X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

The program needed a change at the end of the Frank era. His last team was bad and his recruiting seemed to really fall off.

President Tony Atwater made two big hires. He totally flopped on THE Lou Tepper, but he hit a grand slam with Joe Lombardi. I don't think there's any question Joe has the premier program on campus.

I think you have to really go back in time and consider the culture of the administration at the time TLT was hired. Many inside Sutton (academic types and admin not pro-football) were sick and tired of the constant blackeye coming out of the football program. Frank's teams had a ton of excitement on the field in the 90s and early 00s -- and, well, they also had a hell of a lot excitement off the field. It is my belief Atwater got heavy influence to hire a 'Mr. Perfect' type coach who could really clean up the culture of the program. TLT did accomplish that much.

However, the product wasn't very good. The heavy brass here doesn't like losing and eventually pulled enough weight to pull the plug on TLT.

With probably one exception, Lombardi has run a very clean program and has had incredible success.
    Tepper was a home run hire at the time. We rarely see proactive head coach moves and almost never see it within the conference. The only other time I can think of is Danny Hale going from West Chester to Bloomsburg.

Lombardi probably says a prayer weekly that thanks God for sending him Dom Keyes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

And how that worked out for IUP.

You're eventually going to run out of Cignettis to reinvigorate your program. Maybe Natalie will be up for the job in 2030?

The program needed a change at the end of the Frank era. His last team was bad and his recruiting seemed to really fall off.

President Tony Atwater made two big hires. He totally flopped on THE Lou Tepper, but he hit a grand slam with Joe Lombardi. I don't think there's any question Joe has the premier program on campus.

I think you have to really go back in time and consider the culture of the administration at the time TLT was hired. Many inside Sutton (academic types and admin not pro-football) were sick and tired of the constant blackeye coming out of the football program. Frank's teams had a ton of excitement on the field in the 90s and early 00s -- and, well, they also had a hell of a lot excitement off the field. It is my belief Atwater got heavy influence to hire a 'Mr. Perfect' type coach who could really clean up the culture of the program. TLT did accomplish that much.

However, the product wasn't very good. The heavy brass here doesn't like losing and eventually pulled enough weight to pull the plug on TLT.

With probably one exception, Lombardi has run a very clean program and has had incredible success.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

You're eventually going to run out of Cignettis to reinvigorate your program. Maybe Natalie will be up for the job in 2030?
    You are right, he somehow brought that wretched disease called Pee Sack Mediocrity with him from Erie County.
    Last edited by IUPNation; 08-18-2022, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Tort is young enough he should be here another 10 years. He has to keep winning, obviously. His career record is strong (and if they could've punt protected he'd have two more wins).

The program currently has a good support structure, donor-wise (although it could be better).

The home side just keeps getting older by the year. Hopefully the next wave of supporters starts to emerge.
    I feel like this is the case for any of the PASSHE schools. At Edinboro, most of the "locals" in attendance who aren't player parents are retired employees. Parents and friends of players are probably the biggest block of folks in the stands. I'm interested to see what happens to the President's Box, one of the few in the conference. The last few presidents have left it empty and rarely attend games.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

The Cignetti legacy is great but the fact is they have already run out of Cignetti's. The program is not running on Cignetti fumes.
    Tort is young enough he should be here another 10 years. He has to keep winning, obviously. His career record is strong (and if they could've punt protected he'd have two more wins).

The program currently has a good support structure, donor-wise (although it could be better).

The home side just keeps getting older by the year. Hopefully the next wave of supporters starts to emerge.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

The Cignetti legacy is great but the fact is they have already run out of Cignetti's. The program is not running on Cignetti fumes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Never know for sure but I don't see Tort Ball leaving Indiana anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Pretty interesting article below. This is pretty big. I could see this evolving into a similar arrangement with regional high schools like community colleges have had with high schools that are "affiliate" schools and feeders for their programs. This sort of thing could be the realization of the regional integration and a growth engine for the regional economy. I think the NE triad has it. I do not see it in the western triad design, partly because of their geographic senselessness and the focus on online delivery. I think that, ultimately, SRU not joining and leading the western triad will be seen as a mistake.

http://therecord-online.com/site/archives/85485
    Last edited by iupgroundhog; 08-18-2022, 08:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Tort's special teams coordinator became a head coach within the division but he forgot to hire a replacement or change the playbook. If Nulph wins at Miller in 2023, IUP will have to refer to him as the Undertaker.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

If Nulph has a big year in 2022 ... he probably won't be at Edinboro in 2023.
    Maybe? Unfortunately he's had a lot of roster turnover but if he can repeat 2021 you're right - but I'm not sure about opportunity for him. He's not leaving Western PA and I can't think of any potential openings - the next ones up would be Lutz and Tort. I don't see any D3 opportunities paying him more than what he's making at Edinboro.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Tort's special teams coordinator became a head coach within the division but he forgot to hire a replacement or change the playbook. If Nulph wins at Miller in 2023, IUP will have to refer to him as the Undertaker.
    If Nulph has a big year in 2022 ... he probably won't be at Edinboro in 2023.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Still can't totally grasp last year. Beat Kutztown and blowout SRU up there in front of 9,500 ... yet finished 7-3 -- undefeated on the road and 3 losses in the funeral home.

That was one of the oddest IUP teams in a long time.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Still can't totally grasp last year. Beat Kutztown and blowout SRU up there in front of 9,500 ... yet finished 7-3 -- undefeated on the road and 3 losses in the funeral home.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X