Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future GLIAC Members? Particularly Football?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future GLIAC Members? Particularly Football?

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
    I could be wrong but I don't ever remember a college or university that is D1 level that has decided to drop their athletic program to D2. That doesn't mean it will never happen or that it shouldn't happen but it hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure there are many D1 schools that struggle to fund their athletic programs but they seem to prefer to cut costs elsewhere to stay in D1, probably due to alumni pressure to keep the "prestige" of being a D1 program. Even if it makes sense financially I don't see EMU going the D2 route.
    Savannah State announced they'll be coming back to D2 after a stint at D1: http://www.ssuathletics.com/news/201...ification.aspx

It doesn't say what year that will be happening. I didn't bother to look further.

Winston-Salem State tried to go D1, and spent 2007-08 to 2009-10 in D1 in the MEAC and then came back to D2 due to financial difficulties.

University of New Orleans was going to go from D1 all the way down to D3, then changed their minds and wanted to go D2, and then announced they were going to stay D1: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Privateers
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Plus West Texas A&M. Granted, none of these schools were FBS in football like EMU is. Division II would be a large drop from being an FBS school. I could more see EMU dropping down to FCS and play the likes of Youngstown, Indiana State, Illinois State, etc. than I could see them drop down to D2. Such a move would open the door for any GLIAC teams that may want to make a jump, as it would create an in-state rival. It would also create a conference made up of 5-6 teams in the Michigan-Ohio-Indiana-Illinois area.

Comment

Birmingham Southern dropped from D1 to D3, as did Centenary, which was the smallest D1 school.

Savannah State, who was mentioned above, is planning on dropping to D2 in 2019 and will probably join the SIAC.

Comment

So it looks like there have been a few cases of schools dropping down from D1. Also looks like these are schools that "tried" the D1 level for a short time and it didn't pan out. In the case of EMU they have been D1 since the 70's. I could see them possibly dropping their football program to FCS if they continue to falter in FBS but don't see them taking athletic program to D2.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
            So it looks like there have been a few cases of schools dropping down from D1. Also looks like these are schools that "tried" the D1 level for a short time and it didn't pan out. In the case of EMU they have been D1 since the 70's. I could see them possibly dropping their football program to FCS if they continue to falter in FBS but don't see them taking athletic program to D2.
            I tend to agree that many a D1 school should drop down. But, FWIW, EMU competes fairly well at the D1 level.. and didn't their football team just recently (2016)go to a bowl game? I am in the camp that sooner than later, the power five break away from the NCAA.. at least in some sports, if not all, and then a complete shakeup of the "divisions" will result.

Comment

There was a time when Notre Dame College really really wanted an invitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
                I tend to agree that many a D1 school should drop down. But, FWIW, EMU competes fairly well at the D1 level.. and didn't their football team just recently (2016)go to a bowl game? I am in the camp that sooner than later, the power five break away from the NCAA.. at least in some sports, if not all, and then a complete shakeup of the "divisions" will result.
                You're right as far as EMU is concerned. They did go to a bowl game in 2016 but fell back to a 5-7 record in 2017. They do compete fairly well at the D1 level as well in most other sports. Check out Tony Nicolette's post from 3/4/18. It goes into quite a bit of detail on EMU's athletic program.

Comment

EMU is also VERY good in gymnastics...they have won the MAC a few times and routinely beat many Big 10 teams...I do not see EMU doing anything at this point...

Comment

Originally posted by Stea1th View Post
                    There was a time when Notre Dame College really really wanted an invitation.
                    they did didnt they? they played a year in the gliac and left...it wasnt a successful year

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
                      they did didnt they? they played a year in the gliac and left...it wasnt a successful year
                      They were an affiliate member for football, soccer and women's lacrosse. In football, I think they basically took Lake Superior's spot (to even out scheduling and allow divisions).

They left to join/form the Mountain East (WV) conference. To my knowledge, they are happy there.

Comment

Yes, affiliate only. Not by our choice.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                          Birmingham Southern dropped from D1 to D3, as did Centenary, which was the smallest D1 school.

Savannah State, who was mentioned above, is planning on dropping to D2 in 2019 and will probably join the SIAC.
                          Savannah State has already been accepted into the SIAC when they transition from the MEAC and D1.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                            Savannah State has already been accepted into the SIAC when they transition from the MEAC and D1.
                            Fun fact - Savannah State holds the D2 record for best single-season winning percentage by a baseball team.
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

EMU Cutting Four Sports

At the risk of gloating, here is further evidence that EMU has some significant struggles. I stand by what I said before: D2 affiliation and membership in the GLIAC is a definite fit for these guys. Seems unlikely that they would consider something that drastic, but the evidence continues to mount that maybe they should.

Was a little surprised to see them cut the Men's S&D program as a part of this. That's the one program that they have that kicks a lot of tail in the MAC. That said, when you look at what the program does Nationally it isn't much. Best all-time finish was 26th back in 1984.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post
                                EMU Cutting Four Sports

At the risk of gloating, here is further evidence that EMU has some significant struggles. I stand by what I said before: D2 affiliation and membership in the GLIAC is a definite fit for these guys. Seems unlikely that they would consider something that drastic, but the evidence continues to mount that maybe they should.

Was a little surprised to see them cut the Men's S&D program as a part of this. That's the one program that they have that kicks a lot of tail in the MAC. That said, when you look at what the program does Nationally it isn't much. Best all-time finish was 26th back in 1984.
                                Sooner or later EMU needs to accept the fact that they're forever in the shadow of the Big House and they'll never get enough of a real crowd to make D1-A football pay for itself. A drop down to D1-AA and say a move to the Missouri Valley Conference would be a much better deal for them in the long run.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X