Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoffs

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
    In separate years they did yes and then both last year. Should they have not gotten in with 1 loss in 2014 then, is that your argument? If referring to last year, 3 teams had the chance to seal their playoff spot, all 3 lost. This includes your hounds. Humboldt and Mesa as well. Each has no one to blame but themselves. Same with Midwestern this year.

This is much like blaming refs for a loss instead of taking personal accountability. Put yourself in the position to lose or to not be in the top 7 and at the end of the day it's on you.
    Im not saying they Pueblo should not have made it in, just sometimes teams struggle.

But you brought up Midwesterns struggle in a game they won....

Your dancing around the issue, one that is verifiable by the actions of the committee.

They dont apply the criteria evenly across teams, and will bend, break, molest, or ignore the criteria to include all conferences.

Missouri S&T with 1 d2 loss 9-1 is left out, why? Cause Indy from same conference finished higher with 1 loss also, mean time 3, 2 loss teams get in to the pos. S&T finished 9th in the region. Oh but those other teams played 11 games....not in the criteria, they played a tougher schedule....insular so .500, imagine last years MSU team getting left out. All the reasons someone can give as to why S&T is not in apply to AZUSA but here we sit, AZUSA is in and S&T is not, cause the criteria matters a whole lot less than people think it does.

From Committee action to make the playoffs:

1. Be the highest ranked team in region from your conference.

2. play 11 games, win 9.

3. If at all possible move your conference to insular scheduling, guaranteed 2 teams get in so long as they win 9 games.

Your argument would hold alot more water if it reflected reality, but you are also looking at things from the perspective of one of the beneficiaries.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
      Im not saying they Pueblo should not have made it in, just sometimes teams struggle.

But you brought up Midwesterns struggle in a game they won....

Your dancing around the issue, one that is verifiable by the actions of the committee.

They dont apply the criteria evenly across teams, and will bend, break, molest, or ignore the criteria to include all conferences.

Missouri S&T with 1 d2 loss 9-1 is left out, why? Cause Indy from same conference finished higher with 1 loss also, mean time 3, 2 loss teams get in to the pos. S&T finished 9th in the region. Oh but those other teams played 11 games....not in the criteria, they played a tougher schedule....insular so .500, imagine last years MSU team getting left out. All the reasons someone can give as to why S&T is not in apply to AZUSA but here we sit, AZUSA is in and S&T is not, cause the criteria matters a whole lot less than people think it does.

From Committee action to make the playoffs:

1. Be the highest ranked team in region from your conference.

2. play 11 games, win 9.

3. If at all possible move your conference to insular scheduling, guaranteed 2 teams get in so long as they win 9 games.

Your argument would hold alot more water if it reflected reality, but you are also looking at things from the perspective of one of the beneficiaries.
      How is one a beneficiary when every other team in the picture last year lost their last game. Any of those 3 win and they are in. Instead they lost and some still whine about it a year later. If Pueblo hadn't gotten in last year no one would have had a complaint, going into the last week I'll say no one even thought they had a chance due to how many other things needed to happen. fortunately for them, those things happened. Now you have LSC guys contradicting each other, a Commerce fan spoke to their AD and from that conversation he felt it was pretty straight forward as far as criteria goes. Maybe have a chat with him, he is in the know apparently. :bulgy-eyes:

I'm just saying, if they increase it to 8 per region next year (they won't) then we'd be having the same conversation as to why #9 was more deserving and blah blah blah. Increase it to 9 teams and the 10th team, or some random fans, will feel slighted. It is what it is, win your games and you don't have to worry. Fail to do so and it's on you.

Comment

I'm just saying, if they increase it to 8 per region next year (they won't) then we'd be having the same conversation as to why #9 was more deserving and blah blah blah. Increase it to 9 teams and the 10th team, or some random fans, will feel slighted. It is what it is, win your games and you don't have to worry. Fail to do so and it's on you.
        I agree about the first part of this quoted statement above.

I have not seen anything from Commerce AD.

This has nothing to do with Eastern and humbolt last year.

You have not disproven what i posted about how the committee operates. Like i said S&T has a better win% than 3 teams in their region that made the pos and were ranked 9th. The miaa which has insular scheduling has 2 teams in the po's.

They will not leave a conference out. They reward playing 11 games, even if there is 0 ooc gakes. They just need to change the criteria to reflect the reality of what they already do, not what they say.

Its easy
        Criteria 1: The highest ranked team in the region will be seeded in the po's.

If AZUSA was at 8-3 d2 i would not be suprised to see them still included.

Your win your games argument would hold if the teams getting in had the best records. When teams have the same record then other things are taken into accout like Sos, common opponents etc. This year a team with a better record is left out and another with the same record but a better resume is left out.
        Last edited by Boohaha; 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

The explanation given by the committee representative is that Azusa Pacific's win over Central Washington was the deciding factor, it was the best win by either school. So we have to remember that for next year, everything else was even, identical records from similar schedules, so they looked to see which team had the most impressive win.

So here's the rundown...
          I know some here have stated that the committee do not follow the book, but they do. Wins and losses, no matter the quality of the opponent is most important. SOS does matter but the difference has to be huge to make up for a loss. On a couple occasions 4 loss teams have gotten in over 3 loss teams in SR2 but for the most part it's difficult to get around wins & losses. It seems SOS is used more for seeding teams that have made the playoffs with identical records.

Win margins are totally ignored, believe me it does not matter.

Apparently the committee has succumbed to politics though, throwing a bone to a struggling conference is understandable, they're sacrificing one for the many. Midwestern, you guys are taking one for the team - THANK YOU. You're a much stronger team but you left your fate in the hands of the refs and as football fans we all know that's a losing proposition.
          Last edited by boyblue; 11-13-2018, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Your win your games argument would hold if the teams getting in had the best records. When teams have the same record then other things are taken into accout like Sos, common opponents etc. This year a team with a better record is left out and another with the same record but a better resume is left out.
            I care little about SR3 and don't know what their SOS or anything is over there so I'll take your word for it. However, if Midwestern kicks a 30 yard FG they are in and Commerce (with 3 losses) is out. Same thing last year, if any of 3 teams win their last game they get in. Pueblo put themselves at the mercy of the committee (and needing help from others) and they got lucky last year, that usually isn't the case when a team needs that much help the last week of the season. I know we want the perfect system but it's not going to happen. If Azusa is at 8-3 there's zero way they get in. CWU wasn't even in the top 7 with 2 losses. A solid road win over a team with a solid record is what put Azusa in. Much like those who complain about end of year awards, it really means you're saying X player doesn't deserve it and Y player does. I just think that's tough to look at everything and say that to Azusa this year. That's all from me on this, looking forward to a chilly Saturday up in Golden for some RMAC playoff football! Best of luck to all teams that made it.

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post
              The explanation given by the committee representative is that Azusa Pacific's win over Central Washington was the deciding factor, it was the best win by either school. So we have to remember that for next year, everything else was even, identical records from similar schedules, so they looked to see which team had the most impressive win.

Comment

None of that last part is in the criteria which has been my argument all along.

I dont know where those sos numbers came from but those arent what the committee follows.

Comment

I dont know where those sos numbers came from but those arent what the committee follows.
                  APU had a higher In Region Win Pct (0.800 to 0.778) and Midwestern had a higher OOP/OOWP (0.509 to 0.4903). It isn't the most egregious instance that folks are making it out to be.

Comment

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div

Comment

• Comment

Rankings thankfully have nothing to do with getting into the playoffs. Midwestern doesn't exactly compete well this time of year anyways. They are not built to compete in SR4 this time of year.

Comment

Rankings thankfully have nothing to do with getting into the playoffs. Midwestern doesn't exactly compete well this time of year anyways. They are not built to compete in SR4 this time of year.
                          Saddly that is entirely too true!

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

So here's the rundown...
                            I know some here have stated that the committee do not follow the book, but they do. Wins and losses, no matter the quality of the opponent is most important. SOS does matter but the difference has to be huge to make up for a loss. On a couple occasions 4 loss teams have gotten in over 3 loss teams in SR2 but for the most part it's difficult to get around wins & losses. It seems SOS is used more for seeding teams that have made the playoffs with identical records.

Win margins are totally ignored, believe me it does not matter.

Apparently the committee has succumbed to politics though, throwing a bone to a struggling conference is understandable, they're sacrificing one for the many. Midwestern, you guys are taking one for the team - THANK YOU. You're a much stronger team but you left your fate in the hands of the refs and as football fans we all know that's a losing proposition.

Comment

How is one a beneficiary when every other team in the picture last year lost their last game. Any of those 3 win and they are in. Instead they lost and some still whine about it a year later. If Pueblo hadn't gotten in last year no one would have had a complaint, going into the last week I'll say no one even thought they had a chance due to how many other things needed to happen. fortunately for them, those things happened. Now you have LSC guys contradicting each other, a Commerce fan spoke to their AD and from that conversation he felt it was pretty straight forward as far as criteria goes. Maybe have a chat with him, he is in the know apparently. :bulgy-eyes:

All this back and forth circle jerk, circus act.....

ABSOLUTELY! I 100% agree with your last two sentences.

And that should end this jibber-jabber.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                                All this back and forth circle jerk, circus act.....

ABSOLUTELY! I 100% agree with your last two sentences.

And that should end this jibber-jabber.
                                I echo the last 2 posts.

Can Brandon close this thread?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X