Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree - my school district has grown and continues to share its research into growth projections with taxpayers. All these presidents had to do is maintain a relationship with local school districts and they'd hear what is going on. I do think a few thought they were able to outsmart the others. But in hindsight its industry-wide.

Part of this is that nearly all PASSHE presidents are first timers and use system universities as an internship. The 40th-percentile salary gets you that. Presidents come in, make strategic decisions to build a resume, then jump ship for a pay raise. You can't earn a promotion by staying the course for four years. For example, Julie Wollman averaged $250k when she was president at Edinboro 2012-2016. She then jumped to Widener where she makes $550k plus her husband gets an annual $30k fee for "consulting duties."

Good for her. That's a heck of a jump.

We're small schools that unfortunately not enough people care about in the big picture. As a sports parallel, the goal of most of our coaches is to get a 'resume line' and get the heck out of here as fast as possible -- especially assistants. If the president pay range remains the same then it will just be a pretty constant revolving door. That being said I think fresh blood is often good after so many years. If you get 4-5 years from one of these hires that's probably pretty good.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't think you understand what I was saying. To break it down, I was criticizing the "process maturity" model that you associate with greater consolidation, i see your justification as increased bureaucracy where individuals lose control. You also characterize the individual schools' administration as essentially incompetent and I don't think that's the case, and, if it were, it wouldn't matter too much.

You want "process maturity?" Wait until these school groupings are a reality and see how the process of serving individuals goes.
      Generally upper management isn't who installs processes. It's more mid-level managers who need to assess their areas and do that.

As far as it being good that individuals make decisions on everything...WHY is that good? Like when I call somewhere to enroll, why does the person I talk to have to come up with the process for me to enroll on the fly? That's totally a case for defining a process that is used by everyone.

ie Fill out an application, then this step, then that step, then you're a student.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Generally upper management isn't who installs processes. It's more mid-level managers who need to assess their areas and do that.

As far as it being good that individuals make decisions on everything...WHY is that good? Like when I call somewhere to enroll, why does the person I talk to have to come up with the process for me to enroll on the fly? That's totally a case for defining a process that is used by everyone.

ie Fill out an application, then this step, then that step, then you're a student.
        As usual, I have no idea what you're saying. I do have a question for you, though. Do you work for Greenstein? Are you on here to try to neutralize the conversation?

Comment

• Mansfield president transfers to Ship.

https://www.weny.com/story/43680251/...nces-departure

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post
            Mansfield president transfers to Ship.

https://www.weny.com/story/43680251/...nces-departure
            That triad will then have 1 President running it all.

Comment

• Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

That triad will then have 1 President running it all.
              One school, one president.

Comment

In my last job, I noticed that nearly all employees had their own printers in their individual offices, even though we had a very expensive high volume color laser machine in the suite. I convinced my VP do away with them and paper usage plummeted.

The only thing Zoom can't replicate is open office hours for students. Today's students don't call or email so appointment-making isn't in their nature.

Comment

I agree - my school district has grown and continues to share its research into growth projections with taxpayers. All these presidents had to do is maintain a relationship with local school districts and they'd hear what is going on. I do think a few thought they were able to outsmart the others. But in hindsight its industry-wide.

Part of this is that nearly all PASSHE presidents are first timers and use system universities as an internship. The 40th-percentile salary gets you that. Presidents come in, make strategic decisions to build a resume, then jump ship for a pay raise. You can't earn a promotion by staying the course for four years. For example, Julie Wollman averaged $250k when she was president at Edinboro 2012-2016. She then jumped to Widener where she makes $550k plus her husband gets an annual $30k fee for "consulting duties."

Comment

• She's originally from Bryn Mawr so I imagine she's familiar with the region. She's a nice woman but wasn't a good fit for the rural locals. They called her "the nice liberal".

Comment

She's originally from Bryn Mawr so I imagine she's familiar with the region. She's a nice woman but wasn't a good fit for the rural locals. They called her "the nice liberal".
                      For those who want to know.

Personal life[edit]
                      Wollman is married to Dan L. King,[16] executive director of the American Association of University Administrators.[17] They live in Wallingford, Pennsylvania.[18]

Comment

For those who want to know.

Personal life[edit]
                        Wollman is married to Dan L. King,[16] executive director of the American Association of University Administrators.[17] They live in Wallingford, Pennsylvania.[18]
                        Is that where Widener is? Unsure if they have a president's house or give a housing allowance.

Comment

• You can make that example out of lots of schools. Duquesne comes to mind. It's safe on campus. Step off at night and good luck. Many urban campuses deal with it.

Comment

As usual, I have no idea what you're saying. I do have a question for you, though. Do you work for Greenstein? Are you on here to try to neutralize the conversation?
                            He could. LOL. We know for a fact our athletic department friends consider this board daily reading. I tend to doubt the academic types do, though.

Comment

She's originally from Bryn Mawr so I imagine she's familiar with the region. She's a nice woman but wasn't a good fit for the rural locals. They called her "the nice liberal".

Comment

Is that where Widener is? Unsure if they have a president's house or give a housing allowance.
                                No. Widener is a little different. The "main campus" is in Chester. The largest campus is in Delaware. The law school is in Delaware and, I believe, the graduate school is in Delaware. Widener has other campuses in PA but I can't find where they are. As I recall, they draw a large number of students to their remote campus in Harrisburg.

As Nation alluded to, stepping off of Widener's Chester campus can be a perilous experience. With all due respect to anyone who is from Chester, Chester is like skid row. It's one of the most crime-ridden, impoverished places in the country. However, like all places there are good people from Chester and some are working to improve the situation. Also, with all due respect to IUPbigIndian ( I don't want to offend anybody today), the area around Duquesne in Pgh. is no comparison to Chester. Duquesne's environs are upscale compared to Chester.

Widener grew out of Pennsylvania Military College (PMC) which was a small college football power back in the 60's. It became Widener in 1972 and continued to be a national small college power. The football prowess has waned over the decades.

Their offerings are so diverse (undergrad, grad, law, urban, suburban, online) it does seem like a good landing spot for Edinboro's former president. It's probably a housing allowance. Wallingford is a few miles from the main campus.
                                Last edited by iupgroundhog; 04-16-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X