Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Negative. The band will be in Allentown this weekend.
    Most of them will be…IUP goes on at 3:15.

Joining them are:

Mansfield
    Mon Valley U
    Bloomsburg
    Shepherd
    Shippensburg
    Kutztown
    Millersville
    Walk On U (and their boat load of props)

Last edited by IUPNation; 09-28-2023, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Edinboro was definitely the rival. I remember those games more vividly than games with Slippery Rock. There were some great games and there really wasn’t a third team in the mix like now with IUP, Cal, and SRU. When I think of Slippery Rock games I primarily recall the homecoming blowout loss followed by the big playoff win that same season and subsequent rock dance.

I don’t believe McKavish was on IUP’s radar screen at the time. As few local players as there are on the roster now, it felt like there were even fewer in those days. It was almost as if IUP didn’t even start looking at players until they were 50 miles outside of town. Realistically, that’s a pretty good strategy given the general level of local talent.
      Seems so long ago but recall Clarion had a monster run there in the mid-90s. I think it was 1996 (ish) that the Golden Eagles made the national title game.

Personally, I don't see these next two games any differently. Cal and SRU make or break every season. Historically, yes, SRU is the bigger rival, but the past 20 years they are both equal on the 'rivalry' scale.

IUP/SRU has more animosity and hatred. IUP/Cal has more respect given both ways. One way or another, doesn't really matter, both are tough yearly games. Luckily (sarcasm) IUP gets to play them back to back every season.

But, from reading this board, I have absolutely no idea how IUP could possibly win this weekend. SRU may give Happy Valley a good game from what I'm hearing. Of course, I read those same thoughts the past two years, too.

Comment

Seems so long ago but recall Clarion had a monster run there in the mid-90s. I think it was 1996 (ish) that the Golden Eagles made the national title game.

Personally, I don't see these next two games any differently. Cal and SRU make or break every season. Historically, yes, SRU is the bigger rival, but the past 20 years they are both equal on the 'rivalry' scale.

IUP/SRU has more animosity and hatred. IUP/Cal has more respect given both ways. One way or another, doesn't really matter, both are tough yearly games. Luckily (sarcasm) IUP gets to play them back to back every season.

But, from reading this board, I have absolutely no idea how IUP could possibly win this weekend. SRU may give Happy Valley a good game from what I'm hearing. Of course, I read those same thoughts the past two years, too.
        I think it was 96. They BARELY lost the national semifinal to Northern Colorado in their last year of DII ball. Can't remember if Aaron Smith was on that team or not. Malen Luke was the coach and Chris Weibel was the QB.

Edinboro in the 80s was to IUP what SRU and Cal have been to IUP for the last 15 years. They had great fundraising and a good tradition. Slowly it all started to erode with ho hum leadership in the department and a shifting priority to D1 wrestling.

Comment

I think you IUP guys make this stuff up about the SRU juggernaut lol. I'm reading the same board, and I don't see any of this SRU love that you claim to read.

In regard to the game, I think IUP is battle tested, and SRU has had a soft slate to start the year. SRU better be able to take that first punch to the mouth and not let the shock linger before they wake up and compete. If the IUP qb can play mistake free and sustain a few drives, I like IUP to win. I think I picked SRU, simply because I don't think he takes care of the ball and that is ultimately what loses these type of games. Plus I think SRU is better coached as well.

If it were off raw talent, tough to beat IUP on paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I don’t recall the stories behind his recruitment, but I’m not sure Frank would’ve even been interested in a QB like him. This was long before dual threat QBs became all the rage and McKavish was an undersized guy who just made plays with his arm and legs. IUP ran more of a pro style offense.
            I'm going to reply to this response, but not singling you out Chuck. I've got some perspective on this one as well:

First of all, I LOVE SRU/Indiana week. One of the best 'vibes' in college football.

I know that Frank did a home visit to the McKavish house and tried to recruit Randy. But George Mihalik's hometown is Ebensburg, and there was a connection there. Randy was going to SRU.

True, Frank had the upper hand from 88-96. When George Mihalik took over the reins of Rock Football they were mired between 3-7 and 5-5 records. From '88-96 Frank definitely had the upper hand (Rock was 0-9 vs. Indiana) From 97-Mihaliks last year, they were pretty even (9-10). But of course, that also counts Curt Cignetti's years (2011-205) in which case SRU was 4-1 in those years).

Regardless of all of the jabs back and forth between these two fan bases, this remains the best rivalry in D2 and PSAC.

Comment

Originally posted by RockPride View Post

Regardless of all of the jabs back and forth between these two fan bases, this remains the best rivalry in D2 and PSAC.
              While I appreciate the enthusiasm and do believe it’s a great regional rivalry, it’s not the best in D2 in my opinion. Since I was curious, I found this article to be interesting. This one just covers games played against each other but it was still good reading:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...otball-history

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think it was 96. They BARELY lost the national semifinal to Northern Colorado in their last year of DII ball. Can't remember if Aaron Smith was on that team or not. Malen Luke was the coach and Chris Weibel was the QB.

Edinboro in the 80s was to IUP what SRU and Cal have been to IUP for the last 15 years. They had great fundraising and a good tradition. Slowly it all started to erode with ho hum leadership in the department and a shifting priority to D1 wrestling.
                Clarion had some good squads way back in the '60s when I attended Ship. I can remember a home game against them when our fullback, Ed Hammers (great name for a fullback, eh?) tore off what I believe was a Ship-record 98-yard run against them and put Ship ahead 8-7. The excitement was short-lived as the Eagles then proceeded to lay a 36-8 beating on us. Hammers is deservedly in the Ship Athletic Hall of Fame. During his last year he got almost 800 yards rushing in an eight-game season behind an undersized offensive line that wasn't opening huge holes.

Clarion gave Ship some tremendous beatings in the '60s and at one point we had a 14-game losing streak to them. It was so bad back then that I believe even after dominating them in the 21st century we are on the wrong side of the all-time record to them. It's kind of a reverse reflection of Shepherd, whom we used to dominate back then and can't seem to beat lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Clarion had some good squads way back in the '60s when I attended Ship. I can remember a home game against them when our fullback, Ed Hammers (great name for a fullback, eh?) tore off what I believe was a Ship-record 98-yard run against them and put Ship ahead 8-7. The excitement was short-lived as the Eagles then proceeded to lay a 36-8 beating on us. Hammers is deservedly in the Ship Athletic Hall of Fame. During his last year he got almost 800 yards rushing in an eight-game season behind an undersized offensive line that wasn't opening huge holes.

Clarion gave Ship some tremendous beatings in the '60s and at one point we had a 14-game losing streak to them. It was so bad back then that I believe even after dominating them in the 21st century we are on the wrong side of the all-time record to them. It's kind of a reverse reflection of Shepherd, whom we used to dominate back then and can't seem to beat lately.
                  Ship still has the upper hand all time in the series. Think its something like 29-23 in favor of Ship. Since 2000 Shepherd holds a 14-3 advantage, so it was certainly quite lopsided prior to then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Ship still has the upper hand all time in the series. Think its something like 29-23 in favor of Ship. Since 2000 Shepherd holds a 14-3 advantage, so it was certainly quite lopsided prior to then.
                    Well, if we don't get our program going in the right direction it looks as if you'll make up the remaining deficit quickly. I certainly don't expect us to win this week.

Comment

What happened in 94? I was on the football team in 99 and remember those games vs the rock

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                        What happened in 94? I was on the football team in 99 and remember those games vs the rock
                        As I recall IUP was up big and ran a successful fake punt in the 4th quarter and scored again.

​​​​​ It's been 30 years so a little fuzzy.

Dr. Evil pretty much said they ran it up in the infamous '99 Homecoming game at IUP in retaliation of the fake punt years earlier. Obviously IUP got the last laugh that season, winning at SRU in the playoffs and doing Rock Dance Part 1 afterward.

Comment

The playoff game vs the rock was awesome. 99 was a great year, to bad it ended in Maryville, Missouri.

Comment

This is 100% the best rivalry in D2 football throughout the entire country. Tell me what who is better. These 2 teams hate each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, if we don't get our program going in the right direction it looks as if you'll make up the remaining deficit quickly. I certainly don't expect us to win this week.
                              We should also note that Clarion's AD was the one who blew the whistle on Ship in 1978 when the Raiders scrimmaged Gettysburg in preseason and pushed about 15 of their players over the allowed game limit at the time.

Ship had the option of sitting those players against Clarion in the regular-season finale, or play them and forfeit the playoffs.

Head coach Joe Mark was summarily dismissed before the Clarion game was played, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

We should also note that Clarion's AD was the one who blew the whistle on Ship in 1978 when the Raiders scrimmaged Gettysburg in preseason and pushed about 15 of their players over the allowed game limit at the time.

Ship had the option of sitting those players against Clarion in the regular-season finale, or play them and forfeit the playoffs.

Head coach Joe Mark was summarily dismissed before the Clarion game was played, if I recall correctly.
                                You sure about the date? Pretty sure Joe Mark was coaching in 1981 when they won the PSAC and went 12-1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X