Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G-MAC / GLIAC Updates

Originally posted by OhioDadGVSON View Post
    You have to sell so many tickets to be D1 I believe. So Stadium capacity would have to be larger.
    That is true, but only true for FBS. FCS doesn't have an attendance requirement. Even with FBS though...EMU is a good example of the NCAA not enforcing that rule.

Personally, I would like to see an expansion of the stadium to 15,000 seats. The current capacity is 10,444 and we routinely have 15,000 or more fans in the stadium. But I think we'll see a new arena built before they do another expansion.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
      North Dakota State
      Can't argue that much... add in those Dakota folks... North or South.

Comment

North Dakota State
        They were competing for national championships in almost every sport in D-II. Now they compete in football and that's it. No thank you. I'll take competing for national championships in almost every sport over your high-water mark being a 13-seed in the tournament and winning an FCS title, or hoping to go play in the Quick Lane Bowl someday if you're really lucky.
        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
          They were competing for national championships in almost every sport in D-II. Now they compete in football and that's it. No thank you. I'll take competing for national championships in almost every sport over your high-water mark being a 13-seed in the tournament and winning an FCS title, or hoping to go play in the Quick Lane Bowl someday if you're really lucky.
          Travelling all the way to Detroit for the Quick Lane Bowl? i don't know, seems pretty tempting. :laugh:

Comment

That's true. Though I think their fan base is pretty satisfied. For me, I actually prefer the D2 model, but if one wants "fame," it's tough to come by it in D2. I could be wrong, but I think it's the "fame" that drives a program to move up. And I think for a lot of us (not all) here, that fame label is weak.

If one like sports, I think the D2 model might be a bit more pure. Almost like some people like college over pros. Almost.

Comment

Women's hoops
              Wrestling
              Women's indoor track
              Softball
              Men's X-C

Aside from football, those were the only DII championships for NDSU

Comment

Women's hoops
                Wrestling
                Women's indoor track
                Softball
                Men's X-C

Aside from football, those were the only DII championships for NDSU
                "Only?" That's half their athletic teams. How many have been anywhere close to winning titles in D-I?

Comment

Can't wait for our best potential event in athletics history to be a first-round NCAA Tournament upset.

Every school that has gone D1 in the last 20 years should have their entire administration fired.
                  ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

As a loyal alum, I could not agree with this more. The ONLY way going to D1 makes any sense is if you can somehow be truly competitive in the Power 5. There is nothing for us to gain from moving up outside of having to have a bigger budget. So let's see, we have to spend millions more annually so we can be an also-ran in pretty much everything? No, thanks.

Comment

"Only?" That's half their athletic teams. How many have been anywhere close to winning titles in D-I?
                    NDSU fields 14 different athletic teams.

While they are not competing for NC's at DI, their softball, baseball, both basketball teams have made the NC tourney field.

I think the move for them has been great. Athletics are a way to market your university, as well as bring a more diverse student body to campus. NDSU has accomplished that and then some.
                    Last edited by Runnin' Cat; 04-27-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

I think as far as GVSU, it comes down to if you want to compete for the FCS title. That's a reasonable step and the Lakers have the budget, talent, and fan base to move up a level. Anything higher than FCS is a waste of money.

As an Eagle, I do think there will be serious discussion as far as moving to the GMAC. When you see how much easier a path their is to the playoffs in football in Region 1 you have to consider the move. Schools like Findlay would never make the postseason in the GLIAC yet have already been to the playoffs after moving to the GMAC. For AU it's a combination of two issues in football.
                      1) Always knowing GVSU and FSU will be right there, winning 9 plus games. It's tough to get a bid with these two in your conference. 2) The GLIAC's region is far tougher than Region 1. Combine the competition in the GLIAC at the top with a super tough region and moving to the GMAC to increase your odds of making the playoffs makes a lot of sense.

Comment

NDSU fields 14 different athletic teams.

While they are not competing for NC's at DI, their softball, baseball, both basketball teams have made the NC tourney field.

I think the move for them has been great. Athletics are a way to market your university, as well as bring a more diverse student body to campus. NDSU has accomplished that and then some.
                        That's 42.8% of their teams. Nearly half. Sorry it isn't exactly half.

Sure, it is a way to market your university. It is also disingenuous to the rest of your athletic department to basically tell them "well, most of you will never be able to win a championship, but come compete and coach for us anyway. We'll buy you some rings for winning the vaunted Summit League, instead."

I find it hard to believe their marketability and enrollment has gone up very high through their football team having a couple College Game Day appearances and their basketball team winning a March Madness game, considering the rest of their athletic department has lost marketability because they're essentially competing for nothing and never get in the news cycle outside of Fargo.

Comment

"Almost every sport" is much more than even half. Bottom line is that the move up for NDSU has put them in a much better position. I don't think that their AD should be fired for facilitating that move.

Comment

Originally posted by eagler927 View Post
                            I think as far as GVSU, it comes down to if you want to compete for the FCS title. That's a reasonable step and the Lakers have the budget, talent, and fan base to move up a level. Anything higher than FCS is a waste of money.

As an Eagle, I do think there will be serious discussion as far as moving to the GMAC. When you see how much easier a path their is to the playoffs in football in Region 1 you have to consider the move. Schools like Findlay would never make the postseason in the GLIAC yet have already been to the playoffs after moving to the GMAC. For AU it's a combination of two issues in football.
                            1) Always knowing GVSU and FSU will be right there, winning 9 plus games. It's tough to get a bid with these two in your conference. 2) The GLIAC's region is far tougher than Region 1. Combine the competition in the GLIAC at the top with a super tough region and moving to the GMAC to increase your odds of making the playoffs makes a lot of sense.
                            ANY move to D1 is a waste of money. Moving to FCS is nifty for football, but then makes us fodder in every other sport. We may have a shot a conference titles. but no real play for anything more. It's no different than the point Kle is making about NDSU. Yep, they rule FCS football, but the rest of their sports have no hope of doing anything on a stage larger than their conference.

As I stated earlier, spending millions more per year for basically being conference relevant and the occasional Power 5 tourney fodder has ZERO appeal. The only spot that makes sense at all any longer in D1 is to be in the Power 5. If/when they break off into their own gig, perhaps the landscape will present different circumstances. Until then, D2 is ideal for us.

Comment

"Almost every sport" is much more than even half. Bottom line is that the move up for NDSU has put them in a much better position. I don't think that their AD should be fired for facilitating that move.
                              I said they were competing for national championships. Not winning them. They were finishing in the top four of the D-II director's cup standings before they left. You don't do that with only competing for titles in half your sports.

Comment

I said they were competing for national championships. Not winning them. They were finishing in the top four of the D-II director's cup standings before they left. You don't do that with only competing for titles in half your sports.
                                https://www.capitalonecup.com/

You started with a dumb statement about any team that moved up in the last 20 years should fire their AD. I showed something that countered that. You doubled down.

I added the capital one cup standings. NDSU is #3. They must be doing alright then, using your logic.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X