Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    Alderson-Broaddus now looking for Week 1.
    They would be a schedule anchor. Would be a good spot for Seton Hill/Millersville/LH to try to pick up a win for the conference! The other teams it wouldn't look so great come playoff time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

They would be a schedule anchor. Would be a good spot for Seton Hill/Millersville/LH to try to pick up a win for the conference! The other teams it wouldn't look so great come playoff time.
      AB just got blown out by a West Liberty team that lost 70-7 to Notre Dame the week before (and ND had 64 points at halftime).

Comment

Ship student paper published an article on the 2021 football schedule. It makes it sound like Ship is still in the process of identifying a Week 1 "yet to be announced opponent".

Comment

Ship student paper published an article on the 2021 football schedule. It makes it sound like Ship is still in the process of identifying a Week 1 "yet to be announced opponent".
          How about they just play a crossover. Seems so simple.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

How about they just play a crossover. Seems so simple.
            A crossover against...Indiana?

Comment

A crossover against...Indiana?
              Whomever. Eliminate the non-conference week. We have enough darn teams. Or, whichever teams can't find a game ... play somebody from the East/West. Seems simple, right?

Comment

Whomever. Eliminate the non-conference week. We have enough darn teams. Or, whichever teams can't find a game ... play somebody from the East/West. Seems simple, right?
                I think that's a worthy consolation. Obviously a non-conference game is ideal but how many fans know the difference at this level? They're showing up whether its Shippensburg or Juniata.

Comment

I think that's a worthy consolation. Obviously a non-conference game is ideal but how many fans know the difference at this level? They're showing up whether its Shippensburg or Juniata.
                  Make it real easy on these teams. Find a Week 1 game yourself or we match you up in crossover.

Week 1 wouldn't count as a conference game regardless. So, if IUP and Ship play it doesn't count toward PSAC race (just playoffs) -- along the same lines as the league was filling in schedules this spring.

Comment

Make it real easy on these teams. Find a Week 1 game yourself or we match you up in crossover.
                    That's a tough sell. Sounds like an unfunded mandate.
                    http://www.indianagazette.com
                    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Week 1 wouldn't count as a conference game regardless. So, if IUP and Ship play it doesn't count toward PSAC race (just playoffs) -- along the same lines as the league was filling in schedules this spring.
                      I'm not sure I like the idea of a forced extra crossover - but it should be encouraged as an alternative to no game at all. Budgets are crap this year - even GLIAC teams are doubling up to get to 11 games. If I was a PSAC AD, I'd schedule whoever will put butts in the seats. A PSAC crossover or OOC school from an adjacent conference. If that's not possible, get a local D3 school. Agree on a margin to trigger mercy offense but they'll bring fans. Who is going to bring more people to a game at Edinboro - St. Anselm or Allegheny?

Comment

I'm not sure I like the idea of a forced extra crossover - but it should be encouraged as an alternative to no game at all. Budgets are crap this year - even GLIAC teams are doubling up to get to 11 games. If I was a PSAC AD, I'd schedule whoever will put butts in the seats. A PSAC crossover or OOC school from an adjacent conference. If that's not possible, get a local D3 school. Agree on a margin to trigger mercy offense but they'll bring fans. Who is going to bring more people to a game at Edinboro - St. Anselm or Allegheny?
                        I wasn't implying force it. But, due to the outcry every time IUP elects to play just 10 games, it seems some would prefer it mandatory to play 11 games.

If that is the case, then scheduling in the conference would seem easiest. You could even stipulate if you elect to just stay in conference, you rotate home/away yearly. Maybe that would motivate teams to find a home non-conference game.

As for opponent ... you are correct. You could poll the IUP student body and I'd guess less than 3% could name the schools in the PSAC West.

I 100% think Tort made the right call this year with 10 games. Four of them (at least) are brutal.

An 11th game, while it could be a rust buster, would cost more money, no doubt result in an injury or two and likely do nothing for SOS (which they won't need anyway).

Comment

Four crossover games per year...it fixes everything...2 home, 2 away.

It also could help West teams not be saddled with the three worst east teams like it seems to happen to IUP often.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                            Four crossover games per year...it fixes everything...2 home, 2 away.

It also could help West teams not be saddled with the three worst east teams like it seems to happen to IUP often.

It seems like the best choice. As stated above, I'd guess about 98.5% of our fans have never heard of Ashland or Wayne State, etc. So, doing home-and-home series with some of these (what we call) more 'name' OOC opponents doesn't drive the needle much at the gate. You'd assume our fans have at least heard of fellow schools in our league.

Now, a few years back when Ashland came here to open the season, IUP did do a pretty good job of hyping that game up. It was also on a Thursday night (no comment).

That said I don't think the league will ever mandate any of our near-broke schools to pick up an 11th game.

By skipping Week 1 you get to bring the team to camp a week later (pay for one less week of housing), etc.

Comment

It seems like the best choice. As stated above, I'd guess about 98.5% of our fans have never heard of Ashland or Wayne State, etc. So, doing home-and-home series with some of these (what we call) more 'name' OOC opponents doesn't drive the needle much at the gate. You'd assume our fans have at least heard of fellow schools in our league.

Now, a few years back when Ashland came here to open the season, IUP did do a pretty good job of hyping that game up. It was also on a Thursday night (no comment).

That said I don't think the league will ever mandate any of our near-broke schools to pick up an 11th game.

By skipping Week 1 you get to bring the team to camp a week later (pay for one less week of housing), etc.
                              I think they could - but should they? The MIAA already has an 11-game conference schedule. There might be one other but I don't recall. Brandon are you lurking out there? The voting delegates in the PSAC are the presidents, but I doubt they make that change without at least support from their AD and HC. It does seem to be getting more difficult to schedule non-conference games.

Comment

I think they could - but should they? The MIAA already has an 11-game conference schedule. There might be one other but I don't recall. Brandon are you lurking out there? The voting delegates in the PSAC are the presidents, but I doubt they make that change without at least support from their AD and HC. It does seem to be getting more difficult to schedule non-conference games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X