X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP24
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Difference is Curt was moving about the country all those years while Torts has been in Indiana the whole time. Curt wasn't staying at IUP. We had hoped for another Cignetti Magical Run but it didn't happen.

The only way I see him leaving is maybe he gets offered the Akron job now that his son is going to attend there.

The IUP job is pretty decent. You have decent funding and support. It's in a pretty nice town for the area and you can live comfortably there. It's not that far to Pittsburgh to enjoy the city.

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

There’s a 0% chance of this.
    Agree with both.

I think most close to the program could recognize Curt wasn't going to be around very long. And within the context of the conversation, that's okay. Both got what they wanted out of the marriage. IUP wanted a shot of life and resurgence after the Tepper era. Curt needed an opportunity somewhere to show he could be a head coach after years as a successful well-traveled assistant at multiple big name schools.

Regarding Tort... I don't see it at all. He's been at the D2 level for far too long at this point. I never even heard him "linked" to an FCS job, which makes me think that rumor is shaky at best. Reality with Tort is that he probably just hasn't had enough success (please don't shoot me for saying that) at this level to make major waves with higher profile opportunities at a higher level. Had he followed up 2017 with trips to the SR1 Championship or National Semifinal the next two seasons in 2018 and 2019, then yeah, he'd be getting some buzz. But that's not happened. He's a really, really good coach at this level. And he's had very good success at IUP since taking over for Curt. He's mostly always had them legitimately as one of the 2-3 best teams in the PSAC and in contention for the playoffs. As a fan and program, that's what you want.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

The only way I see him leaving is maybe he gets offered the Akron job now that his son is going to attend there.
    There’s a 0% chance of this.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Tort has been, I'd say, at least 'linked' to a couple FCS jobs the past two years. Now, whether he interviewed for any of them I don't know.

Curt had (is having) a lot of success.
    Difference is Curt was moving about the country all those years while Torts has been in Indiana the whole time. Curt wasn't staying at IUP. We had hoped for another Cignetti Magical Run but it didn't happen.

The IUP job is pretty decent. You have decent funding and support. It's in a pretty nice town for the area and you can live comfortably there. It's not that far to Pittsburgh to enjoy the city.

Leave a comment:

• Iupgh
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Curt is now in a different world of The Sun Belt!
    JMU will be just fine, great Stadium, facilities and recruiting area quite fertile.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Tort has been, I'd say, at least 'linked' to a couple FCS jobs the past two years. Now, whether he interviewed for any of them I don't know.

Curt is now in a different world of The Sun Belt!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Considering he’s been on the staff since the 90’s I doubt he has plans to move on…he’s got a pretty good gig.

The biggest secret in life as you get older is finding your lane that will make you happy in all aspects of your life.

I could have a bigger job with higher pay but would it make me happy? I don’t think so.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post

I wonder if that has kept Tort to stay at IUP for as long as he has. Two kids staying at the same school all the way up in the coaching Industry is rare.
    Considering he’s been on the staff since the 90’s I doubt he has plans to move on…he’s got a pretty good gig.

The biggest secret in life as you get older is finding your lane that will make you happy in all aspects of your life.

I could have a bigger job with higher pay but would it make me happy? I don’t think so.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Crimson Hawk
    replied

Yes. His other son, Michael, still plays at Indiana High School. They’re good kids.
    I wonder if that has kept Tort to stay at IUP for as long as he has. Two kids staying at the same school all the way up in the coaching Industry is rare.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

There is still a location at the Johnstown Galleria. It has some irregular hours but it's still open. That's the last one I know still in operation.

The one at IUP was always packed. It likely just died during the summer months.
    We could never understand why it went under. It was busy most of the time, even when school was out. It was privately owned and I believe at the time they just decided to get out of the business and couldn’t find a buyer. I hated working homecoming weekend but at the same time you could expect well over $100 in tips on Saturday. In the mid 90’s, that was a lot of cash for a college kid.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP Crimson Hawk View Post
    Yes. His other son, Michael, still plays at Indiana High School. They’re good kids.

Leave a comment:

• IUP Crimson Hawk
    replied
    https://twitter.com/zachtort23/statu...pWKnbJPO_hHf4A
    Is this Torts son?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I waited tables there for a couple years while in school. Place was largely run by students. It was the ultimate place to get phone numbers from girls. They would leave them on the paper used for a table covering. If you’ll recall, there were Crayons and servers would write their names upside down so the guests could read them. Then guest would write or draw whatever they wanted while there. It was a pretty fun place to work and the food was good.
    There is still a location at the Johnstown Galleria. It has some irregular hours but it's still open. That's the last one I know still in operation.

The one at IUP was always packed. It likely just died during the summer months.

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied

I remember when the Italian Oven was in that general location for a time.
    I waited tables there for a couple years while in school. Place was largely run by students. It was the ultimate place to get phone numbers from girls. They would leave them on the paper used for a table covering. If you’ll recall, there were Crayons and servers would write their names upside down so the guests could read them. Then guest would write or draw whatever they wanted while there. It was a pretty fun place to work and the food was good.

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I was referring to WCCS, not the IUP station. Kinko's was in the front facing the street but Valley Dairy and later a deli were on the side of the building by the intersection.
    I thought the radio station was on 5th Street? Again I don’t ever recall a radio station there but I do think sone sort of sandwich place was there.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

The Valley Dairy is actually kind of booming. It does very well with the older crowd and also with the students. They didn't price gauge like just about every one of their competitors did (Eat-n-Park, for example, got ridiculous for the quality of what you actually get). VD has also opened several new locations in the past couple years. Obviously it's not four-star dining, but as far as diner food goes it's not too bad.

Romeo's (basically on campus) is the best kept secret in Indiana. I think many see it as a pizza shop but it's evolved in to a full-blown restaurant -- with really good quality food and a great drink menu. The location is tricky for business -- great for a pizza shop per se but perhaps not so great for a higher quality restaurant (most locals don't like to get near campus while in session).
    Romeo's is absolutely fantastic. Every time we make a return visit for games, we eat there. She loves the pesto chicken.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X