Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Football schedule vote

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    It is fitting that the school I dislike the most is on the wrong side of this, though. I imagine their actual reason has something to do with a fertilizer contract they have or something to that effect.
    It won't be the wrong side until NW is hurt by no noncons. This year was the closest call but NW responded in epic fashion to make the regional selection committee look incompetent for what they intended to do. That should be taken into consideration in future seasons.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Taxman View Post

      Sure it has. Your team's lack of wins within the current conference schedule has been detrimental to receiving a PO bid. Going outside the conference would provide the ability to find easier opponents in which to accumulate wins and hopefully avoid the better teams in the conference resulting in fewer losses.
      Pitt's lack of wins had zero to do with what conference they were in. They wouldn't have made the PO's in the GLVC, the gac, the gliac, or anywhere else the last few seaons, imo.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Taxman View Post

        It won't be the wrong side until NW is hurt by no noncons. This year was the closest call but NW responded in epic fashion to make the regional selection committee look incompetent for what they intended to do. That should be taken into consideration in future seasons.
        It's the wrong side. You just can't comprehend it. I blame your "education"

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Taxman View Post

          You're on the "right" side in this because your school is hunting wins they haven't been able to get within the conference.
          Considering that my stated preference for resolving this situation was finding another conference home for Lincoln and NSU, I don't think your assessment of my motivations is quite on target.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Taxman View Post

            Sure it has. Your team's lack of wins within the current conference schedule has been detrimental to receiving a PO bid. Going outside the conference would provide the ability to find easier opponents in which to accumulate wins and hopefully avoid the better teams in the conference resulting in fewer losses.
            Yea because being able to schedule winnable ooc games weren’t helpful in the early 90’s when your program began its rise to the top. It helps everyone out. The lesser teams get a chance to find a winnable game to help get some momentum for their program. The top teams get either a gimmies game to help get their kinks ironed out and help develop younger kids with playing time, or they get to test their metal against another top tier team. Also the fans get the opportunity to not go to the same old away teams stadium they’ve been to what seems like 100 times before. And it helps expand the popularity of the MIAA as fans get to see teams in what was not that long ago regarded as the SEC of D2 football. It must been nice sitting in your green and white ivory tower and forgetting what is was like for you before Mel T came and saved your programs CMU mascot

            Oh and our teams lack of success these last few years has been more because we had to keep around “Pitt State people”. A philosophy that if your program isn’t careful might bite you guys in the rump as well

            Comment


            • That SEC of D2 nonsense is only said in MIAA land. 4 different SEC teams have won 10 of the last 14 national championships. The MIAA has only had 2 teams that were ever a contender for a national championship.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Randy View Post
                That SEC of D2 nonsense is only said in MIAA land. 4 different SEC teams have won 10 of the last 14 national championships. The MIAA has only had 2 teams that were ever a contender for a national championship.
                I agree. Just people trying to piggyback NW. That said, it is a very tough conference, as are the GSC and GLIAC.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Randy View Post
                  That SEC of D2 nonsense is only said in MIAA land. 4 different SEC teams have won 10 of the last 14 national championships. The MIAA has only had 2 teams that were ever a contender for a national championship.
                  It's actually repeated around the country more than you'd think.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Gorillahawk View Post

                    Yea because being able to schedule winnable ooc games weren’t helpful in the early 90’s when your program began its rise to the top. It helps everyone out. The lesser teams get a chance to find a winnable game to help get some momentum for their program. The top teams get either a gimmies game to help get their kinks ironed out and help develop younger kids with playing time, or they get to test their metal against another top tier team. Also the fans get the opportunity to not go to the same old away teams stadium they’ve been to what seems like 100 times before. And it helps expand the popularity of the MIAA as fans get to see teams in what was not that long ago regarded as the SEC of D2 football. It must been nice sitting in your green and white ivory tower and forgetting what is was like for you before Mel T came and saved your programs CMU mascot

                    Oh and our teams lack of success these last few years has been more because we had to keep around “Pitt State people”. A philosophy that if your program isn’t careful might bite you guys in the rump as well
                    We're on the same page and why I already stated most of the conference should be voting to add noncons. I'm the founding member of the be careful not to follow Pitt into irrelevance foundation. Hopefully the hiring of the current OC is one step to warding that off. It is nice. NW is absolutely in a different situation than most of the conference currently. And that can absolutely change as well.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

                      Considering that my stated preference for resolving this situation was finding another conference home for Lincoln and NSU, I don't think your assessment of my motivations is quite on target.
                      10 conference teams is the perfect number.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Randy View Post
                        That SEC of D2 nonsense is only said in MIAA land. 4 different SEC teams have won 10 of the last 14 national championships. The MIAA has only had 2 teams that were ever a contender for a national championship.
                        We're more like the Big 12 of D2, only NW has had more success finishing off seasons than OU has. Pitt State is Texas (high highs and pretty depressing lows). ESU, FHSU and UCM are Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor (not necessarily in that order). WU is KSU, MW and UNK are OSU and ISU. MoSo is KU.

                        Also, both conferences have the wrong number of schools.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Brandon View Post

                          It's actually repeated around the country more than you'd think.
                          If it's said at all (outside of MIAA land), it's more than I would think. I could see comparing Northwest to Alabama and Pitt to maybe Auburn or Florida (haven't won in while) but the rest of the conference comes up short of the SEC.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Randy View Post

                            If it's said at all (outside of MIAA land), it's more than I would think. I could see comparing Northwest to Alabama and Pitt to maybe Auburn or Florida (haven't won in while) but the rest of the conference comes up short of the SEC.
                            I think it's just the lazy man's way of saying "it's the toughest conference." It's like calling the Harlon Hill Trophy the "Heisman of Division II."

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Randy View Post

                              If it's said at all (outside of MIAA land), it's more than I would think. I could see comparing Northwest to Alabama and Pitt to maybe Auburn or Florida (haven't won in while) but the rest of the conference comes up short of the SEC.
                              yer thinking about it a little too literally
                              Go Bearcats!
                              M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Randy View Post

                                If it's said at all (outside of MIAA land), it's more than I would think. I could see comparing Northwest to Alabama and Pitt to maybe Auburn or Florida (haven't won in while) but the rest of the conference comes up short of the SEC.
                                If national championships are the measure, then no conference is the SEC of D2, because we don't decide our champions via beauty contests. But I think the MIAA has as strong a case as any.

                                Looking over the last 14 years (since that was the point of reference for the SEC), the MIAA has five championships (NW 4, Pitt 1), the GSC has four (Valdosta State 3, W Florida 1), the NSIC 2 (both by Duluth) and the Lone Star, RMAC and GLIAC each have one.

                                Another way to look at it is players put in the NFL, since that's another of the SEC's claim to fame. I pulled some numbers from Pro Football Reference, and I believe current MIAA schools have had 136 players on active NFL rosters (an average of about 11 per team), current GSC players have had 60 (an average of about 7 per team). That's skewed by recent changes in conference membership, I'm sure. I didn't take the time to look at any other conferences - I know the Lone Star would have a bunch (Kingsville and West Texas both have more than 50).

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X