Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

I'm an older millennial. I just can't stand when the boomer generation starts going off on the current generation that they raised. They created the problem, whether they want to believe or not.
    The current generation is younger than my grandchildren. Older boomers did not raise them. If we're the problem, consider we were raised the "Greatest Generation." Every generation has its heroes and bums. After playing a huge part in winning World War II, the Greatest Generation was in charge when we lost much of our industrial capacity to foreign competitors. Generalizing about any generation is stupid, and I don't engage in it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The current generation is younger than my grandchildren. Older boomers did not raise them. If we're the problem, consider we were raised the "Greatest Generation." Every generation has its heroes and bums. After playing a huge part in winning World War II, the Greatest Generation was in charge when we lost much of our industrial capacity to foreign competitors. Generalizing about any generation is stupid, and I don't engage in it.
      Clearly to us, after having lived and observed and experienced for more than 2 times the existence of these young folks have, that is correct.

Comment

I'm an older millennial. I just can't stand when the boomer generation starts going off on the current generation that they raised. They created the problem, whether they want to believe or not.
        That's a ridiculous point of view. First of all, it IS NOT the boomer generation going off on any generation, IT IS YOU and your generation (see current conversation for proof of that). Not to mention, the hyperbole you are spewing is discrimination. Ageism is rampant in American society and that is manifest in your "worldview."

Second, your generation is a relative thing. As a boomer, I was your age one time and I saw the world through the eyes of someone your age. Conversely, you will be my age someday (hopefully). It makes it difficult when you make aspersions about different age groups (or generations) because each of us is all age groups. We experience being each age group in our lifetimes.

However, let's revisit who the boomers were. First, let me say that what you say about "boomers" is scapegoating about rotten things that your generation is facing. This has more to do with a changing world than any generation. What you don't understand is that the "boomer" generation, given their unique place in history as the largest American generation, impacted your world in so many ways that are positive and now taken for granted. The boomers grew up in the post-World War II America, characterized by new freedoms and new self-awareness, and also characterized by an older generation shipping our kids off to die in Vietnam. And for what? The boomer generation, partly based on all of these conditions, and their generational size, exerted itself to change the world in a way that seems to have been lost by subsequent generations, including "older millennials" or what ever ridiculous term you use to describe itself. Now, you just complain about the world that previous generations have left for you.

Comment

• Was Creed the Scranton Strangler?

One of the great mysteries of Hollywood lore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

LOL touche. My point is that I grew up with older friends & siblings who were Gen X so most of my attitudes and experiences are more similar to Gen X than someone born 5 years after me.
            Yea...I'm actually a Boomer but so close to the "line" that most of my friends are Gen X. We kid each other all the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That's a ridiculous point of view. First of all, it IS NOT the boomer generation going off on any generation, IT IS YOU and your generation (see current conversation for proof of that). Not to mention, the hyperbole you are spewing is discrimination. Ageism is rampant in American society and that is manifest in your "worldview."

Second, your generation is a relative thing. As a boomer, I was your age one time and I saw the world through the eyes of someone your age. Conversely, you will be my age someday (hopefully). It makes it difficult when you make aspersions about different age groups (or generations) because each of us is all age groups. We experience being each age group in our lifetimes.

However, let's revisit who the boomers were. First, let me say that what you say about "boomers" is scapegoating about rotten things that your generation is facing. This has more to do with a changing world than any generation. What you don't understand is that the "boomer" generation, given their unique place in history as the largest American generation, impacted your world in so many ways that are positive and now taken for granted. The boomers grew up in the post-World War II America, characterized by new freedoms and new self-awareness, and also characterized by an older generation shipping our kids off to die in Vietnam. And for what? The boomer generation, partly based on all of these conditions, and their generational size, exerted itself to change the world in a way that seems to have been lost by subsequent generations, including "older millennials" or what ever ridiculous term you use to describe itself. Now, you just complain about the world that previous generations have left for you.
              Take a deep breath sir! As much as you are tired of hearing about the complaints of the 18-40 demographic now a days, I can assure you the feelings are mutual the other way around. We could go on and on about this topic, but I will agree with you on the bold above and just leave it there.

Comment

Take a deep breath sir! As much as you are tired of hearing about the complaints of the 18-40 demographic now a days, I can assure you the feelings are mutual the other way around. We could go on and on about this topic, but I will agree with you on the bold above and just leave it there.
                I am happy to hear that you don't want to discuss it anymore. Whatever IT is.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Correct. Xennial to some. I identify Gen X regardless of my year of birth.
                  I’m early X. It hadn’t processed in my mind that I was in first grade 51 years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If we've learned nothing, it's that you can "self identify" as whatever you want and then demand that everyone treat you as that! I self identify as a 25 year old woman with three children born out of wedlock who just lost her job...I plan on applying for AFDC, WIC and subsidized housing today and I'm enrolling in college and demanding a scollarship on the womans Lacrosse team.
                    Or you can identify as Orange, instigate an insurrection, spread false narratives and never face a day in jail and still try to get the job back that you stole in 2016 with Russian help

Comment

The Greatest Generation let the cities fall into ruins because they thought suburbia was the end all.

I do concur every generation has its issues but Gen X is still the best. We put up with everyone schitt and we get totally ignored but we are keeping everything from falling apart.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Ok the boomers also ****ed up a lot of stuff too. They sold out as they got older that is for sure. They went from "changing the world" to getting theirs as much as they could.

I am X but I have three boomer brothers and they are all about them and guess who is the one making sure our 97 year old dad is being taken care of and who goes to visit him. The Gen X'er.

I am not saying the boomers are the cause of all of the world's problems but they were never the saviors they makes themselves out to be....

They are just the most over indulged generation in human history. For decades the world has revolved around them to the detriment of mostly Gen X.

We Gen X'ers never stood a chance.

We were the first generation who couldn't just go to high school, graduated and maybe go out into the world finding a good starter job. Nope...those entry level factory jobs had moved away by the 80's. You had to go to college. Most of the good blue collar jobs left were all taken by boomers who were not giving them up for another 20-30 years.

We were ignored as kids...the first "latch key" kids. Now we are the adults that are happy to be just left alone because most of us spent our childhoods home alone because both parents were working in the 70's and 80's instead of mom being home in the 50's and 60's.

When we hit young adulthood...the boomers were still the target audience for EVERYTHING. We got called slackers because we were turning in jaded cynical *******s.

Then the boomers had kids...created the Millenials and now were are now ignored in favor of two generations that want the spotlight on them 24/7/365.

Boomers are Marcia Brady.

Millenials are Cindy Brady

Gen X is Jan Brady...stuck in the middle and ignored because Marcia and Cindy get all the attention.

It's now very possible there will never be Gen X President. Barry Obama was a late Boomer...and now we have two over the hill Boomers who still want to keep running. If there is still a Democracy in 2028....a Millennial might be the next President/ Gen X will get totally shut out.

You know the one thing that Boomers do that annoys the living **** out of me. When they talk about "the good old days"...of the 50's and early 60's like there were never any problems. They say how everyone dressed well, had respect for one another and cared about each other. What ****ing world were they living in or is this just the early stages of dementia setting in?

Yeah is was so great that gays were basically considered mentally damaged and had to live in the closet...Jim Crow was nothing but fun and games for People of Color and women were nothing more than property for men...they couldn't even get their own credit cards. I guess the riots, assassinations and the constant threat of WW3 with the Soviet Union didn't happen.

I don't view the 80's as "the good old days". There are things I do miss about being young in those days but I can still remember a lot of not so good things that happened.

I think what people see as the "good old days" are the feeling of security many have when they are young. It sucks to be an adult and it really sucks to get old.

Last edited by IUPNation; 03-04-2024, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• No boomer I know, especially the three who were Vietnam veterans, thinks of the '50s and '60s as the good ol' days. That is largely social media b.s.

By the way, you don't have two over-the-hill boomers running for president. Biden at 81 is part of the so-called Silent Generation.

Anybody born in the '60s is not of my generation as far as I'm concerned, but that's not the way they classify it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Was Creed the Scranton Strangler?

One of the great mysteries of Hollywood lore.
                            There is more evidence that Toby is the strangler. Later skater.

Comment

No boomer I know, especially the three who were Vietnam veterans, thinks of the '50s and '60s as the good ol' days. That is largely social media b.s.

By the way, you don't have two over-the-hill boomers running for president. Biden at 81 is part of the so-called Silent Generation.

Anybody born in the '60s is not of my generation as far as I'm concerned, but that's not the way they classify it.
                              You do see that sentiment online everywhere. They post how they always dressed up to go shopping. I remember seeing women in curlers at the supermarket in the early 70’s. It’s the equivalent of going shopping in pajamas today.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

You do see that sentiment online everywhere. They post how they always dressed up to go shopping. I remember seeing women in curlers at the supermarket in the early 70’s. It’s the equivalent of going shopping in pajamas today.
                                Even in the 80s church was a formal affair (at least in the Catholic world). Sunday now looks like a combination of, hell, I don't even know. Growing up in that era it still makes me cringe to see Joey Yinzer wearing a Bubby Brister jersey to church. The modern theory is "we're just happy you're here."

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X