Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now, the million-dollar question: If you were the head coach, would you spend most of your resources on SIGNING DAY or Portal Prospects? If it were me, I would hit the portal like crazy as long as the player from "X" university is in a degree program my university offers. Wouldn't you agree that "Portal Raiding" is the flavor of the day to build your program?

Comment

Originally posted by Pure cool View Post
      So now, the million-dollar question: If you were the head coach, would you spend most of your resources on SIGNING DAY or Portal Prospects? If it were me, I would hit the portal like crazy as long as the player from "X" university is in a degree program my university offers. Wouldn't you agree that "Portal Raiding" is the flavor of the day to build your program?
      I think it is a mixture. You can't be afraid to utilize the portal to fill immediate needs, but you also must develop your players out of high school. There are a lot of doom spreaders out there, saying this is killing college football, and kids can go where ever they like. Ultimately, what it is right now, unless the kid has graduated, they get 1 transfer. There are people speculating that the kids from CU are transferring, again. Not if they want to play right a way. The NCAA has shown they are inconsistent in granting waivers, and those kids shouldn't count on it.

There probably are a lot of improper behavior from recruiters, reaching out to recruits in dark channels, before someone is in the portal officially. And there is definitely NIL money involved. I think there needs to be some accountability on where the NIL money is coming from and what the kids have to do to receive it. It was not supposed to be pay-for-play, and that definitely needs to be policed more. I think the portal itself is fine, and I for one am happy for these players that may be able to get out of a situation that was not best for them, for whatever they call best, instead of being stuck somewhere they don't want to be, because they committed when they were 17 or 18 and it turned out, the school wasn't what they were selling.

Comment

Fair enough. I was reading an article about Deion Sanders at CU who, after purging his roster, relied heavily on the transfer portal. With all his efforts, he went 4-8. Granted, it was a huge improvement over the prior year for Colorado.

Comment

it's a hodgepodge every yr for every coach using both to fill your needs. you can't rely solely on one or the other & coaches now basically never stop recruiting their own players in a sense. fine & dandy for the dudes that make it to the big time but when you make d2 $ that's a tough way to make a living but here we are.
          Go Bearcats!
          M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Per twitter, Jay Harris in the portal. https://twitter.com/_JayGoHard_/stat...99389964452081

Comment

Expected this but will miss the chance of watching him in Bearcat green 2 more years. He’ll be competing with dozens of D1RB’s in the portal-for his sake I hope he doesn’t regret this
              Last edited by NWFanatic; 12-04-2023, 01:01 PM.

Comment

At least the Colorado School of Mines doesn’t have to worry too much about losing players to the portal.

Comment

I HATE the portal. I remember Signing Day and how Signing Day was about building a 3-year plan. Now the portal just makes coaches focus on NOW. OK, I'm done venting.

Comment

kind of makes you wonder...If the portal had been an option 20+ years ago, how many of our favorite players would have been around long enough to become favorite players? How many legends from the past would only be a name on a roster one year?

I don't know much about the portal, it's rules or procedures, but i was curious, does anyone know statswise, are there more offensive or defensive positions entered into the portal, or is it fairly even?

Comment

D2 is becoming the minor leagues for D1

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                        kind of makes you wonder...If the portal had been an option 20+ years ago, how many of our favorite players would have been around long enough to become favorite players? How many legends from the past would only be a name on a roster one year?

I don't know much about the portal, it's rules or procedures, but i was curious, does anyone know statswise, are there more offensive or defensive positions entered into the portal, or is it fairly even?
                        My in-depth knowledge of the portal comes from watching the Dr. Pepper Fansville commercials where the entire team gets sucked into an out-of-control portal.

Comment

If a player enters the portal and strikes out can he ‘re-up’ with his old team?

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                            D2 is becoming the minor leagues for D1
                            Goodness. For every Cody Schrader, there are 10 Christian Carters, who never see the field or never get on a team.

Comment

Originally posted by Pure cool View Post
                              I hate the transfer portal. Be that as it may, the portal opens on December 4. I read that Oklahoma University is eyeing a kicker out of Midwestern State. Are any MIAA teams going to lose players to D1? Earlier in the year, someone on this site wrote something very profound about the portal. That is, it makes D2 schools the farm teams for D1 schools.
                              UNK lost 3 last year ... Darius Swanson (Tulane), Gabe Amegatcher (No. Illinois) and Ameer Abdullah (Illinois St.). Swanson was second string before getting hurt, Amegatcher was third string/special teams and Abduallah was 1st-team All-Mo Valley which is nothing to sneeze at. A former Mo West tight end, Cam Gandy, was a first-teamer for ISU too.

Teammates and peers from D2 see this and figure, "if they can, why not I?"

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                                If a player enters the portal and strikes out can he ‘re-up’ with his old team?
                                Yes. There is no requirement to leave. Just puts name out there to see what interest comes your way. Optional to act on it.

Guys like Harris will have plenty of offers though. Happy for him regardless of whether he stays or goes.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X