Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tarleton to WAC

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

    Ok, look. I know that happens. He wanted something imaginative. Considering I've been up since before the sun I wasn't putting much thought into, well anything more complicated than a microwave meal and tv. I did my best and if that's not good enough, well let's read your story.
    I really didn’t. I got the point. I was just being silly because there were about 3 consecutive posts that started with “Imagine if/that”.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by gruesome View Post

      I really didn’t. I got the point. I was just being silly because there were about 3 consecutive posts that started with “Imagine if/that”.
      Well I hope the story was at least entertaining.

      Comment


      • Out of curiosity I did a little poking around in FCS circles and came up with a few things about the future of the WAC....

        1. The WAC has stated they are actively considering the addition of football.

        2. Recent move up Dixie State agreed to join the WAC with the understanding there will be a WAC football conference in the near future.

        3. No one I spoke with had heard about a pending implosion of the Southland Conference. BUT....and here is where it gets interesting...

        4. The BIg Sky Conference really, really, really wants another FCS conference in the West. They are currently the only FCS conference whose members are all west of the Mississippi and they would like to change this,

        5. Their commitment has been more than rhetoric. The Big Sky has actively worked with Dixie State to assist them with their move up around scheduling and meeting the various annual benchmarks set by the NCAA. It is thought though I couldn’t confirm this that the Big Sky will offer the same type of support to Tarleton.

        6. More importantly, the BiG Sky would encourage up to four of its 13 member schools to join a new WAC football conference.
        Schools mentioned as options included Cal Davis, Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. With the exception of NAU, the schools mentioned are relative newcomers to the Big Sky. TThey would join Dixie State, Tarleton, and a couple of other Texas schools in the newly formed conference. The Texas schools could be either d2 move ups or existing FCS schools from the Southland or the SWAC. The specific schools are based on speculation. The willingness of the Big Sky to actively assist in the formation of a new conference out west is fact.





        Comment


        • Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

          Ok, we'll do it your way.
          You're 18 or 19. Last year you were a varsity QB and all the girls wanted you. The crowds loved you. You're walking into Kyle Field. The fans are louder than you've ever heard. They aren't here for you. They don't know or care about you. You look across the field. Where once you saw kids who would be on your highlight film you see only maroon clad monsters. They want one thing and one thing only. Make your trip here hell and to put you on their highlight film. Where once you could find solace in chasing a championship you don't even have that. Your team starts on offense. You can't even hear yourself think yet you must lead your team against these monsters of men. This team that wants to end you. Good luck, don't get hurt.
          in an alternative universe...

          You're 18 or 19. Last year you were a varsity QB and all the girls wanted you. The crowds loved you. You're walking into Kyle Field. The fans are louder than you've ever heard. They aren't here for you. They don't know or care about you.

          You remember the Aggie coaches telling you that you are an inch too short or a step too slow fo play for them. You are eager to silence their fans and prove their coaches wrong for overlooking you. You’re determined to make the most out of your appearance on the SEC Network and to make the ESPN highlights show. Your coaches have told you though the odds are against you, each year 10% of FCS teams beat FBS opponents. The Citadel beat GA Tech earlier this year. Nicholls beat Kansas in 2018. Eastern Washington took down Washington State the year before. Richmond came out the winner over Virginia. Northern Iowa has beaten Iowa State more times than not. Nicholls led most of the game against the mighty Georgia Bulldogs just a couple of years ago. Liberty beat Baylor. And of course tiny Appy State smacked a top10 Michigan team in the mouth at the big house not that long ago.

          It happens every year. This year it can be Tarleton. You can be this year’s Appy State! This year’s Liberty. This year’s Citadel. This year’s Nicholls. And if you come up short...that TD pass you throw will be on ESPN’s highlight film and you will have a story to tell your grand children. And the check the Aggie’s write us will pay for your team’s season.



          This is fun. :)

          all silliness aside scheduling can be used as a selling point during the transition period when there is no possibility of competing for championships. Central Arkansas scheduled Hawaii during their transition and spent a couple of extra days there, calling it s their “bowl game” ACU did something similar with Tennis. They ended the season with a trip to California to participate in a tournament in a resort area, No Tripp’s to Hawaii for ACU’s Football team though but we did make it a point to schesule lower tier FBS teams during the transition so we would be somewhat competitive— New Mexico State, Georgia State, and Troy.
          Last edited by catatonic; 10-02-2019, 05:41 AM.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by catatonic View Post
            Out of curiosity I did a little poking around in FCS circles and came up with a few things about the future of the WAC....

            1. The WAC has stated they are actively considering the addition of football.

            2. Recent move up Dixie State agreed to join the WAC with the understanding there will be a WAC football conference in the near future.

            3. No one I spoke with had heard about a pending implosion of the Southland Conference. BUT....and here is where it gets interesting...

            4. The BIg Sky Conference really, really, really wants another FCS conference in the West. They are currently the only FCS conference whose members are all west of the Mississippi and they would like to change this,

            5. Their commitment has been more than rhetoric. The Big Sky has actively worked with Dixie State to assist them with their move up around scheduling and meeting the various annual benchmarks set by the NCAA. It is thought though I couldn’t confirm this that the Big Sky will offer the same type of support to Tarleton.

            6. More importantly, the BiG Sky would encourage up to four of its 13 member schools to join a new WAC football conference.
            Schools mentioned as options included Cal Davis, Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. With the exception of NAU, the schools mentioned are relative newcomers to the Big Sky. TThey would join Dixie State, Tarleton, and a couple of other Texas schools in the newly formed conference. The Texas schools could be either d2 move ups or existing FCS schools from the Southland or the SWAC. The specific schools are based on speculation. The willingness of the Big Sky to actively assist in the formation of a new conference out west is fact.




            I could see the Southland remaining, but a few Texas schools from SLC and the SWAC leaving for the WAC.

            Again... all speculation. I will get more info about facilities upgrades and the move later on.

            Comment


            • I have watched both Next Level Ready videos and came away with several thoughts....

              1. The leadership team at Tarleton firmly believes the WAC is a better conference with better schools than the Southland. This is the main reason they chose the WAC. I believe they are correct. The only negative to the WAC is travel.
              2. We will be adding soccer with women’s starting in 2021. Men will follow probably in 2022. This should cause facilities to be built at the turf field as this will be the home of the programs.
              3. The new aquatic center goes in front of the BOR at their February meeting and will be approved. Once construction is completed, major renovations should occur to Wisdom Gym, including removing the western wall and creating a horseshoe seating arrangement. This is assuming an engineering study can construct the seating structure. I hope all of the upper deck bleachers would be removed and actual seats added.
              4. Phase 2 of the football stadium should be announced soon. It was acknowledged we must add additional seating with the potential move up.
              5. The Big Sky assistance is probably all true. Tarleton mentioned they talked with four different conferences about moving up. The WAC and Southland were the only two specifically mentioned. Northern Arizona has called about a home-&-home football series. TCU called about playing football in 2021 and Maryland asked about men’s basketball in 2020/2021
              6. The WAC will be sponsoring football soon. It was stated we would probably be an independent FCS football school for two years, then the WAC football starts up.
              7. The move up is currently all hinging upon the student vote later this month. If it passes, we move. If not, we stay for now.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by TexanFan View Post
                I have watched both Next Level Ready videos and came away with several thoughts....
                7. The move up is currently all hinging upon the student vote later this month. If it passes, we move. If not, we stay for now.
                Didn't know this. Usually votes depend on how it is presented. I didn't think that students at MSU would approve of building a bubble on campus but it was presented so well that even anti-sports students that I know were advocating for it. It passed easily.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by catatonic View Post

                  Imagine if you are a freshman this year knowing you will be able to play at the highest level of college football against Baylor or TAMU or another big time college program. That’s the other side of the coin which somewhat offsets not competing for championships.
                  Is it really playing against them? I mean I know you are on the same field as them and get to say you played A&M and Baylor, but those are glorified scrimmages for the other schools and a paycheck for yours. That is the big school buying wins.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Vulpes88 View Post

                    Well I hope the story was at least entertaining.
                    It was, but I’ve come to grips that my real world sarcasm doesn’t carry very far on internet forums.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
                      Is it really playing against them? I mean I know you are on the same field as them and get to say you played A&M and Baylor, but those are glorified scrimmages for the other schools and a paycheck for yours. That is the big school buying wins.
                      It is except when it isn’t. Ask Ga Tech this year . Or Arkansas last year. Or Baylor the year before that. The Citadel, Eastern Illinois and Liberty all collected paychecks and W’s. 80% of the time you are right, but 10% of the games are within a touchdown and another 10% are won outright by FCS teams.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by gruesome View Post

                        It was, but I’ve come to grips that my real world sarcasm doesn’t carry very far on internet forums.
                        We need an emoji for that. I have the same problem.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by catatonic View Post
                          Out of curiosity I did a little poking around in FCS circles and came up with a few things about the future of the WAC....

                          1. The WAC has stated they are actively considering the addition of football.

                          2. Recent move up Dixie State agreed to join the WAC with the understanding there will be a WAC football conference in the near future.

                          3. No one I spoke with had heard about a pending implosion of the Southland Conference. BUT....and here is where it gets interesting...

                          4. The BIg Sky Conference really, really, really wants another FCS conference in the West. They are currently the only FCS conference whose members are all west of the Mississippi and they would like to change this,

                          5. Their commitment has been more than rhetoric. The Big Sky has actively worked with Dixie State to assist them with their move up around scheduling and meeting the various annual benchmarks set by the NCAA. It is thought though I couldn’t confirm this that the Big Sky will offer the same type of support to Tarleton.

                          6. More importantly, the BiG Sky would encourage up to four of its 13 member schools to join a new WAC football conference.
                          Schools mentioned as options included Cal Davis, Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah and Northern Arizona. With the exception of NAU, the schools mentioned are relative newcomers to the Big Sky. TThey would join Dixie State, Tarleton, and a couple of other Texas schools in the newly formed conference. The Texas schools could be either d2 move ups or existing FCS schools from the Southland or the SWAC. The specific schools are based on speculation. The willingness of the Big Sky to actively assist in the formation of a new conference out west is fact.




                          So...Northern Arizona, Southern Utah, Dixie State, Tarleton, Cal Davis, Cal Poly, Northern Colorado....and one other? I'm liking it! Wish that last could be WT!

                          Comment


                          • Well guys, I don't have a dog in this fight and could care less what any DII schools does as far as moving up, down, sideways. It has zero effect on me or mine. The ONLY thing I am glad about is that this "news" broke THIS week. It could not have come at a better time!

                            ....now I will just sit back and wait. Looking forward to my trip to Stephenville on Saturday.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                              Well guys, I don't have a dog in this fight and could care less what any DII schools does as far as moving up, down, sideways. It has zero effect on me or mine. The ONLY thing I am glad about is that this "news" broke THIS week. It could not have come at a better time!

                              ....now I will just sit back and wait. Looking forward to my trip to Stephenville on Saturday.
                              I was thinking the same thing last night. Let's see how focused Tarleton is on winning a D2 game on Saturday. While Whitten's teams the last couple of years haven't had those focus issues, his teams in the past absolutely have.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by gruesome View Post

                                It was, but I’ve come to grips that my real world sarcasm doesn’t carry very far on internet forums.
                                I don't do sarcasm well anyway.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X