X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Well, he had to work out a state budget for a state that is in deep trouble. I think if the "I-80" Corridor folks (the same people whose state schools are consolidating) had permitted I-80 tolling or if PA had sold the Turnpike the state would be in better shape, overall. The education funding came back the next year until Corbett's cuts came in so I don't understand how the schools would be better off.
    No...The year after Rendel cut the PASSHE budget by 10.8%, he requested the same allocation level ($444,470,000). The year after that (Corbitt's first budget) included his 7% cut.

Had Rendel not slashed the PA provided funds to the PASSHE and just maintained the budget at 2008-09 levels during his last two years, PASSHE would have had approx $110M in it's operating coffers.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Yep. Those federal $'s came with MANY strings, limits and reporting requirements. It was presented by Rendel (and other governors) as unrestricted money provided to the schools which allowed him to cut the state appropriation and spend it elsewhere. Reality as you point out was that the fed $'s were very restricted. Net effect was that the schools saw a very large drop in funds they could expend on day to day operations.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Rendel used the federal $ as a foil to cut state funds provided to the schools. Had he not done that, the PASSHE would be in a much better place financally than they are now.
    Well, he had to work out a state budget for a state that is in deep trouble. I think if the "I-80" Corridor folks (the same people whose state schools are consolidating) had permitted I-80 tolling or if PA had sold the Turnpike the state would be in better shape, overall. The education funding came back the next year until Corbett's cuts came in so I don't understand how the schools would be better off.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Rendel used the federal $ as a foil to cut state funds provided to the schools. Had he not done that, the PASSHE would be in a much better place financally than they are now.
    Well, right now, the state is basically sitting on $5 billion out of $7 billion federal stimulus money. Perhaps PASSHE could use a bit of that. It's easy to play the political blame game, but it is indisputable at the moment that our state is a laggard in funding public higher education. About time they get off their collective butts in Harrisburg and actually accomplish something other than worrying about who won the last election.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

As part of the federal stimulus package resulting from the Great Recession, states received a large one time infusion of federal dollars that was channeled into state education departments. The federal money offset state money that year so there was no reason to spend more via the state budget. That's why the negative number shows up for Rendell that year. Rendell was the most education-friendly governor we have had for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    That's a lot of anti-Rendell, anti-Philly BS. Throughout his entire career, not just as governor, he supported education from pre-kindergarten up to higher ed. I can't really speak to the IUP maintenance department feelings but Fast Eddie was all about public/private cooperation and that's one of the things that made him good. Aside from education, he also made a point of using the federal money by putting at least one economic development project in each of the 67 counties and he visited all 67 counties. He came to IUP. Did Corbett ever do that?

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

As part of the federal stimulus package resulting from the Great Recession, states received a large one time infusion of federal dollars that was channeled into state education departments. The federal money offset state money that year so there was no reason to spend more via the state budget. That's why the negative number shows up for Rendell that year. Rendell was the most education-friendly governor we have had for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Worth posting...again. State provided funds to PASSHE with percentage change over the previous, Governor and control of the House and Senate by year:

2021-22 477,470 -0% Wolf R/R

2020-21 477,470 -0% Wolf R/R

2019-20 477,470 +1.9% Wolf R/R

2018-19 468,108 +3.3% Wolf R/R

2017-18 453,108 +1.9 Wolf R/R

2016-17 444,224 +2.5% Wolf R/R

2015-16 433,389 +5% Wolf R/R

2014-15 412,715 -0% Corbett R/R

2013-14 412,715 -0% Corbett R/R

2012-13 412,715 -0% Corbett R/R

2011-12 412,715 -7.1% Corbett R/R

2010-11 444,470 -0% Rendel D/R

2009-10 444,470 -10.8% Rendel D/R

2008-09 498,509 +3% Rendel D/R

2007-08 483,989 +3.3% Rendel D/R

2006-07 467,622 +2.6 Rendel D/R

2005-06 445,354 Rendel D/R

Source: Pennsylvania State Budget Website

Worth noting...Corbett gets the bulk of blame for cutting PASSHE budget by 7.1% in the 2011-12 while I've never heard a word mentioned about Rendel's 10.8% PASSHE budget cut in 2009-10.

Some salve for the posters that throw darts at Penn State as the reason that the PASSHE is failing...Same year Corbin cut PASSHE funding by 7.1%, he cut Penn State funding by 28+%

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by complaint_hopeful View Post
    Really, a lot of the PASSHE woes can be traced back to Corbett and his cuts..although state support was declining before and didn't really rise much after. Corbett took some $175 million in funding away a year.

That said, yes...the lobbying is a big part. PASSHE, for years did a terrible job of working with the PA Government on funding. And now, as schools fail, the politicians look at them as failing businesses...and the underfunding issue becomes politicized and not fixed.
    Worth posting...again. State provided funds to PASSHE with percentage change over the previous, Governor and control of the House and Senate by year:

2021-22 477,470 -0% Wolf R/R

2020-21 477,470 -0% Wolf R/R

2019-20 477,470 +1.9% Wolf R/R

2018-19 468,108 +3.3% Wolf R/R

2017-18 453,108 +1.9 Wolf R/R

2016-17 444,224 +2.5% Wolf R/R

2015-16 433,389 +5% Wolf R/R

2014-15 412,715 -0% Corbett R/R

2013-14 412,715 -0% Corbett R/R

2012-13 412,715 -0% Corbett R/R

2011-12 412,715 -7.1% Corbett R/R

2010-11 444,470 -0% Rendel D/R

2009-10 444,470 -10.8% Rendel D/R

2008-09 498,509 +3% Rendel D/R

2007-08 483,989 +3.3% Rendel D/R

2006-07 467,622 +2.6 Rendel D/R

2005-06 445,354 Rendel D/R

Source: Pennsylvania State Budget Website

Worth noting...Corbett gets the bulk of blame for cutting PASSHE budget by 7.1% in the 2011-12 while I've never heard a word mentioned about Rendel's 10.8% PASSHE budget cut in 2009-10.

Some salve for the posters that throw darts at Penn State as the reason that the PASSHE is failing...Same year Corbin cut PASSHE funding by 7.1%, he cut Penn State funding by 28+%
    Last edited by boatcapt; 10-07-2021, 09:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I don't know. If you cut any of the state systems in the US funding by some $300 million, I think they won't be doing well.

It's like a bait and switch. The state partially funded these schools at a certain percentage, then 20 years ago started cutting that funding. We're some $300 million behind the average state around us.

Take $300 million off of the Ohio system and see how they're doing.

I do think there are inefficiencies in the schools. But I don't think it adds up to $300 million a year. And as the funding goes down, the cost for students goes up...which prices students out of going to them. It's a vicious cycle.

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They are.
    I don't know. If you cut any of the state systems in the US funding by some $300 million, I think they won't be doing well.

It's like a bait and switch. The state partially funded these schools at a certain percentage, then 20 years ago started cutting that funding. We're some $300 million behind the average state around us.

Take $300 million off of the Ohio system and see how they're doing.

I do think there are inefficiencies in the schools. But I don't think it adds up to $300 million a year. And as the funding goes down, the cost for students goes up...which prices students out of going to them. It's a vicious cycle.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Pitt and Penn State are virtually shielded from public record. They're not independent non-profits so they don't have to file a 990 tax filing. But they're not state entities so they're not subject to the open records law. So the public has to rely on trustees reports, federal reporting, etc.

There are no secrets at PASSHE schools. Any one of us can file a RTK on what any employee says about us. Or to solve any rumor of scandal.
    True. When the salaries of Big Ten football coaches are reported, there are two you generally don't get, Northwestern (private school) and Penn State.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Really, a lot of the PASSHE woes can be traced back to Corbett and his cuts..although state support was declining before and didn't really rise much after. Corbett took some $175 million in funding away a year.

That said, yes...the lobbying is a big part. PASSHE, for years did a terrible job of working with the PA Government on funding. And now, as schools fail, the politicians look at them as failing businesses...and the underfunding issue becomes politicized and not fixed.

They are.

Leave a comment:

• complaint_hopeful
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X