Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RollChos View Post

If they’re going to do it, I wish they would hurry up and pull the trigger. I’ve been hearing about this for 15 years and it has proven to be exactly that . . . rumors. Oklahoma needs an FCS school and UCO is the logical choice. We need to see the program take a step forward this season though.
    UCO to the Southland Conference. UCO to the Western Athletic Conference. UCO to the Summit League. UCO to Conference USA. Okay seriously...

I have heard this since the mid 2000s. "UCO couldn't go because they [were] on probation." "UCO and Arkansas Tech have standing invitations from the Southland Conference." "UCO could move up if we just get a travel partner." "UCO needs to pay the 1 million application fee." (Richison proved this wrong.) My favorite is this guy I read on another platform (I am only actively commenting on this board) that claimed UCO has three conferences asking for them to join. He also claims to have posted a link supporting this, but I have never seen it. He is actively mocked as a fringe theorist who throws things at the wall to see what sticks. Reminds me of a certain WV youtuber, who swore up and down that the Mountaineers were as good as gone to the ACC.

In any event. I am not going to lie, a not so small part of me would like to see UCO move up. But my mind and my gut tells me that it wouldn't be good. I have some concerns that if the university can sustain that funding at that level. I also wonder if RUSO would kill it if UCO tried. However, it is up to people who lead the university to make these decisions. Personally, I want UCO to stay D2 for the time being, but if they move up I won't balk.

If this were to occur:
    The first tell tale sign would be the addition of a men's sport.

UCO has five men's sports, and it is a D1 requirement to have six. So UCO needs to add a men's sport, (track or tennis could come back.) Also it needs to be mentioned how would that impact Title IX. I don't know the exact numbers but could UCO also have to add a women's sport to keep the quota of men and women's athletes the same?

The Mo Valley has shifted east a bit since WSU left, but the MVFC has teams in MO. The only conferences even close to here are the Summit League (ORU) non-football. the WAC/UAC (which has FBS aspirations), and the Southland. UCO has all women's sports. However, all of the WAC and SLC schools have men's cross country teams, and all but one have track. None of these conferences have wrestling.

Before the Kansans bring up how they think Oklahoma cannot support 5 D1 teams, Arkansas has 5 and they have a million less people.

EDIT:Jimbo saying this makes me wonder if he is just stirring the pot, or something is coming?
    Last edited by UCObluejay; 07-16-2023, 03:46 PM.
    Go Bronchos!

Comment

• The Kansans don't care if UCO goes d1 or not. Those of us who occasionally have to drive through Oklahoma hope the state of Oklahoma is saving up to afford even a mile of decent road somewhere in that craphole of a state, but other than that, we don't really care.
      Last edited by Predatory Primates; 07-16-2023, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
        The Kansans don't care if UCO goes d1 or not. Those of us who occasionally have to drive through Oklahoma hope the state of Oklahoma is saving up to afford even a mile of decent road somewhere in that craphole of a state, but other than that, we don't really care.
        Fair enough. So just stay off the ROLL CHOS thread and go sit in a Kansas corn field and be happy.
        Roll Chos!

Comment

Fair enough. So just stay off the ROLL CHOS thread and go sit in a Kansas corn field and be happy.
          I still like d2 football. UCO fans actually talk about it instead of going d1, every once in a while, so I'll stick around.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post

UCO to the Southland Conference. UCO to the Western Athletic Conference. UCO to the Summit League. UCO to Conference USA. Okay seriously...

I have heard this since the mid 2000s. "UCO couldn't go because they [were] on probation." "UCO and Arkansas Tech have standing invitations from the Southland Conference." "UCO could move up if we just get a travel partner." "UCO needs to pay the 1 million application fee." (Richison proved this wrong.) My favorite is this guy I read on another platform (I am only actively commenting on this board) that claimed UCO has three conferences asking for them to join. He also claims to have posted a link supporting this, but I have never seen it. He is actively mocked as a fringe theorist who throws things at the wall to see what sticks. Reminds me of a certain WV youtuber, who swore up and down that the Mountaineers were as good as gone to the ACC.

In any event. I am not going to lie, a not so small part of me would like to see UCO move up. But my mind and my gut tells me that it wouldn't be good. I have some concerns that if the university can sustain that funding at that level. I also wonder if RUSO would kill it if UCO tried. However, it is up to people who lead the university to make these decisions. Personally, I want UCO to stay D2 for the time being, but if they move up I won't balk.

If this were to occur:

UCO has five men's sports, and it is a D1 requirement to have six. So UCO needs to add a men's sport, (track or tennis could come back.) Also it needs to be mentioned how would that impact Title IX. I don't know the exact numbers but could UCO also have to add a women's sport to keep the quota of men and women's athletes the same?

The Mo Valley has shifted east a bit since WSU left, but the MVFC has teams in MO. The only conferences even close to here are the Summit League (ORU) non-football. the WAC/UAC (which has FBS aspirations), and the Southland. UCO has all women's sports. However, all of the WAC and SLC schools have men's cross country teams, and all but one have track. None of these conferences have wrestling.

Before the Kansans bring up how they think Oklahoma cannot support 5 D1 teams, Arkansas has 5 and they have a million less people.

EDIT:Jimbo saying this makes me wonder if he is just stirring the pot, or something is coming?
            If you want to move up, build a brand spanking new gym. What you have now won't cut it in D1. Heck, it's not nice for D2.

Comment

If they’re going to do it, I wish they would hurry up and pull the trigger. I’ve been hearing about this for 15 years and it has proven to be exactly that . . . rumors. Oklahoma needs an FCS school and UCO is the logical choice. We need to see the program take a step forward this season though.
              for sure. we need to move forward. ive heard the rumors since 2015 but they seem to be a little louder right now and the money and effort is definately being put in.

Comment

If this were to occur:

i know nothing for sure but the people talking about it now are more than players. still....just all rumors. what about the hockey team? we've won 3 national championships in the sport and 3/4 of the team are canadians. we would be competitive right from the start...can you turn a club team into an actual fully functioning part of the athletic department'?

for sure if we can put a good product on the field, we could support FCS d1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Try II View Post

If you want to move up, build a brand spanking new gym. What you have now won't cut it in D1. Heck, it's not nice for D2.
                  thats the way we want it. it has been completely remodeled and the students love the environment. not everything has to be state of the art to be effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                    The Kansans don't care if UCO goes d1 or not. Those of us who occasionally have to drive through Oklahoma hope the state of Oklahoma is saving up to afford even a mile of decent road somewhere in that craphole of a state, but other than that, we don't really care.
                    peeshaw. youre talking about oklahoma? lol youve got nerve living in that garbage state.

Comment

• neither are garbage and have more in common than not. lawrence is certainly embarrassing though. we’ve already seen by virtue of other examples you don’t need to be any good to move up you just need the $.

they have built d1aa facilities. as for hoops there are plenty of 1 bid league schools with comparable arenas.

i hope they don’t leave bc they have the potential to add real depth to the miaa but if they do they haven’t been here long enough to miss.
                      Go Bearcats!
                      M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

If this were to occur:

I was looking at the athletic website for Incarnate Word and they only have five men's sports. Isn't incarnate word a D1 school right now?

Comment

• Originally posted by briansperry1998 View Post

I was looking at the athletic website for Incarnate Word and they only have five men's sports. Isn't incarnate word a D1 school right now?
                          I count 10. They are split into two columns.
                          Go Bronchos!

Comment

• Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

i know nothing for sure but the people talking about it now are more than players. still....just all rumors. what about the hockey team? we've won 3 national championships in the sport and 3/4 of the team are canadians. we would be competitive right from the start...can you turn a club team into an actual fully functioning part of the athletic department'?

for sure if we can put a good product on the field, we could support FCS d1.
                            Several schools have upgraded their AHCA teams to varsity status, Penn State, Lindenwood, maybe Arizona State immediately come to mind. The Lindy UCO UCO ASU games were intense. The issue is transportation. The closest D-I hockey teams are in Lindenwood and Huntsville, AL.
                            Go Bronchos!

Comment

Several schools have upgraded their AHCA teams to varsity status, Penn State, Lindenwood, maybe Arizona State immediately come to mind. The Lindy UCO UCO ASU games were intense. The issue is transportation. The closest D-I hockey teams are in Lindenwood and Huntsville, AL.
                              oooooff tough track there.

soccer or tennis would certainly be the easiest.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

oooooff tough track there.

soccer or tennis would certainly be the easiest.
                                I am a dunce. I forgot the three in Colorado, and Omaha has one too.
                                Go Bronchos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X