• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Four months? Try 35 years.

I don't read too much in to Tort's comments. I think he's being a little coy. Every team has some depth issues or concerns heading in to camp. Reality is there may be some games they give up 21-24 points -- but score 49-56 points. These two new OL they added (and spent a lot for) are proven guys at this level. They'll be fine.

My wish list item for Tort this year is to get his stars out of blowouts. Duane Brown got hurt in the second half of the Clarion game with IUP up 35-some points. He eventually came back but wasn't near the same.

I agree with EyeoftheHawk that Tort is going to have to coach through some blowouts this year. He has not been good at pulling starters. He should have ample time to get whomever is the No. 2 QB some actual game experience. The worst thing that can happen (aside from a star getting hurt up by 5-6 TDs) is to have a QB have to take his first actual game snap of the season up at Slippery Rock, against Cal, etc.

RB-wise, they have two solid ones returning in Houser and Younger. Yes, Houser is a concern due to his injury history (which is extensive). Because of that, I actually see him getting a lighter load and Younger being the feature back. The DB they moved to RB in the Spring is actually pretty legit on the offensive side.

Now, as I said yesterday, I think Dayjure Stewart playing this year is a pipe dream -- which likely prompted the DB to RB move last March. At the end of August, he'll be just (8) months removed from ACL surgery. Is it physically possible he's ready by mid- to late-October? Yes. The mental part is the tricky item to deal with coming back from that injury -- especially for a brutal position like RB.

QB-wise, they probably have as good as backups as anybody else. It's extremely difficult to have quality QB depth at this level. If they are legit players and aren't playing, well, they just go play somewhere else.
    A key point here is that all teams have these “issues” to deal with, which I didn’t mention in my post. I would also agree that Tort tends to understate what he has and overstate his problem areas. He’s an experienced guy when it comes to the media.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Man this sure took a turn from the last 4 months of hype.
    Not from me. I’m more on the “believe it when I see it” train.

Leave a comment:

• Ship69
    replied

I don't read too much in to Tort's comments. I think he's being a little coy. Every team has some depth issues or concerns heading in to camp. Reality is there may be some games they give up 21-24 points -- but score 49-56 points. These two new OL they added (and spent a lot for) are proven guys at this level. They'll be fine.

My wish list item for Tort this year is to get his stars out of blowouts. Duane Brown got hurt in the second half of the Clarion game with IUP up 35-some points. He eventually came back but wasn't near the same.

I agree with EyeoftheHawk that Tort is going to have to coach through some blowouts this year. He has not been good at pulling starters. He should have ample time to get whomever is the No. 2 QB some actual game experience. The worst thing that can happen (aside from a star getting hurt up by 5-6 TDs) is to have a QB have to take his first actual game snap of the season up at Slippery Rock, against Cal, etc.

RB-wise, they have two solid ones returning in Houser and Younger. Yes, Houser is a concern due to his injury history (which is extensive). Because of that, I actually see him getting a lighter load and Younger being the feature back. The DB they moved to RB in the Spring is actually pretty legit on the offensive side.

Now, as I said yesterday, I think Dayjure Stewart playing this year is a pipe dream -- which likely prompted the DB to RB move last March. At the end of August, he'll be just (8) months removed from ACL surgery. Is it physically possible he's ready by mid- to late-October? Yes. The mental part is the tricky item to deal with coming back from that injury -- especially for a brutal position like RB.

QB-wise, they probably have as good as backups as anybody else. It's extremely difficult to have quality QB depth at this level. If they are legit players and aren't playing, well, they just go play somewhere else.
    I think it's safe to say that most of the other teams in the PSAC would love to have IUP's problems.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

If only it were that simple.

IUP will be good and per usual, will cruise in most games and find themselves in the traditional battles against Cal and Slippery Rock (Ashland in the opener). When it comes to winning the PSAC, region, or beyond, you better be able to slow down the running game. I’m not saying IUP doesn’t have the personnel to do it because I don’t know, but this report should be concerning to the IUP faithful who aren’t satisfied with 8-3.

A revamped offensive line should also be cause for concern, especially if Djouha can’t play. If you’re not solid up front on both sides of the ball, it doesn’t matter what fancy toys you have at the skill positions. There is very little time between this weekend and the opener against Ashland to get the lines clicking and that doesn’t take into account injuries that tend to pop up in camp. Let’s also not ignore the QB situation where everyone will be holding their breath every time Hunter drops back or takes off. There is no proven backup. Not even close. IUP is also thin at running back in my opinion.

I’m still optimistic about the possibilities for this team, but equally concerned that things might not go as we all hope.
    I don't disagree with your concerns but I think we are deep at QB. Both Marchitelli and Romano are in camp. There's a lot of potential there.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

Paco: Look at Bobby tackle. I haven't seen a tackle like that since Joe Montana.

Walter: Joe Montana was a quarterback, you idiot.

Paco: I said Joe Mantegna.
    Foosball...it's the devil.

Leave a comment:

• Ram040506
    replied

IUP will be good and per usual, will cruise in most games and find themselves in the traditional battles against Cal and Slippery Rock (Ashland in the opener). When it comes to winning the PSAC, region, or beyond, you better be able to slow down the running game. I’m not saying IUP doesn’t have the personnel to do it because I don’t know, but this report should be concerning to the IUP faithful who aren’t satisfied with 8-3.

A revamped offensive line should also be cause for concern, especially if Djouha can’t play. If you’re not solid up front on both sides of the ball, it doesn’t matter what fancy toys you have at the skill positions. There is very little time between this weekend and the opener against Ashland to get the lines clicking and that doesn’t take into account injuries that tend to pop up in camp. Let’s also not ignore the QB situation where everyone will be holding their breath every time Hunter drops back or takes off. There is no proven backup. Not even close. IUP is also thin at running back in my opinion.

I’m still optimistic about the possibilities for this team, but equally concerned that things might not go as we all hope.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

...or use 3 LB's or a Nose Guard in running situations. Or, the players they have might do the job. Everybody is inexperienced at some point.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

So we stink again?

Paco: Look at Bobby tackle. I haven't seen a tackle like that since Joe Montana.

Walter: Joe Montana was a quarterback, you idiot.

Paco: I said Joe Mantegna.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    This is a big item (from the Gazette article):

STILL WAITING: Tortorella said the NCAA has requested more information before deciding on whether to award another season of eligibility for right tackle McLean Djouha.

A member of Tortorella’s initial signing class of 2017, the 6-foot-8, 300-pound Djouha didn’t see action until 2019. But he has played in 30 games in the Crimson Hawks’ past three seasons. If he is granted another season of eligibility, he would be an immediate boost to a line that has lost three starters.

“If he would be eligible,” Tortorella said, “we would be probably not as experienced as we’ve been in the past, but talent-wise would be really pretty good.”

Djouha has a whole lot of experience and is a real handful. I really hope he gets the extra year. It's also amazing what is taking so long. They've been talking about this situation with him since January.

No big surprise on the Syracuse transfer. Word was he was totally lost and his time away from football caught up to him. It was worth a shot, as Tort said.
    So we stink again?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Fowler and Lockhardt are huge additions to both sides of the ball. Not a chance Stewart plays this year. Yes he may get cleared during the season but will he be in game shape at any point... NO!!!
    Agreed. His surgery was in January. I've been saying November -- at best.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

If you can’t stop the run, you can’t win against good teams. One would assume the game plan against IUP will be to keep the offense off the field using ball control so this situation plays right into that scenario. This is a glaring concern for IUP. It wouldn’t surprise me if they moved an extra O lineman to that side of the ball before the opener.
    Don't forget we haven't seen the roster yet. Tort is famous for not mentioning some guys in these previews.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

If you can’t stop the run, you can’t win against good teams. One would assume the game plan against IUP will be to keep the offense off the field using ball control so this situation plays right into that scenario. This is a glaring concern for IUP. It wouldn’t surprise me if they moved an extra O lineman to that side of the ball before the opener.
    ...or use 3 LB's or a Nose Guard in running situations. Or, the players they have might do the job. Everybody is inexperienced at some point.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    Looks like we're off to the races now. It's been a long wait. Matt's article very informative with a lot of key information. No mentions of punter Grubbs, though. TE Aiden Johnson is not back. Stewart's availability is a question mark. The big OL from Syracuse is not on the team. Appears to be really thin at DT but you never know who will step up. However, aside from a lack of experience, they don't appear to have much depth at that position. I'm surprised IUP couldn't land a transfer for DT.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...70b9c6dbd.html

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Fowler and Lockhardt are huge additions to both sides of the ball. Not a chance Stewart plays this year. Yes he may get cleared during the season but will he be in game shape at any point... NO!!!

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X