another Bloom donation of $7 million to be shared across the three campuses, while Bloom continues to share the debt of Mansfield.
            https://www.bloomu.edu/news/bloomsbu...honors-college
            Bloom is now "a legacy institution of CU."

That's a substantial gift.

Comment

• Press Enterprise summarizes "high risk update" report dated 12-18-23 that Commonwealth University will spend $10 million more than in brings in this year. Mansfield appears to be the cause of "crippling" debt with $110 million in debts that CU will have to carry for 33 years. Mansfield construction debts are "an anchor around our necks" per the president. CU will reduce scholarships, cut over 30 teaching jobs, and knock down buildings to cut costs and reduce debts.

The biggest financial challenge with the integration is Mansfield. Debts equal $1,527 per full time student at Bloom, $1,806 at Lock Haven, and $5,307 at Mansfield. Before integration, "Things were strong in Bloomsburg: less than strong, but sustainable in Lock Haven, and weak in Mansfield".

Comment

Press Enterprise summarizes "high risk update" report dated 12-18-23 that Commonwealth University will spend $10 million more than in brings in this year. Mansfield appears to be the cause of "crippling" debt with $110 million in debts that CU will have to carry for 33 years. Mansfield construction debts are "an anchor around our necks" per the president. CU will reduce scholarships, cut over 30 teaching jobs, and knock down buildings to cut costs and reduce debts.

The biggest financial challenge with the integration is Mansfield. Debts equal $1,527 per full time student at Bloom, $1,806 at Lock Haven, and $5,307 at Mansfield. Before integration, "Things were strong in Bloomsburg: less than strong, but sustainable in Lock Haven, and weak in Mansfield".
                They should have just closed Mansfield.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

They should have just closed Mansfield.
                  Students will be footing the debts solely attributed to Mansfield for the next third of a century. The president was asked about the viability of keeping Mansfield open, but did not respond.

Comment

Students will be footing the debts solely attributed to Mansfield for the next third of a century. The president was asked about the viability of keeping Mansfield open, but did not respond.
                    Three universities in North Central PA is overkill.

Mansfield’s location is a hard sell for urban/suburban students. I thought IUP was in the middle of nowhere imagine what people think about Mansfield. I

Comment

• I was wondering if someone can tell me where this "R&P Coal office building" was on campus. I assume this is not the old R&P corporate office building which was located off campus, right?

I visited the main R&P office one time because I had a family connection to the company. That building was magnificent.

https://www.indianagazette.com/news/...a5d2aa7b7.html

Comment

Press Enterprise summarizes "high risk update" report dated 12-18-23 that Commonwealth University will spend $10 million more than in brings in this year. Mansfield appears to be the cause of "crippling" debt with $110 million in debts that CU will have to carry for 33 years. Mansfield construction debts are "an anchor around our necks" per the president. CU will reduce scholarships, cut over 30 teaching jobs, and knock down buildings to cut costs and reduce debts.

To begin, I think Mansfield should have been/should be closed. However, the unfortunate thing is that these are sunk costs. They've already been incurred in the past and now they must be paid for.

The problem I have with these postings from The Press-Enterprise is that they tend toward propaganda. The fact of the matter is that pre-merger LHU was in the best financial position, holding a substantial surplus. Bloom was not "strong", fiscally, no way.

The other thing that seems like sour grapes to me is that if Bloom folks don't like the arrangement now it seems like they should have pushed back harder when the idea surfaced. The Lock Haven community did push back hard, to no avail. If Bloomsburg University didn't want CU to happen I think they might have been able to prevent it. That didn't happen. In fact, as I recall, the Bloom community seemed to perceive the merger as though they were absorbing 2 other schools and, hence, growing.

Former BU President and now CU President Bashar Hanna is more responsible than any other person (outside of Greenstein himself) for the merger. In the end, I think CU is working, whereas the other triad in the West is not working.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

To begin, I think Mansfield should have been/should be closed. However, the unfortunate thing is that these are sunk costs. They've already been incurred in the past and now they must be paid for.

The problem I have with these postings from The Press-Enterprise is that they tend toward propaganda. The fact of the matter is that pre-merger LHU was in the best financial position, holding a substantial surplus. Bloom was not "strong", fiscally, no way.

The other thing that seems like sour grapes to me is that if Bloom folks don't like the arrangement now it seems like they should have pushed back harder when the idea surfaced. The Lock Haven community did push back hard, to no avail. If Bloomsburg University didn't want CU to happen I think they might have been able to prevent it. That didn't happen. In fact, as I recall, the Bloom community seemed to perceive the merger as though they were absorbing 2 other schools and, hence, growing.

Former BU President and now CU President Bashar Hanna is more responsible than any other person (outside of Greenstein himself) for the merger. In the end, I think CU is working, whereas the other triad in the West is not working.
                          The 8 page debt analysis report that the Press quoted is a CU internal document to provide a quarterly financial update to the Chancellor Greenstein, not sour grapes. It was written by the CU CFO. Other comments are from an interview with the CU president, including "We have known about this since the integration and knew the university would be in high risk because of what we brought together." In fact it likely was the reason for the integration.

Lock Haven has $49 million in debt spread across 2600 students. They demolished 2 dorms and have plans to level 2 more in 2025. They offloaded a science center to Clinton County Conservation District, and there are plans for the Clearfield Campus as a possible workforce development training site. They are trying to save money and align themselves with projected enrollment.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Three universities in North Central PA is overkill.
                            No, it's not. In terms of geography, it covers an entire quadrant of the state. In terms of accessibility, it's not overkill. Also, that entire quadrant of the state has only 1 community college, Luzerne County CC, outside of Wilkes-Barre, so that is not accessible for people living outside of a small radius around Wilkes-Barre.

Comment

The 8 page debt analysis report that the Press quoted is a CU internal document to provide a quarterly financial update to the Chancellor Greenstein, not sour grapes. It was written by the CU CFO. Other comments are from an interview with the CU president, including "We have known about this since the integration and knew the university would be in high risk because of what we brought together." In fact it likely was the reason for the integration.

Lock Haven has $49 million in debt spread across 2600 students. They demolished 2 dorms and have plans to level 2 more in 2025. They offloaded a science center to Clinton County Conservation District, and there are plans for the Clearfield Campus as a possible workforce development training site. They are trying to save money and align themselves with projected enrollment.
                              If I have the time and can find this document I will read it. For now, I stand by my previous post. I believe if I have the time to do it, which I probably don't, I could pick apart the viewpoints of The Press-Enterprise. I think it a very biased accounting. "We knew this going in" also reinforces the idea that there should have been more calls to stop it, and there weren't. "Sour grapes" is not a phrase I use too often but it seems appropriate to use.

Whether it's capital-expenditure related or related to enrollment, the environment has been known all along. It's too late to have this kind of a conversation. It's all one school now. Finger pointing isn't needed.

Does Bloom want out now? It's too late. CU is written in law.
                              Last edited by iupgroundhog; 03-10-2024, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                                No, it's not. In terms of geography, it covers an entire quadrant of the state. In terms of accessibility, it's not overkill. Also, that entire quadrant of the state has only 1 community college, Luzerne County CC, outside of Wilkes-Barre, so that is not accessible for people living outside of a small radius around Wilkes-Barre.
                                LCCC has several branch campuses, including 2 in Northumberland County: Shamokin and Watsontown. They have campuses in Lackawanna and Columbia Counties, and a few more.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X