Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It's my understanding that if GV took the forfeit there's no way for them to find another game. Can't get two wins in one week. But I also imagine that while Mitchell will go anywhere to play anybody, GV athletics wants to try to get another home game to bring in the revenue they depend on.
    I've read elsewhere that GV offered to travel to Winston-Salem State and was turned down.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I've read elsewhere that GV offered to travel to Winston-Salem State and was turned down.
      And I suspect another place or more. :-(

Comment

Sucks that GV's coaches, admin, and football accounts are all over Twitter begging to play and even willing to travel all over the country and no one seems willing to play us, even though there's been numerous cancellations. I get that it's tough to prepare for a team on short notice, but what's the downside of playing a non-conference team against a national power (especially one willing to come to YOU)??? The players would love the opportunity and the challenge, you'd bring in revenue with ticket sales, and if you loss it doesn't really hurt you. I don't get it. These kids haven't played in over a year. Give 'em a game

Comment

The fall is already messy. Just wait.

Comment

Its pretty sad to see schools ignore a school that will travel to them. The athletic department has shown they are willing to open their pockets to have the kids travel across the country just to play a game but other universities are clearly afraid to play GV. Not a fear of losing by 40, because we havent been able to do that to teams for awhile but a fear of getting their players hurt because the speed of the game is much greater when you step on the field with the GV and Ferris of D2.

At the end of the day its sad to see a group of guys that bought in and 100% of them have at least 1 shot in arm but still cant play a game after a year of waiting. I would imagine there are some players that did not want to get the vaccine but got it anyway to play the game they love, would be a hard pill to swallow if they only got to play a hand full of games this year. Sooner or later all universities need to mandate the vaccine or stop caring if they have 1 positive out of 130 players.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post
              Its pretty sad to see schools ignore a school that will travel to them. The athletic department has shown they are willing to open their pockets to have the kids travel across the country just to play a game but other universities are clearly afraid to play GV. Not a fear of losing by 40, because we havent been able to do that to teams for awhile but a fear of getting their players hurt because the speed of the game is much greater when you step on the field with the GV and Ferris of D2.

At the end of the day its sad to see a group of guys that bought in and 100% of them have at least 1 shot in arm but still cant play a game after a year of waiting. I would imagine there are some players that did not want to get the vaccine but got it anyway to play the game they love, would be a hard pill to swallow if they only got to play a hand full of games this year. Sooner or later all universities need to mandate the vaccine or stop caring if they have 1 positive out of 130 players.
              This is why it will be interesting to see what happens if the GLIAC ends up falling apart completely, and GV/Ferris go on in D2 as independents. They're both going to be blackballed by the rest of D2 to schedule football games out of fear. It's starting to become very apparent that the only reason any schools play GV is because they have to. Not because they want to.

Comment

This is why it will be interesting to see what happens if the GLIAC ends up falling apart completely, and GV/Ferris go on in D2 as independents. They're both going to be blackballed by the rest of D2 to schedule football games out of fear. It's starting to become very apparent that the only reason any schools play GV is because they have to. Not because they want to.
                I know it's been discussed and shot down on many occasions, but the potential demise of the GLIAC, IMHO, would be a very logical moment for both of the schools to move up to D1. In Michigan alone the rivalries in the FCS would be amazing. I get the sense that the Laker fan base may be split on the idea, but given the success of most athletics at GVSU it feels like a good opportunity. Is there any institutional/legal reason in the state to prevent this ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

I know it's been discussed and shot down on many occasions, but the potential demise of the GLIAC, IMHO, would be a very logical moment for both of the schools to move up to D1. In Michigan alone the rivalries in the FCS would be amazing. I get the sense that the Laker fan base may be split on the idea, but given the success of most athletics at GVSU it feels like a good opportunity. Is there any institutional/legal reason in the state to prevent this ?
                    There are no FCS schools in Michigan. And the closest FCS football conference is non-scholarship.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Comment

Its sad to say but the main reason for all of this is the two UP schools. Most D2 schools just don't have the funds to travel up there once or twice a year. My prediction is GV will go D1 and Ferris will go independent. The rest of the Gliac will find another conference and the two UP schools get bumped to D3. Especially with the best D3 conference in the country around 5-6 hours away. I would say they could join the Minnesota conference but I doubt they would get accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post
                          Its sad to say but the main reason for all of this is the two UP schools. Most D2 schools just don't have the funds to travel up there once or twice a year. My prediction is GV will go D1 and Ferris will go independent. The rest of the Gliac will find another conference and the two UP schools get bumped to D3. Especially with the best D3 conference in the country around 5-6 hours away. I would say they could join the Minnesota conference but I doubt they would get accepted.
                          What's really confusing is that in a conference like the RMAC, virtually EVERY opponent is as far away as Michigan Tech is from Ashland. But yet those schools don't seem to have an issue.

Comment

I just don't understand with what teams went through last year how any team that had an open date and had someone willing to come play would say no. It literally blows my mind. At this point after not getting to play at all last year, as a coach I would go play Ohio State or Michigan if they said come play.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

As I posted on the other thread. GV doesn't duck opponents, nor look to play softer teams. It's that teams won't schedule GV.
                              Since IUP didn't have a first week game, they started camp a week later than other teams. As tempting as it can be, I don't know if playing a game on short notice when the plan won't have the team ready until next week would be a good idea for IUP.

Comment

Originally posted by unc4life View Post
                                I just don't understand with what teams went through last year how any team that had an open date and had someone willing to come play would say no. It literally blows my mind. At this point after not getting to play at all last year, as a coach I would go play Ohio State or Michigan if they said come play.
                                You nailed it, Dude. When I saw WSSU had their came cancel, I really thought they would jump in quick. They are now left with only nine scheduled games, and only three home games. After not playing for a year, and now left with a tiny number of home dates, I'd have thought they would be thanking their lucky stars that they could fill the date...particularly with a recognizable program that likely would help with the draw.

And, as you stated, I would think the competitive nature of any team or staff would be enough to want to make this go. I don't get it either...

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X