X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirty Harry
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

No doubt these measures are just the first step to get the ball rolling. But why single out Lock Haven? Sure, it's a small school but they aren't in worse shape than many of the others, including our own alma mater. Actually, LHU is in much better financial shape than most of the schools. They have a number of good programs beyond the PA program (which was started and run by a childhood friend of mine). Many of their athletics-related programs are really good, also Sports Administration, geology, education, to name a few off the top of my head. It's always been a place that developed teachers and coaches. They are actually prolific at producing coaches.

Perhaps more important, "the college" is an integral part of the community. Having been born and raised there I can say the town/gown relationship in LH is as good as any of the PASSHE schools and it's always been that way.

What they are doing now with LH/Mansfield makes perfect sense. In fact, if you go back to my old thread "The PASSHE - our alma maters" my primary thinking was to make these schools into engines for economic growth in PA. I suggested a partnership with the PA Dept, of Labor and that is very close to what the "integration" plans for. It's a different purpose, more geared towards workforce development. It's a good idea. LHU can serve the economic development needs of that region better than any other educational institution.

Also, it's such a key cog in the local economy. I can't imagine Lock Haven without the college. It's going to be there. And its presence will be greater over time than some of these other schools.

Maybe LHU gets bashed on here so much because it's a football forum and they stink in football. Not sure.

For the record, I'm always going to defend LHU. My grandmother went there, my godmother went there, my godfather donated into 8 figures to it over his lifetime and is one of few people ever awarded an honorary degree, my mother grew up across the street from it on Susquehanna Ave., my brother went there.

I hope it survives and I think it will.
    Great Family Tradition! I know your proud. Yes, football is the problem. And, they had a chance to get it right this time and they didn't.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by BADinPA View Post
    Once in my work life I remarked to a colleague that my resume should include professionalism in reducing costs. I will almost guarantee with certainty that the items mentioned in this thread will be way insufficient to meet the goals of preserving many of our universities. What is being talked about here is "low hanging fruit." It may even be irrelevant. Should these easy things be done? Sure. But real change demands hard, bold decisions and pain. Lock Haven for example should be trimmed to the bone and center on the Physicians Assistant program. Maybe there are related healthcare fields that could be added. Also, let's be clear that when the dust settles, athletics could be a sport or two. Thinking D II football at every school is an unrealistic dream.
    No doubt these measures are just the first step to get the ball rolling. But why single out Lock Haven? Sure, it's a small school but they aren't in worse shape than many of the others, including our own alma mater. Actually, LHU is in much better financial shape than most of the schools. They have a number of good programs beyond the PA program (which was started and run by a childhood friend of mine). Many of their athletics-related programs are really good, also Sports Administration, geology, education, to name a few off the top of my head. It's always been a place that developed teachers and coaches. They are actually prolific at producing coaches.

Perhaps more important, "the college" is an integral part of the community. Having been born and raised there I can say the town/gown relationship in LH is as good as any of the PASSHE schools and it's always been that way.

What they are doing now with LH/Mansfield makes perfect sense. In fact, if you go back to my old thread "The PASSHE - our alma maters" my primary thinking was to make these schools into engines for economic growth in PA. I suggested a partnership with the PA Dept, of Labor and that is very close to what the "integration" plans for. It's a different purpose, more geared towards workforce development. It's a good idea. LHU can serve the economic development needs of that region better than any other educational institution.

Also, it's such a key cog in the local economy. I can't imagine Lock Haven without the college. It's going to be there. And its presence will be greater over time than some of these other schools.

Maybe LHU gets bashed on here so much because it's a football forum and they stink in football. Not sure.

For the record, I'm always going to defend LHU. My grandmother went there, my godmother went there, my godfather donated into 8 figures to it over his lifetime and is one of few people ever awarded an honorary degree, my mother grew up across the street from it on Susquehanna Ave., my brother went there.

I hope it survives and I think it will.

Leave a comment:

• BADinPA
    replied
    Once in my work life I remarked to a colleague that my resume should include professionalism in reducing costs. I will almost guarantee with certainty that the items mentioned in this thread will be way insufficient to meet the goals of preserving many of our universities. What is being talked about here is "low hanging fruit." It may even be irrelevant. Should these easy things be done? Sure. But real change demands hard, bold decisions and pain. Lock Haven for example should be trimmed to the bone and center on the Physicians Assistant program. Maybe there are related healthcare fields that could be added. Also, let's be clear that when the dust settles, athletics could be a sport or two. Thinking D II football at every school is an unrealistic dream.

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'd never knock Juco's and the programs they have, but for a lot of the trades, the clearest path is through an apprenticeship. My brother was a Steamfitter before he passed. He said that all a HS graduate had to do was show-up at the union hall and say you wanted to enter the Steamfitter apprenticeship and you were working the next day. Now granted, it's not easy work particularly the first couple of years, but you were working and making a decent wage (about 50K according to my brother). When you completed the program and became an actual Steamfitter, you'd make well above 100K per year without OT (which my brother said was plentiful).

I think as a society, we still look down our noses at people who work with their hands for a living...sort of like they are beneath us. I remember a politician recently said that he could teach anyone to be a farmer. All you have to do is put a seed in the ground, cover it with dirt, water it and corn pops up!!! I cringed at how condisending, elitist and stupid a person could be on one sentence. And he wanted to be president!
    I don't look down my nose when anyone charges me $75 just to walk into my house. I usually say, "Damn I'm in the wrong profession..."

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
    Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid. Well the poor guy getting out sourced doesn't get a yrs pay to do a job search for similar pay. Hit the Bricks
    It's been in the works for a long time. Openly discussed even, so they've had time to explore the market. Usually in these cases the company who wins the bid offers jobs to those being displaced.

Leave a comment:

• Sec10-A-14
    replied
    Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid. Well the poor guy getting out sourced doesn't get a yrs pay to do a job search for similar pay. Hit the Bricks

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied

Might not be a bad idea except the unions would strike bec students are taking their park lawn mowing jobs. I was suggest maybe a voucher program for seniors to cut their lawns, shovel snow from walks and or small odd jobs
    It was just an example.

Point being, it doesn't have to just be military service - there are many other ways to contribute to the public.

Leave a comment:

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I'd never knock Juco's and the programs they have, but for a lot of the trades, the clearest path is through an apprenticeship. My brother was a Steamfitter before he passed. He said that all a HS graduate had to do was show-up at the union hall and say you wanted to enter the Steamfitter apprenticeship and you were working the next day. Now granted, it's not easy work particularly the first couple of years, but you were working and making a decent wage (about 50K according to my brother). When you completed the program and became an actual Steamfitter, you'd make well above 100K per year without OT (which my brother said was plentiful).

I think as a society, we still look down our noses at people who work with their hands for a living...sort of like they are beneath us. I remember a politician recently said that he could teach anyone to be a farmer. All you have to do is put a seed in the ground, cover it with dirt, water it and corn pops up!!! I cringed at how condisending, elitist and stupid a person could be on one sentence. And he wanted to be president!
    Absolutely - those are also great opportunities to learn a trade.

The tech schools tend to be the dominant force around here, being as we have some of the best ones in the entire country in our tri-state area. So much so that I couldn't tell you where the nearest union hall is located. The downside is that businesses are becoming more specialized, and the schools can't adapt as quickly - so a lot of them just end up training graduates to some extent anyway, but those graduates are still highly sought after.

Those "dirty jobs" can sometimes be pretty fun and enlightening in their own way. I'll never put somebody down for the job that they do - because it needs to be done. I've often considered learning how to weld and jumping career paths - at least for a few years, so I can make some solid money and have some good job security.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It is a nice perk, though, based on the circumstances. When jobs in the business world cut back ... you may get a week. May.
    Sure, but its a benefit negotiated by the union. In business if you're let go with a week's notice that gives management a week to find someone to pick up the slack. When you're solely teaching a 15 week course, that can't really be done.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Not a really accurate characterization.

Edinboro is outsourcing custodial jobs. I've heard rumblings about grounds staff too. Those are the easiest functions to outsource if any. It gets the school out of the very generous benefits package for those folks. I've worked at a university with both functions outsourced and I can tell you that nobody knows the difference.

Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid.
    It is a nice perk, though, based on the circumstances. When jobs in the business world cut back ... you may get a week. May.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Edinboro announces 100 jobs cut. Mostly housekeeping https://www.goerie.com/news/20200724...-than-100-jobs How nice. sit around with nothing to do and get paid for a yr. Its no wonder pa state education costs so much. And they keep crying for more money. Get rid of the fat )
    Not a really accurate characterization.

Edinboro is outsourcing custodial jobs. I've heard rumblings about grounds staff too. Those are the easiest functions to outsource if any. It gets the school out of the very generous benefits package for those folks. I've worked at a university with both functions outsourced and I can tell you that nobody knows the difference.

Edinboro still has to right-size its teaching faculty with the size of the school. The one-year notice means they tell them that their job won't exist 12 months from today. It gives the faculty member time to job search and possibly bid on similar jobs at other PASSHE campuses. Nobody is sitting around "with nothing to do" and getting paid.

Leave a comment:

• Sec10-A-14
    replied
    Edinboro announces 100 jobs cut. Mostly housekeeping https://www.goerie.com/news/20200724...-than-100-jobs

Leave a comment:

• WarriorVoice
    replied

Might not be a bad idea except the unions would strike bec students are taking their park lawn mowing jobs. I was suggest maybe a voucher program for seniors to cut their lawns, shovel snow from walks and or small odd jobs
    I'm also a fan of unions...

Leave a comment:

• Sec10-A-14
    replied
    Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Give a kid a lawnmower and let him cut the grass at the city park for a couple years - just do something to contribute to the community. Rack up those hours and get reduced, or even free tuition.

If we had something like that, a kid could go to a JUCO to get a trade diploma, work a PT job, and graduate with money in his bank account and a $40k-$50k/yr job easily. It would fix so many issues almost immediately. A lot of kids would take advantage too.

Leave a comment:

• Sec10-A-14
    replied
    Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I'm all for national service being compulsory for graduation from high school and college. Community service is extremely important in many different ways...Builds character and a sense of ownership.
    Good man.
    I served and with my interactions of among other nations, many countries have 2yr mandatory service. Its a good way for some to learn discipline, to grow up and for others a chance to see what career path is best for them.
    My son served US Secret Service
    My daughter volunteered US Air Force Nurse

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X