Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

From my personal experience, grad school enrollment costs at Ball State University in Indiana for online programs are comparable, if not slightly lower, for non-Indiana residents than grad school costs at PASSHE schools are for in-state Pennsylvania residents. Regardless of party, that speaks volumes about the obstacles PASSHE is facing, especially with the long-standing "one-size fits all" tuition approaches that other states (ie. Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana) have eschewed.
    Very likely that approach will change and, in some cases, is already changing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Very likely that approach will change and, in some cases, is already changing.
      Last edited by IUPNation; 11-29-2019, 11:19 AM.

Comment

I think you too easily dismiss Republicans. I think it's a case of keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Under Wolf, PA House speaker Mike Turzai and rural county tea partier Brad Roae have both joined the PASSHE Board of Governors. And in spite of their previous criticisms, they voted in favor of asking the state for the extra $100MM to jump start system innovation. Reminds me of every school board election when R's run on the "eliminate waste and cut taxes!" platform only to get elected and realize there's not much waste to cut.

Comment

When I lived in Chester County it was very conservative, which was probably a given with all the rich Republican living there. Is it difficult for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think you too easily dismiss Republicans. I think it's a case of keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Under Wolf, PA House speaker Mike Turzai and rural county tea partier Brad Roae have both joined the PASSHE Board of Governors. And in spite of their previous criticisms, they voted in favor of asking the state for the extra $100MM to jump start system innovation. Reminds me of every school board election when R's run on the "eliminate waste and cut taxes!" platform only to get elected and realize there's not much waste to cut.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post

When I lived in Chester County it was very conservative, which was probably a given with all the rich Republican living there. Is it difficult for you?
              Chester County Republicans are not like Any Republicans in Central and Western PA. Democrats just took control of the Chester County gubmint too. The GOP needs to ditch the social conservatives and the fake bible thumpers.

Comment

When I refer to PA Republicans and public education you can go back over decades of state budgets and voting records to see what I'm talking about. PA Republicans basically want to reduce government and taxes. One of the most effective ways of doing that is limiting spending on public education at all levels.

Also, when I refer to a part of the Republican Party in PA that wants to destroy public education I'm talking about religious conservatives in Lancaster, York, Lebanon, and parts of Dauphin, Berks, and northern Chester County. Essentially, they are motivated because they want to shift funds to religious education. Whenever you see something from The Commonwealth Foundation, this is them. The Commonwealth Foundation has it's roots with Fundamentalist Christians who literally would like to eliminate public education. They don't think government should be in education. That organization has received funding and become broader in their mission; however, a lot of that is smoke and mirrors. Their main goal is to promote religious education at the expense of public education. They are influential in PA. Here's their website.

https://www.commonwealthfoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

When I refer to PA Republicans and public education you can go back over decades of state budgets and voting records to see what I'm talking about. PA Republicans basically want to reduce government and taxes. One of the most effective ways of doing that is limiting spending on public education at all levels.

Also, when I refer to a part of the Republican Party in PA that wants to destroy public education I'm talking about religious conservatives in Lancaster, York, Lebanon, and parts of Dauphin, Berks, and northern Chester County. Essentially, they are motivated because they want to shift funds to religious education. Whenever you see something from The Commonwealth Foundation, this is them. The Commonwealth Foundation has it's roots with Fundamentalist Christians who literally would like to eliminate public education. They don't think government should be in education. That organization has received funding and become broader in their mission; however, a lot of that is smoke and mirrors. Their main goal is to promote religious education at the expense of public education. They are influential in PA. Here's their website.

https://www.commonwealthfoundation.org/
                  So basically the American Taliban.

Comment

As I pointed out in an earlier post, they are already making some adjustments at Ship. It's happening.

Comment

2010 was the high water mark for almost all schools. Two more cliffs coming in 2025 and 2030. Get ready to rock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSU loss-gain.PNG
Views:	235
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	462158

Comment

PASSHE for comparison. When everyone is asking "why the F are we paying to keep a 618 student college open?" they need to see that Penn State chart.

Name:	PASSHE loss-gain.PNG
Views:	238
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	462160

Comment

Name:	image_1702.png
Views:	371
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	462164

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Name:	image_1702.png
Views:	371
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	462164
                            These are interesting images. Most of the PSU branches are so small they shouldn't be a concern for PASSHE. The old, traditional PSU branches (Behrend, Altoona, Berks) have PASSHE-like experiences. PSU-Harrisburg has grown but there is no PASSHE presence in Hbg. (Ship and Mvile too far away). So, when I look at this I don't see a huge threat for PASSHE coming from PSU branches. The big ones have always been there (I picked between IUP and PSU-Altoona myself and that was XX years ago).

As for PASSHE schools when so many have had enrollment drops of 25-50% it has to change how everything is run.

The map is just obscene. PA has to to understand how this affects the future of the state.

Link below shows party control in Hbg.

https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government

Comment

Speaking of PSU branches. This doesn't include Pitt branches (probably due to Philly bias)

Name:	PA campuses.PNG
Views:	243
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	462192

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

These are interesting images. Most of the PSU branches are so small they shouldn't be a concern for PASSHE. The old, traditional PSU branches (Behrend, Altoona, Berks) have PASSHE-like experiences. PSU-Harrisburg has grown but there is no PASSHE presence in Hbg. (Ship and Mvile too far away). So, when I look at this I don't see a huge threat for PASSHE coming from PSU branches. The big ones have always been there (I picked between IUP and PSU-Altoona myself and that was XX years ago).

As for PASSHE schools when so many have had enrollment drops of 25-50% it has to change how everything is run.

The map is just obscene. PA has to to understand how this affects the future of the state.

Link below shows party control in Hbg.

https://ballotpedia.org/Party_contro...ate_government
                                The huge reduction in funding is a big problem with the viability of the PASSHE - consider how things like deferred maintenance, reduction in custodial and secretarial staffs, effect enrollment. The small enrolled PSU (and Pitt) campuses are also a problem for PASSHE though. Consider that each 100 students is equal to about 1 million in revenue. a difference of 300-400 students from Pitt Greensburgh, PSU New Ken, and PSU Dubois is significant. THese also selectively effect specific majors more, so it is difficult to tell just what impact, 100 less Physics / pre-engineering majors is a huge impact compared to 100 pysch majors.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X