Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Division 2 game and or play you saw live

With covid wiping out a lot of Division 2 sports seasons and probably more the way things are going and it may be a while before many of us attend another D2 sporting live, I thought digging up some old memories would be a worth while distraction. I was curious what everyone's greatest D2 game or play that they ever saw live in person was.

For me I would IUP's playoff win over Fairmont State in 2016 simply because it was one of those rare games were absolutely everything seemed to go right from IUP in that 62-13 drubbing. I was probably the only IUP fan happy they were on the road as Fairmont State was only a 20 minutes away from me. The game day atmosphere was lacking since the weather was lousy, FSU was on break and everyone else in West Virginia was tailgating before the WVU vs Oklahoma game but I still had an amazing time none the less.

The greatest play without question was Akwasi Owusu-Ansah punt return against Edinboro in 2009. Starting with the Willy Mays catch, breaking two tackles just to get himself going in the right direction, breaking more tackles, cutting across the field while IUP's blockers stayed in the play. Just too bad it wasn't enough to get us the win that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhqOcr4rTsM

Anyone else have any fun memories from attending football, basketball or other D2 events live?

Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
    With covid wiping out a lot of Division 2 sports seasons and probably more the way things are going and it may be a while before many of us attend another D2 sporting live, I thought digging up some old memories would be a worth while distraction. I was curious what everyone's greatest D2 game or play that they ever saw live in person was.

For me I would IUP's playoff win over Fairmont State in 2016 simply because it was one of those rare games were absolutely everything seemed to go right from IUP in that 62-13 drubbing. I was probably the only IUP fan happy they were on the road as Fairmont State was only a 20 minutes away from me. The game day atmosphere was lacking since the weather was lousy, FSU was on break and everyone else in West Virginia was tailgating before the WVU vs Oklahoma game but I still had an amazing time none the less.

The greatest play without question was Akwasi Owusu-Ansah punt return against Edinboro in 2009. Starting with the Willy Mays catch, breaking two tackles just to get himself going in the right direction, breaking more tackles, cutting across the field while IUP's blockers stayed in the play. Just too bad it wasn't enough to get us the win that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhqOcr4rTsM

Anyone else have any fun memories from attending football, basketball or other D2 events live?

In recent times (just football) ...

* The Sarka Kick vs. Ashland

* Bad memory but the infamous Lenny Pick Six as IUP was about to win the game at Adamson ... still can't believe it happened

* The #LIT-AF brawl at Miller. This was such a poorly-handled incident all around that it can't be forgotten.

* Oddly, IUP's comeback against Clarion a few years ago. IUP's season was in the dumpster (basically) and Clarion jumped to a 20-0 lead at Miller. IUP came back and won in the fourth quarter. Pretty exciting game.

* 2015 night win against Cal at Miller. This game doesn't get the credit it deserves.

* IUP's win at WCU for the PSAC Title in 2017 -- the IUP traveling contingent basically turned that in to a home game for the Crimson Hawks.

All-time ...

* The entire SRU vs IUP series from 1997 to 2002 ... from the Hail Mary to the Rock Dance. Rock Dance Part 1 was the best. Rock Dance Part 2 was just stupid (and very costly to IUP). The 1999 night win at Miller is probably my favorite game in IUP history. Thrilling finish. Massive crowd. Tremendous atmosphere.

Comment

Shepherd vs Grand Valley 2015 National Semifinals. Amazing game, biggest one in Shepherd's history as well. Shepherd gets their all Region QB knocked out on the first series and the backup Conor Jessup comes in and lights it up. Back and forth game, with Grand Valley scoring a late TD to pull within 2, they go for 2 and the pass gets knocked down. Shepherd advances to their first National Championship appearance. At the time it was the largest crowd in Ram's history. Incredible loud atmosphere.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/football/...erd-highlights

Comment

I don't know about coming up with a single play, but without a doubt the best game I ever saw in person was the 2013 PSAC Championship game against SRU. I thought Quiteh was knocked out of the game 3 or 4 times but just kept coming back in and dragged himself and the Huskies to victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkBnoIiicMM

Comment

Most of the games in recent years I have watched over the internet so I'm going back in time.

#1 was 1993 in New Haven, CT when IUP beat New Haven and Harlon Hill winner Roger Graham 38-35 on a cold, blustery day in New England in the NCAA quarterfinals.

#2 that sticks out in my mind was 2004 when IUP beat Shippensburg and Jon Kuhn at home by a 17-0 score. Everybody expected IUP's winning streak over Ship to end that day. I think that made it 20 in a row for IUP over Ship.

#3 I will list as the 2017 PSAC championship game against West Chester. I couldn't locate IUPNation in the crowd but ended up watching it with Blue Jay from Bloom.

#4 with an *. (D2 vs. D1AA) 1985 IUP loss by 49-41 to Lehigh at Lehigh. Rich Ingold had 460 passing yards and the Lehigh QB (Marty Horn) had 415. Over 1,000 combined yards total offense. It was a great inter-divisional matchup between the Engineers and the Big Indians, now ironically the Mountain Hawks and the Crimson Hawks.

Comment

I'd say my top three, not necessarily in order

1. 2017 IUP/Ashland game

2. 2012 IUP Ship for the PSAC Championship - What made this great was that no one had been able to stop Ship that year, until the IUP D did.

3. Might be the actual best game, the 2008 Bloom vs Cal NCAA Playoff game - the infamous halo call and Danny Latorre being knocked out, and fumbling 7 yds from a winning TD. My friend, who was a huge Bloom Fan, didn't calm down until Sunday night.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              Most of the games in recent years I have watched over the internet so I'm going back in time.

#1 was 1993 in New Haven, CT when IUP beat New Haven and Harlon Hill winner Roger Graham 38-35 on a cold, blustery day in New England in the NCAA quarterfinals.

#2 that sticks out in my mind was 2004 when IUP beat Shippensburg and Jon Kuhn at home by a 17-0 score. Everybody expected IUP's winning streak over Ship to end that day. I think that made it 20 in a row for IUP over Ship.

#3 I will list as the 2017 PSAC championship game against West Chester. I couldn't locate IUPNation in the crowd but ended up watching it with Blue Jay from Bloom.

#4 with an *. (D2 vs. D1AA) 1985 IUP loss by 49-41 to Lehigh at Lehigh. Rich Ingold had 460 passing yards and the Lehigh QB (Marty Horn) had 415. Over 1,000 combined yards total offense. It was a great inter-divisional matchup between the Engineers and the Big Indians, now ironically the Mountain Hawks and the Crimson Hawks.
              Yeah, I think that 1993 IUP-New Haven game had to be the most exciting game ever. I caught that on radio. It was just so back and forth. IUP WR JeMone Smith caught a zillion passes that day. IIRC---Mark Whipple (current Pitt OC) was the head coach for the Chargers that day. Very memorable game.

I was at the 2004 IUP-Ship game and found it rather lackluster. Rocky's triple wing T or whatver they called it was zero match for the IUP D. Kuhn looked like me trying to run the ball. He looked slow, plodding and was stuffed more than a Thanksgiving turkey.

Probably without question the greatest play that I ever saw at Miller was in 1994 when Brian Kelly brought his Grand Valley State team to town and they led late in the contest. IUP QB Ken Ferguson uncorked an 80-yard bomb to Mario Hardison late in the game. That ball not only went very far----it was up there very high. That was one hell of an arm the kid had to make a throw like that. IUP got the win.

Comment

I still vividly remember the 2003 opener. Marquee match-up with Nebraska-Omaha visiting Miller Stadium. Both ranked in the Top 15. Kevin Weidl hit a 50-some yard pass play in the final seconds ... setting up Josh Telenko's winning 31-yard field goad as the clock expired. Mike Jemison went for about 150 on the ground that day.

You don't see many of those mega non-conference games any longer.

The '99 loss at Youngstown State still stings. Had 'em beat. Lost two QBs in that game. One thing was clear that day ... IUP was never being invited back to Youngstown.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-07-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  I still vividly remember the 2003 opener. Marquee match-up with Nebraska-Omaha visiting Miller Stadium. Both ranked in the To 15. Kevin Weidl hit a 50-some yard pass play in the final seconds ... setting up Josh Telenko's winning 31-yard field goad as the clock expired. Mike Jemison went for about 150 on the ground that day.

You don't see many of those mega non-conference games any longer.

The '99 loss at Youngstown State still stings. Had 'em beat. Lost two QBs in that game. One thing was clear that day ... IUP was never being invited back to Youngstown.
                  IUP was never being invited back and Bryan Eyerman's career was born on that day!

Comment

1984, final regular-season game for the PSAC East title. Bloomsburg 34, West Chester 31.

With five seconds left from midfield, Bloomsburg QB Jay Dedea drifts back to his 30 to elude the rush, scrambles to the 40 and unloads a pass 65 yards through three WCU defenders and into the belly of freshman wideout Curtis Still -- his first collegiate reception.

The Farrell Stadium crowd is silent for two full beats before it realizes what had transpired. And then all hell broke loose.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                      1984, final regular-season game for the PSAC East title. Bloomsburg 34, West Chester 31.

With five seconds left from midfield, Bloomsburg QB Jay Dedea drifts back to his 30 to elude the rush, scrambles to the 40 and unloads a pass 65 yards through three WCU defenders and into the belly of freshman wideout Curtis Still -- his first collegiate reception.

The Farrell Stadium crowd is silent for two full beats before it realizes what had transpired. And then all hell broke loose.
                      It was the greatest play I ever saw live. I was sitting on the visiting side, and I as I walked pass the endzone they were still unpiling huskies after they all jumped on Curtis Still. I believed that was his only catch of the year. The play was to throw to TE Grande who was the tallest receiver to see if he could tip it to someone. The play seemed to last forever and was similar to the 1984 Flutie pass to beat Miami.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                        I'd say my top three, not necessarily in order

1. 2017 IUP/Ashland game

2. 2012 IUP Ship for the PSAC Championship - What made this great was that no one had been able to stop Ship that year, until the IUP D did.

3. Might be the actual best game, the 2008 Bloom vs Cal NCAA Playoff game - the infamous halo call and Danny Latorre being knocked out, and fumbling 7 yds from a winning TD. My friend, who was a huge Bloom Fan, didn't calm down until Sunday night.

Comment

I don't remember dates but I've seen several great Edinboro upsets, in the 90s when IUP and Clarion were top 15 or top 10. I believe there was another IUP upset in the early 2000s. Those early 2000s memories are pretty fuzzy.

I was at the notorious Edinboro vs. West Liberty playoff game in 2009 but it wasn't a good watch. Best playoff game was in 04 or 05 Edinboro at East Stroudsburg.

Comment

Last edited by IUPNation; 12-08-2020, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I was in the top row mid field and sitting next to BadnPA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X