Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I watched the whole game. IUP wins this 8/10 times for sure. They had more talent, were bigger. 1st game is always a mess, and they almost certainly allowed that mess to cost them this game. These 2 teams play later in the season after a few games, I think IUP wins by 20. The Ashland qb, was unimpressive. Just a huge dude, who could barely move with mediocre to poor accuracy.

I thought IUP's defensive backs played a great game, just need to tell #11 to shut up. He's a good player, but man he's gonna cost you guys like he always does in critical games with how emotional he is. #54 the LB really stood out to me as well. He seemed like he was in on every play.

#2 QB for IUP, not sure what to make of him yet. Doesn't seem to read the field, but a good solid athlete for sure. I wasn't impressed with the throwing, but the WR talent is as advertised. Exceptional group of pass catchers, and that TE #81 I think is a 1st team all american type player.

Great opening win for IUP, congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Lot to clean up (and fire the special teams coach) but that wasn't some slouch. Ashland is very tough.
      Can't wait for Edinboro to once again exploit that heralded IUP special teams unit. But nice to see attendance up. Thursday night games on Labor Day weekend are a great idea for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
        I watched the whole game. IUP wins this 8/10 times for sure. They had more talent, were bigger. 1st game is always a mess, and they almost certainly allowed that mess to cost them this game. These 2 teams play later in the season after a few games, I think IUP wins by 20. The Ashland qb, was unimpressive. Just a huge dude, who could barely move with mediocre to poor accuracy.

I thought IUP's defensive backs played a great game, just need to tell #11 to shut up. He's a good player, but man he's gonna cost you guys like he always does in critical games with how emotional he is. #54 the LB really stood out to me as well. He seemed like he was in on every play.

#2 QB for IUP, not sure what to make of him yet. Doesn't seem to read the field, but a good solid athlete for sure. I wasn't impressed with the throwing, but the WR talent is as advertised. Exceptional group of pass catchers, and that TE #81 I think is a 1st team all american type player.

Great opening win for IUP, congrats!
        While I agree Ashland's QB didn't look great, he had about 5 or 6 passes that where right on the money and guys just didn't catch them. I would say Ashland's wide receivers need some work. Its also probably a testament to IUP's secondary. They were all over the field tonight, good looking group.

Overall I thought Ashland played a solid game. Not easy to win on the road vs a top team. The biggest mistake of the night was not scoring when you had the ball at the 2 with 4 mins left. Ashland is going to need to figure something out on offense, because everyone knows they want to run the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Can't wait for Edinboro to once again exploit that heralded IUP special teams unit. But nice to see attendance up. Thursday night games on Labor Day weekend are a great idea for everyone.
          IUP should play 2-3 night games a year. Night games at Miller are just different. The atmosphere is tremendously better. The crowd is engaged. The students attend. By D2 standards, that was a lively environment last night.

Thankfully, they've at least moved away from the dreaded 'early bird special' 12 p.m. kickoffs.

I agree with you. At most of our 'suitcase' schools, a home opener on Labor Day Saturday usually results in a terrible atmosphere.

Comment

Tort on his (un)special teams unit:

"We've got to stop stupid penalties. Our kicking game was atrocious tonight. Atrocious. Kickoff coverage was bad. Both punt teams were bad. We've got a lot of work to do."

That summed it up pretty well.

Comment

Yesterday I had an EXTREMELY LONG day at work. So I was not able to watch nor listen to the game. I could only follow the game at times via the Live Stats tool. Happy to see that IUP won. However, it sounds like the team, particularly the (un)Special Teams has some cleaning up to do. Again, I did not see the game, but was the punt returner TWICE trying to receive a punt around the 5 yard line? I thought returners are taught to let the ball go around the 5 yard line?

Comment

IUP should play 2-3 night games a year. Night games at Miller are just different. The atmosphere is tremendously better. The crowd is engaged. The students attend. By D2 standards, that was a lively environment last night.

Thankfully, they've at least moved away from the dreaded 'early bird special' 12 p.m. kickoffs.

I agree with you. At most of our 'suitcase' schools, a home opener on Labor Day Saturday usually results in a terrible atmosphere.
                I just checked the schedule. A 2pm game is not TOO bad for me to commute to/from IUP. I just won't eat there in Indiana, and wait til I get back here in Maryland.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

I've seen the same thing on Shepherd TV broadcasts...Annoying.
                  It's annoying no matter who does it.

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post

While I agree Ashland's QB didn't look great, he had about 5 or 6 passes that where right on the money and guys just didn't catch them. I would say Ashland's wide receivers need some work. Its also probably a testament to IUP's secondary. They were all over the field tonight, good looking group.

Overall I thought Ashland played a solid game. Not easy to win on the road vs a top team. The biggest mistake of the night was not scoring when you had the ball at the 2 with 4 mins left. Ashland is going to need to figure something out on offense, because everyone knows they want to run the ball.
                    I have to agree with you that assessment. Must come away with 7 points, especially on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                      Yesterday I had an EXTREMELY LONG day at work. So I was not able to watch nor listen to the game. I could only follow the game at times via the Live Stats tool. Happy to see that IUP won. However, it sounds like the team, particularly the (un)Special Teams has some cleaning up to do. Again, I did not see the game, but was the punt returner TWICE trying to receive a punt around the 5 yard line? I thought returners are taught to let the ball go around the 5 yard line?
                      Yes, partly due to the screwy punt formation Ashland uses. Ironic that last year IUP beat Ashland by blocking a punt, and scoring.

Comment

Labor Day weekend is usually a dead weekend everywhere. I think Slippery Rock does this right - they do evening games until the weather cools down. Anyone who has a conundrum about watching evening football on TV or in person probably wasn't coming anyway.

Comment

I feel like Ashland was completely overmatched in most phases of the game last night. IUP kept them in the game with special teams play. The only other area I felt Ashland had the advantage was that their defensive line killed IUP's offensive line. But Ashland's secondary just wasn't very good. IUP has very good WRs, but they were constantly running wide open. It reminded me of Shepherd's less than spectacular secondary from two years ago. Defensively, IUP was great in all phases, but Ashland's QB is not ready for prime time.
                          ​​​​​​
                          Overall, it was a good win. Although, I don't see Ashland as a playoff team like some suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram Tough View Post
                            I feel like Ashland was completely overmatched in most phases of the game last night. IUP kept them in the game with special teams play. The only other area I felt Ashland had the advantage was that their defensive line killed IUP's offensive line. But Ashland's secondary just wasn't very good. IUP has very good WRs, but they were constantly running wide open. It reminded me of Shepherd's less than spectacular secondary from two years ago. Defensively, IUP was great in all phases, but Ashland's QB is not ready for prime time.
                            ​​​​​​
                            Overall, it was a good win. Although, I don't see Ashland as a playoff team like some suggest.
                            Well, their room for error is small. Ferris State up next. I'd have to assume they are starting 0-2.

Comment

Well, their room for error is small. Ferris State up next. I'd have to assume they are starting 0-2.
                              It's definitely small. I just feel like their secondary and subpar offense will bite them a few times this season. However, they should still be a team with a solid record and will look good on IUP's playoff resumé.
                              ​​

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X