X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Special teams cost GV the game
    who is the special team coach?

Comment

I was so shocked and pi$$ed when they got destroyed by Augustana at the beginning of his career. Most people on this board have probably never heard of Augustana. They play in the nsic. Or at least they used to. I'm not sure if they even have football anymore. Ever since then it's been disappointment after disappointment. Year after year the gv season has either ended with not making the playoffs or losing early in the playoffs to teams with less talent. I went to gv in 94. I was fortunate enough to have watched BK take them from an average d2 team to the premiere program in the country. I also watched martin keep the train running. Then along came mitchell. The Augustana loss was indicative of what was to come. Year after year of disappointment. The sad truth is that today's loss should hurt big time for a GVSU fan like myself. But after a decade plus you get used to it and just expect to be disappointed. I should be really pi$$ed today but I'm not. I love GVSU football and always will but Mitchell has brought the program to a point where expectations are nowhere near what they were when we had competent coaches. Believe it or not there are downfalls to having a program with advantages like gv has. You will always be a three loss team at worst and you end up keeping mediocre coaches. And when you're d2 you don't rely on millionaire donors funding your program. That means no pressure to replace an underachieving coach. The result is a mediocre fifteen years. I've always wanted GVSU to stay d2 because I love the GLIAC. I grew up next to tech and went there for two years. My degrees are from grand valley. My entire family are northern graduates. But it's clear to me that the best thing for GVSU football at this point if they're going to keep Mitchell is to go d1aa. There is literally a zero chance that Mitchell leafs GVSU to a championship. I felt this way a decade ago. Obviously I still feel this way. D1aa football offers something new and eventually they'll be forced to make a change. Plus within a decade I'll be able to watch gv in March madness. As one the best rock bands ever said...now it's time for change

-dvaara

Comment

Originally posted by 4nick8 View Post

Yep,he sure screwed the pooch in this one, and so early too. Less than two minutes in and he hands the best team in D2 a 7 point lead. WTF
        I would love to hear the rationale on that decision. I don’t get it at all. Even with the winds and everything, how does trotting your QB out to punt when you’re pinned deep in your own territory in the first quarter make ANY sense? Holy hell.

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post

I would love to hear the rationale on that decision. I don’t get it at all. Even with the winds and everything, how does trotting your QB out to punt when you’re pinned deep in your own territory in the first quarter make ANY sense? Holy hell.
          Has no one seen him punt before? He's a rugby style punter and pretty effective. Execution sucked, but it's not like it's the first time he's done it.

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
            At this point it is obvious Mitchell will never be let go. Our hopes and dreams of him being gobbled up by a D1 school will obviously never happen. Apparently nobody wants a perennial underachieving coach. They must have seen what bk did....and then what martin did....and then compared that with Mitchell's resume to decide he is worthless. Taking over the hands down best program in d2 and failing to go anywhere in fifteen years is apparently not something teams are looking for in a coach?
            There's still some coach openings left in the MAC I believe. Maybe somebody will take Mitchell or Anness.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Has no one seen him punt before? He's a rugby style punter and pretty effective. Execution sucked, but it's not like it's the first time he's done it.
              Then why wasn't he punting in the third qtr in the same situation?

Comment

Yeah, but that's usually when it's a pooch kick situation-- not when we are deep in our own territory kicking into the wind. Sure the regular punter, who literally spends all of practice punting, could handle that situation better than our starting QB.

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post

Yeah, but that's usually when it's a pooch kick situation-- not when we are deep in our own territory kicking into the wind. Sure the regular punter, who literally spends all of practice punting, could handle that situation better than our starting QB.
                  No, not at all. It wasn't used this season, but our bust rugby punter is Cade And frankly, with how the game progressed, I'm wondering how much of difference it made in the end. Probably some. True, I wasn't the biggest fan of this option, but I do understand the rational.

Comment

Did you not see what happened the first drive?

Comment

My thoughts... The wind was settling down. And you had the mental disadvantage of getting a prior kick blocked.. But it's a fair point. I'm not going to defend something that I didn't think was the best option. But I wanted to get it out there that Cade does punt. It's not like running a trick play deep in ones territory. And there are all sorts of variables with the play... it was kicked too low.. did the Oline let the rusher get buy to quickly, etc.

Comment

My thoughts... The wind was settling down. And you had the mental disadvantage of getting a prior kick blocked.. But it's a fair point. I'm not going to defend something that I didn't think was the best option. But I wanted to get it out there that Cade does punt. It's not like running a trick play deep in ones territory. And there are all sorts of variables with the play... it was kicked too low.. did the Oline let the rusher get buy to quickly, etc.
                        Personally, I don't think there was any rationale to it other than trying to set it up for a trick play later in the game. We were just playing in winds of up to 40 mph against Wayne State, and Hrgich did every punt, both in to and with the wind. That entire first half of this game seemed to be GV trying to set up potential trick plays for later in the game, and I don't think they thought Ferris would come after the punt like they did. I could be entirely wrong because I'm an idiot who knows nothing, but that's how I viewed it.
                        2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I'm an idiot who knows nothing
                          Damn right

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Damn right
                            That makes me no different than everyone else on this board lol.
                            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

That makes me no different than everyone else on this board lol.
                              Yea...not quite but close...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
                                I was so shocked and pi$$ed when they got destroyed by Augustana at the beginning of his career. Most people on this board have probably never heard of Augustana. They play in the nsic. Or at least they used to. I'm not sure if they even have football anymore. Ever since then it's been disappointment after disappointment. Year after year the gv season has either ended with not making the playoffs or losing early in the playoffs to teams with less talent. I went to gv in 94. I was fortunate enough to have watched BK take them from an average d2 team to the premiere program in the country. I also watched martin keep the train running. Then along came mitchell. The Augustana loss was indicative of what was to come. Year after year of disappointment. The sad truth is that today's loss should hurt big time for a GVSU fan like myself. But after a decade plus you get used to it and just expect to be disappointed. I should be really pi$$ed today but I'm not. I love GVSU football and always will but Mitchell has brought the program to a point where expectations are nowhere near what they were when we had competent coaches. Believe it or not there are downfalls to having a program with advantages like gv has. You will always be a three loss team at worst and you end up keeping mediocre coaches. And when you're d2 you don't rely on millionaire donors funding your program. That means no pressure to replace an underachieving coach. The result is a mediocre fifteen years. I've always wanted GVSU to stay d2 because I love the GLIAC. I grew up next to tech and went there for two years. My degrees are from grand valley. My entire family are northern graduates. But it's clear to me that the best thing for GVSU football at this point if they're going to keep Mitchell is to go d1aa. There is literally a zero chance that Mitchell leafs GVSU to a championship. I felt this way a decade ago. Obviously I still feel this way. D1aa football offers something new and eventually they'll be forced to make a change. Plus within a decade I'll be able to watch gv in March madness. As one the best rock bands ever said...now it's time for change

-dvaara

Unforgettable. That might have been his first gig at HC. Gv had a D1 transfer Eastern Mich IIRC. It was a horror show. Maybe the last game of the year too. I too was PISSED and lost faith in MM right from the get go.

I’ve seen GV strict admissions first hand. In a recruiting meeting with then offensive coordinator Eric Kohler, we discussed perhaps the top athlete in the Kalamazoo area at the time. Kohlers response, “He’s dummer than the ice cubes in that glass”. What a horrible thing to say! But it proved to me that GV wasn’t just looking for a football player.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X