X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Kind of. The classical university is a combination of the Greek schools and protestant seminaries. Neither are relevant in the 21st Century.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I was referring to a more generic, traditional definition of a "university" that encompasses all different points of view and is based on the concept of academic freedom. When you eliminate all of these traditional academic pursuits you can no longer call it a university in the traditional sense. I get the current classifications that you cite.
    Kind of. The classical university is a combination of the Greek schools and protestant seminaries. Neither are relevant in the 21st Century.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

University status is merely about graduate level degrees. Has nothing to do with which programs are offered. I can think of at least a dozen nationally ranked universities that lack programs in those fields.

I do disagree with how PASSHE does this. They cut departments instead of programs. So you lose the general ed classes too on top of the degree programs.
    I was referring to a more generic, traditional definition of a "university" that encompasses all different points of view and is based on the concept of academic freedom. When you eliminate all of these traditional academic pursuits you can no longer call it a university in the traditional sense. I get the current classifications that you cite.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Not really. Do you want someone with a dissertation on Kant teaching business ethics or do you want a business professor teaching it?

This generation sees college as a white collar trade school. To say it's not is kind of silly. Like saying the water pipes for sale in the local head shop are for tobacco use only.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Not really. Do you want someone with a dissertation on Kant teaching business ethics or do you want a business professor teaching it?

This generation sees college as a white collar trade school. To say it's not is kind of silly. Like saying the water pipes for sale in the local head shop are for tobacco use only.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Applied ethics can be taught be department faculty. Gen Z has no use for general education requirements. They want more major classes not unrelated ones that simply round them. This is problematic but what they want.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Applied ethics can be taught be department faculty. Gen Z has no use for general education requirements. They want more major classes not unrelated ones that simply round them. This is problematic but what they want.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Applied programs. Education, nursing, engineering, accounting, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

like apex tech ?
    Applied programs. Education, nursing, engineering, accounting, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

That makes it no longer a university.
    University status is merely about graduate level degrees. Has nothing to do with which programs are offered. I can think of at least a dozen nationally ranked universities that lack programs in those fields.

I do disagree with how PASSHE does this. They cut departments instead of programs. So you lose the general ed classes too on top of the degree programs.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied

Our schools demographic doesn't study liberal arts. They want majors with a direct path to a specific job.
    like apex tech ?

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

Our schools demographic doesn't study liberal arts. They want majors with a direct path to a specific job.
    That makes it no longer a university.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Hearing Bloom will be eliminating majors in Philosophy, Anthropology, and Physics with the merger. There goes my undergraduate degree.

Leave a comment:

• ironmaniup
    replied
    Originally posted by Bart View Post
    Hearing Bloom will be eliminating majors in Philosophy, Anthropology, and Physics with the merger. There goes my undergraduate degree.
    Sorry to hear that, PASSHE admins want to cut any major that does not pay for itself, despite the fact that having these majors improve things, like the Ethics class class Pre-law majors take, and the physics class pre-meds and nurses take. I expect that maybe these degrees might eventually be offered by the merged institution.with advanced classes with low enrollments offered via distance or hybrid classes to all 3 locations. That's not going to increase enrollment, though.

Leave a comment:

• Bart
    replied

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X