Kutztown: 7,675, down 2.75%

Lock Haven: 2,920, down 7.68%

Mansfield: 1,803, up 0.61%

Millersville: 7,213, down 3.76%

Shippensburg: 5,668, down 7.54%

Slippery Rock: 8,424, down 5.09%

West Chester: 17,640, down 0.45%

Source: https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/1...o-decades.html
    Would be interesting to see how IUP was affected in the area of foreign students, both undergrad and grad. For example, the MBA program relies so heavily on foreign students. If they were affected significantly, that number can come back quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

Chaney and Mansfield have figured out enrollment! Time for all the schools to copy them! I kid. I kid.

This is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

The funny thing is the pandemic was blamed for losses 2 years ago. Kids don't want online! Then, they rush back to campus...and bigger losses!

And these numbers are headcount. It doesn't take into account for students who are taking less credits...which can be the case. So like a 5% loss in headcount can be a 7% loss in FTE.
    I believe those numbers are FTE students.

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Bloomsburg: 7,745, down 8.19%

California: 6,512, down 5.42%

Cheyney: 642, up 2.39%

Clarion: 3,922, down 12.16%

East Stroudsburg: 5,136, down 12.08%

Edinboro: 4,043, down 6.39%

Indiana: 9,308, down 7.54%

Chaney and Mansfield have figured out enrollment! Time for all the schools to copy them! I kid. I kid.

This is terrible. Absolutely terrible.

The funny thing is the pandemic was blamed for losses 2 years ago. Kids don't want online! Then, they rush back to campus...and bigger losses!

And these numbers are headcount. It doesn't take into account for students who are taking less credits...which can be the case. So like a 5% loss in headcount can be a 7% loss in FTE.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Thanks. Bloom gave the same number, but that it was down 3.9% since last year.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Well this is certainly interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	largest-drop-in-enrollment-in-three-decades.png
Views:	237
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	611315
    When will we see the entire Fall 2021 enrollment figures? I have only been able to find a few.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Well this is certainly interesting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	largest-drop-in-enrollment-in-three-decades.png
Views:	237
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	611315

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied
    The West Triad gets it's name this week. It officially is announced on the 14th.
    Last edited by complaint_hopeful; 10-11-2021, 01:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied
    Looked for enrollment numbers for Fall 2021. Found some which I think are official.

................total..... undergraduate......graduate
    SRU.......8,424......6,921................ 1,503.......... down 5.1%
    Kutztown 7,675.... 6,697.................. 978........... down
    clarion.....3069...... 2687.................. 382........... down 14.1%
    Bloom..... 7,749.... 7,072................. 677............down 3.9%

Bloom blames drop due to Covid, demographic challenges, and perceptions about merger.

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

EXACTLY! I would also say that it is school administration that shares in the blame. Seems like particular posters want to assign all the blame for the PASSHE problems on one person from one party when the truth is that both parties and multiple governors share in the blame.

But the ultimate point is the budgets are were they are and they ain't going up dramatically (MAYBE 2-3% in a given year but I note for the last two years there has been zero increase)...Likewise, enrollment is not going to go up dramatically. (if at all). The REAL question is how does PASSHE right size itself to work within its current budget and current/projected number of students. Just my opinion, but I don't see the merger plan as sufficient to provide long or even mid term stability to the PASSHE system.
    The main problems with the mergers is they cost A LOT of money to implement. And yeah the state gave PASSHE money to do that, but it's 1-time and maybe it would have been better used in other ways...

And yeah...the cost to attend the schools is too high. They're priced out of the market. That needs fixed.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post

And I agree with you. The cuts came have been coming since the early 80's. It's funny though that politicians cut the money they give PASSHE...and complain that tuition costs are going up.

It's really both sides as I've been maintaining. Some more dramatic than others. And some are more guilty of not fixing it than creating it.
    EXACTLY! I would also say that it is school administration that shares in the blame. Seems like particular posters want to assign all the blame for the PASSHE problems on one person from one party when the truth is that both parties and multiple governors share in the blame.

But the ultimate point is the budgets are were they are and they ain't going up dramatically (MAYBE 2-3% in a given year but I note for the last two years there has been zero increase)...Likewise, enrollment is not going to go up dramatically. (if at all). The REAL question is how does PASSHE right size itself to work within its current budget and current/projected number of students. Just my opinion, but I don't see the merger plan as sufficient to provide long or even mid term stability to the PASSHE system.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

It is. Just find it a little disingenuous when posters (and others) blame the whole PASSHE problem on Corbitt's 7% budget cut but completely ignore a larger cut by Rendel that occurred two years prior. If you believe that the ONLY reason the PASSHE is failing is because of lack of state $'s, then it seems the blame should be shared EVENLY by Corbitt AND Rendel.
    And here you are, worrying that the "blame game" isn't balanced. At this point I DON'T CARE who is to blame. The system needs help. We need our expensive state legislators to start earning their bucks and fix it. Actually passing a program that would help Pennsylvania's higher education system would be a new experience for many of them.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Below is an article about the very 2009-10 budget that BoatCaptain has going down by 10%. So, something is off with BoatCaptain's numbers. Also, complaint hopeful you can google all you want but many of us have lived through this time period. The bottom line is that Republicans trying to say they support public education is a pathetic thing. It would be like Democrats saying they have a lot of evangelical Christians.

https://www.poconorecord.com/article...NEWS/902080331
    I'm using official state final budget numbers as provided on the state budget website.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X