Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I agree. Team Captains, multi-sport athletes, players who excelled on the field and off. The guys who were All State or Bust are just going to transfer to something better.
    I think “team captain” is a bit of an overrated attribute in recruiting. Even high school teams that suck have one (or two, or three) so it’s hard to use that as a serious indicator that a guy is going to contribute to winning.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

I think “team captain” is a bit of an overrated attribute in recruiting. Even high school teams that suck have one (or two, or three) so it’s hard to use that as a serious indicator that a guy is going to contribute to winning.
      I get what you're saying but the leader of a team with a losing record is better for a program than an selfish starter on a great team. You're right, team captain can be overrated or a popularity contest, but most are a sign of respect (depending on who chooses the captain). If talent is comparable, I'd take team captains and coaches kids over nephew of an NFL player any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

I would agree with this. The last couple of years haven't been pretty, but Mac has done a creditable job of maintaining competitive teams over the long haul and on occasion has had teams capable of beating anyone in the league on a given day. It looks as if he's brought in a nice class this year, but the key is preventing them from leaking out of the program a la Dorsey, Douglass, etc. I think it's significant that he and his staff appear to have put in more work closer to home than they have in a while.
        Easier said than done, but you guys just need the QB position to play better and stay healthy. I think those guys have left more because they just lost faith in the QB position considering their position as a playmaker relies a lot on that guy getting them the ball efficiently. It seems like the same story the last 2/3 years, where you guys are just churning through 3-4 qbs every year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

and they'll still underachieve and suck!
          Underachieve? Having about 10 scholarships and winning the amount of games they did last year is not underachieving. Same is said for Kutztown. You have double the amount of scholarships both schools have. No reason why IUP shouldn't be winning 9 games a year.

Comment

Only news on WCU-- picked up 23. https://pafootballnews.com/commitments/

Comment

Twitter is hilarious. EVERY kid is a "beast" or a "dawg" or a "stud". Every. One.

For me the great mystery is that there are kids who right now are sitting on a handful of offers and end up doing nothing. Just disappear into the abyss. Even some who were announced as recruits by the schools.
              Kids buy into it. Schools are changing the way they recruit to accommodate these kids and their social environments. They use twitter, facebook, snapchat and tiktok.

Comment

I get what you're saying but the leader of a team with a losing record is better for a program than an selfish starter on a great team. You're right, team captain can be overrated or a popularity contest, but most are a sign of respect (depending on who chooses the captain). If talent is comparable, I'd take team captains and coaches kids over nephew of an NFL player any day.
                I have always said the same here. I think being a captain is something earned in most programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Easier said than done, but you guys just need the QB position to play better and stay healthy. I think those guys have left more because they just lost faith in the QB position considering their position as a playmaker relies a lot on that guy getting them the ball efficiently. It seems like the same story the last 2/3 years, where you guys are just churning through 3-4 qbs every year.
                  Hard for the QB to play well when the o-line is constantly churning. That also accounts for the QBs taking hits and getting injured. When the QB is running for his life, it's hard to get the ball efficiently to anybody. Also means your running backs are taking a beating when running behind an inexperienced line. Khalid Dorsey's ypc average went up almost 4 yards when he moved from Ship to Slippery Rock. They lost a couple of guys from a d-line that was third against the rush in the PSAC. Once you get on a downward trend, and your best players are being raided, you probably need to push the restart button. First step is getting some strong linemen and hanging on to them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigCat2192 View Post

Usually means one of the best players on the team, yes? Or the guys the team chose. Either way it speaks pretty well of them...

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

Underachieve? Having about 10 scholarships and winning the amount of games they did last year is not underachieving. Same is said for Kutztown. You have double the amount of scholarships both schools have. No reason why IUP shouldn't be winning 9 games a year.
                      They can't handle the truth...Small doses...Have you ever considered they have trouble counting scholarships too??

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Hard for the QB to play well when the o-line is constantly churning. That also accounts for the QBs taking hits and getting injured. When the QB is running for his life, it's hard to get the ball efficiently to anybody. Also means your running backs are taking a beating when running behind an inexperienced line. Khalid Dorsey's ypc average went up almost 4 yards when he moved from Ship to Slippery Rock. They lost a couple of guys from a d-line that was third against the rush in the PSAC. Once you get on a downward trend, and your best players are being raided, you probably need to push the restart button. First step is getting some strong linemen and hanging on to them.
                        They now have three veteran quarterbacks on the roster -- Stoner, McCracken, Gunnels. Do you see any of them being the guy to lead them back into contention?

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

They can't handle the truth...Small doses...Have you ever considered they have trouble counting scholarships too??
                          We know how to subtract all of Dennys wins vs Cheyney and Mansfield to equal he’s was basically just a barely above .500 coach.

We also know Frank Cignetti is the best coach of all time in the Pee Sack. He was treated rudely by a score board at East Dennyburg. Danny Hale is the second best coach of all time in the Pee Sack. He owned ESU too.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

They now have three veteran quarterbacks on the roster -- Stoner, McCracken, Gunnels. Do you see any of them being the guy to lead them back into contention?
                            Don't remember Gunnels throwing a pass for them, so I'll pass on him. Obviously the HS credentials are good, but so are those for almost all the recruits. Of McCracken and Stoner, McCracken can't seem to stay on the field for more than a game without being injured. Stoner had some freshman up and downs, but showed some flashes at times. He had a good game against Shepherd. I think I'd give him a shot and see how it went. With all the departures and new faces, I'm not expecting a banner season even if the big recruiting class is a success. They'll still be mostly freshman.

I thought Evan Falco looked playable at times. He led them to that upset of Gannon a couple of seasons back in Erie. But he didn't seem to be the coaches' favorite for whatever reason and now is at Lock Haven. In the incoming class they have the one QB, Vince Miccuci, from suburban Philly.

In addition to the one QB in this class they brought in10 o-linemen, several d-linemen and linebackers, and a slew of wide receivers, so it's pretty clear Mac doesn't think QB is their only problem area.
                            Last edited by Ship69; 02-10-2024, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Twitter is hilarious. EVERY kid is a "beast" or a "dawg" or a "stud". Every. One.

For me the great mystery is that there are kids who right now are sitting on a handful of offers and end up doing nothing. Just disappear into the abyss. Even some who were announced as recruits by the schools.
                              Obviously these kids aren't all Dawgs, #beasts or studs.

Truth is most of them are roster filler paying their own way. We'll never hear most of their names again.

But, it's the game.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Obviously these kids aren't all Dawgs, #beasts or studs.

Truth is most of them are roster filler paying their own way. We'll never hear most of their names again.

But, it's the game.
                                Most probably were studs on their high school team, but it's a long way from high school to college ball, even at the D2 and D3 levels.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X