X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Each team gets its own budget for things like travel and equipment. They spend it at their discretion.

But unless whatever MIAA or GSC school we're talking about paid for IUP's expenses, I doubt Tort would do it because it would break the travel budget. Some faraway schools have offered a guarantee to play, but it's not enough to cover IUP's travel costs.
    I can imagine the budgets are much tighter than they were 30 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    You are saying Sutton Hall would pay for the foosball team to travel to MIAA and GSC country for a regular season game?
    Each team gets its own budget for things like travel and equipment. They spend it at their discretion.

But unless whatever MIAA or GSC school we're talking about paid for IUP's expenses, I doubt Tort would do it because it would break the travel budget. Some faraway schools have offered a guarantee to play, but it's not enough to cover IUP's travel costs.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Not true.
    You are saying Sutton Hall would pay for the foosball team to travel to MIAA and GSC country for a regular season game?

The band can’t even finds a bus to take the 60 of them to an away game.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Even if Torts wanted to travel beyond the region and play the big dogs in D2....the bean counters would squash it.
    Not true.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Even if Torts wanted to travel beyond the region and play the big dogs in D2....the bean counters would squash it.
    In this system it makes no sense to leave the region.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Those non conference games were the best. National spotlight games. Fun times!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Loved those games. That Catawba game at Miller was unreal. It had it all from the disastrous start to the lightning delay to the huge IUP comeback win. It was a night game too, and I think it was a pretty late night by the time the dust settled. I remember watching Catawba walk out with looks on their faces like they had just seen a ghost.
    I remember the Nebraska-Omaha game like it was yesterday. Talk about a dramatic walk-off.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Those games were cool for the actual football fans. I remember when IUP played Catawba (when they were a power) and also Ferris State ... and 98% of campus and fans basically said "who the F are these guys" as they'd never heard of them. So, to many it was just another game on another Saturday.
    Loved those games. That Catawba game at Miller was unreal. It had it all from the disastrous start to the lightning delay to the huge IUP comeback win. It was a night game too, and I think it was a pretty late night by the time the dust settled. I remember watching Catawba walk out with looks on their faces like they had just seen a ghost.

Leave a comment:

• jrshooter
    replied
    Originally posted by Crimsonhawkfanatic View Post

Why do you keep trying to insult a school that has beat “you’re school” 8 times in the last 10 years? All I have to say is 41-0 LOL… typical IUP hater.
    Sigh. It always comes down to the same thing with you guys. Stop thinking you can win debates by being a bigger dick.

I fully expect a Shippensburg insult. Thankfully, our personal worth is not always dictated by how much our alma mater wins or loses football games.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

Reminds me of when Penn State joined the Big 10 and wanted to form a rivalry with Minnesota and Michigan State. I don't think anybody bought in to it.

I suppose definitions of rivalries vary.
    Maryland would really like to have a rivalry with Penn State and it might be gaining some traction, but the Terps are going to have to be more of a threat in the bigger picture. Of course, Penn State is at best second but more often third or even fourth in their division so maybe it’s closer than it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

Reminds me of when Penn State joined the Big 10 and wanted to form a rivalry with Minnesota and Michigan State. I don't think anybody bought in to it.

I suppose definitions of rivalries vary.
    There was some attempt to promote the rivalry with Michigan State as two of the original land grant colleges — Minnesota not so much. Obviously the B1G rival that makes the most sense is Ohio State, a powerful program in a neighboring state, but Ohio State already had Michigan as a chief football rival. And Penn State hasn't done enough to emerge as the chief football rival to Ohio State. Maryland and Rutgers would be natural football rivals for PSU, but their football programs haven't been strong enough. Former Maryland and NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason hit the nail on the head years ago when he said you have to beat a team once in a while for them to consider you a rival. I think Maryland had won something like one of 35 games against Penn State at that point.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Sure you do. But it takes two to tango. When one side says "you're our rival" and the other one says "meh" it's more of a spat than a rivalry.

Exhibit A: The Civil Con FLiCT
    It’s the same in the NFL.

Eagles fans will say the Cowturds are our biggest rival. Cowturds “fans” say otherwise.

Yet the Eagles have beaten the Turds more times than any other team in the NFL. So for them to say we aren’t their rival is kind of cute. Oh Yeah…Dallas sucks!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    98% of campus and fans basically said "who the F are these guys" as they'd never heard of them.
    That's the existential crisis of Division II sports.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

There are traditional rivalries that are institutionalized (as described by FightingScot82) such as the Lehigh/Lafayette game, Army/Navy, etc. I think you could put The Coal Bowl in that category. There is something with a history that is on the line.

Rivalries all have to do with creating excitement and the pregame build-up. Back in the Cignetti late 80's and 90's, what was exciting was IUP going outside of the PSAC and playing against strong programs from other regions - his vision was more of a national D2 competitive level (regionalization of D2 made that obsolete, anyway). In those years, our rivals were schools like GVSU, SVSU, Towson, and New Haven. If you remember those series, it was a little more exciting than playing the SHU's of the world.
    Those games were cool for the actual football fans. I remember when IUP played Catawba (when they were a power) and also Ferris State ... and 98% of campus and fans basically said "who the F are these guys" as they'd never heard of them. So, to many it was just another game on another Saturday.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X