Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
    I was so shocked and pi$$ed when they got destroyed by Augustana at the beginning of his career. Most people on this board have probably never heard of Augustana. They play in the nsic. Or at least they used to. I'm not sure if they even have football anymore. Ever since then it's been disappointment after disappointment. Year after year the gv season has either ended with not making the playoffs or losing early in the playoffs to teams with less talent. I went to gv in 94. I was fortunate enough to have watched BK take them from an average d2 team to the premiere program in the country. I also watched martin keep the train running. Then along came mitchell. The Augustana loss was indicative of what was to come. Year after year of disappointment. The sad truth is that today's loss should hurt big time for a GVSU fan like myself. But after a decade plus you get used to it and just expect to be disappointed. I should be really pi$$ed today but I'm not. I love GVSU football and always will but Mitchell has brought the program to a point where expectations are nowhere near what they were when we had competent coaches. Believe it or not there are downfalls to having a program with advantages like gv has. You will always be a three loss team at worst and you end up keeping mediocre coaches. And when you're d2 you don't rely on millionaire donors funding your program. That means no pressure to replace an underachieving coach. The result is a mediocre fifteen years. I've always wanted GVSU to stay d2 because I love the GLIAC. I grew up next to tech and went there for two years. My degrees are from grand valley. My entire family are northern graduates. But it's clear to me that the best thing for GVSU football at this point if they're going to keep Mitchell is to go d1aa. There is literally a zero chance that Mitchell leafs GVSU to a championship. I felt this way a decade ago. Obviously I still feel this way. D1aa football offers something new and eventually they'll be forced to make a change. Plus within a decade I'll be able to watch gv in March madness. As one the best rock bands ever said...now it's time for change

-dvaara
    That Augustana loss was really bad but let's not act like that GV team was going anywhere. They had made the NC the year prior and graduated most key players. Kyle McMahon came in from EMU and was decent but the team overall was not nearly as talented as the two prior season. They needed a miracle comeback at home to beat Hillsdale and then beat Notre Dame College with a score of like 84-48 in one of the most ridiculous games I've ever seen. That defense wasn't any good. I wouldn't judge MM by the his first team. Where the program is at now is a much stronger. I have questioned many things MM and his staff have done, but like Kle has pointed out, we would probably have a NC and a string of GLIAC titles with MM if the best coach in all of D2 didn't happen to coach 50 miles up the road.

Comment

Originally posted by dvaara View Post
      I was so shocked and pi$$ed when they got destroyed by Augustana at the beginning of his career. Most people on this board have probably never heard of Augustana. They play in the nsic. Or at least they used to. I'm not sure if they even have football anymore. Ever since then it's been disappointment after disappointment. Year after year the gv season has either ended with not making the playoffs or losing early in the playoffs to teams with less talent. I went to gv in 94. I was fortunate enough to have watched BK take them from an average d2 team to the premiere program in the country. I also watched martin keep the train running. Then along came mitchell. The Augustana loss was indicative of what was to come. Year after year of disappointment. The sad truth is that today's loss should hurt big time for a GVSU fan like myself. But after a decade plus you get used to it and just expect to be disappointed. I should be really pi$$ed today but I'm not. I love GVSU football and always will but Mitchell has brought the program to a point where expectations are nowhere near what they were when we had competent coaches. Believe it or not there are downfalls to having a program with advantages like gv has. You will always be a three loss team at worst and you end up keeping mediocre coaches. And when you're d2 you don't rely on millionaire donors funding your program. That means no pressure to replace an underachieving coach. The result is a mediocre fifteen years. I've always wanted GVSU to stay d2 because I love the GLIAC. I grew up next to tech and went there for two years. My degrees are from grand valley. My entire family are northern graduates. But it's clear to me that the best thing for GVSU football at this point if they're going to keep Mitchell is to go d1aa. There is literally a zero chance that Mitchell leafs GVSU to a championship. I felt this way a decade ago. Obviously I still feel this way. D1aa football offers something new and eventually they'll be forced to make a change. Plus within a decade I'll be able to watch gv in March madness. As one the best rock bands ever said...now it's time for change

-dvaara
      Your comment above speaks volumes about your perspective. Mediocre? Statements like that have me ignore your perspectives. And you keep talking about advantages. One can't buy a D2 Natty. Even more so when one can't recruit some top athletes that have academic deficiencies.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

That makes me no different than everyone else on this board lol.
        I was jk haha You do a good job with the information you have.

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Yea...not quite but close...LOL
          lololol you're the man

Comment

From a guy whose teams came in second fiddle to the NDSU, UNC, and UND runs more often than not, then played the next decade and a half in the same conference as the evil empire NW dynasty this all looks really familiar. Looks a lot like Pitt, 2 coaches ago.

It's a tough spot for sure. Nationally competitive most years, but not quite the best. Watching former coaches have success in D1while your team seems stuck.

Pitt fans even had the same arrogance for a long time. Said things like. "They're a less talented team" and "we have more advantages"

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

I was jk haha You do a good job with the information you have.
              I don't have any information. Nobody should listen to me on anything ever.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Super Region 3 Coach of the Year, y’all!

https://twitter.com/gvsufootball/sta...p7DeIqgVImY5VQ

Comment

Originally posted by bankslaker View Post
                  Super Region 3 Coach of the Year, y’all!

https://twitter.com/gvsufootball/sta...p7DeIqgVImY5VQ
                  I was hoping it wasn't Tony Annese.

Comment

You seem like alot of fun to hangout with. Lighten up little dude

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

You seem like alot of fun to hangout with. Lighten up little dude
                      I hope I am not fun at all to hangout with. I don't want to hangout with anyone.
                      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by tip79 View Post

I was hoping it wasn't Tony Annese.
                        Should have been

Comment

Truer words have never been spoken. : )

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post

Should have been
                            A team reflects its coach. From what I saw at post-game on Saturday...Nuff said. One big family after all.
                            Last edited by Redwing; 12-07-2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by allendale View Post

Unforgettable. That might have been his first gig at HC. Gv had a D1 transfer Eastern Mich IIRC. It was a horror show. Maybe the last game of the year too. I too was PISSED and lost faith in MM right from the get go.

I’ve seen GV strict admissions first hand. In a recruiting meeting with then offensive coordinator Eric Kohler, we discussed perhaps the top athlete in the Kalamazoo area at the time. Kohlers response, “He’s dummer than the ice cubes in that glass”. What a horrible thing to say! But it proved to me that GV wasn’t just looking for a football player.
                              what it should tell you is THE GUY WOULDN'T GET INTO GV - the admissions standards have changed since the BK days

Comment

Say what you want about Mitchell, but he did beat both of the semi-final winners this year. That ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X