Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
    +1. And near zero percent chance a D2 coach goes to a FCS head coach gig. Does it happen? Yes, but it's remote. FCS is its own club, as is FBS. Different animals. How much success is Dorrel having at ACU? He won over 90% at the D2 level. He's only won 10 out of 22 at the FCS level, with most of those wins against garbage teams. The Angelo State win was ironically among his best.

The Carthel way is to get some D1 skill players and out-athlete the typical D2 opposition. That model doesn't work at SFA. They already have D1 players and so do the opponents.
    It's not remote for D2 HC's with multiple nattys. If Carthel picks up another this season (or gets close), I could see FBS folks interested.

Wallace went to Temple after his three titles at UNA and Kelly went to Central Michigan after his two nattys at GVSU. Of course, Wallace came back to D2 after his stint at Temple while Kelly went to Cincinnati and ND.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post
      It's not remote for D2 HC's with multiple nattys. If Carthel picks up another this season (or gets close), I could see FBS folks interested.

Wallace went to Temple after his three titles at UNA and Kelly went to Central Michigan after his two nattys at GVSU. Of course, Wallace came back to D2 after his stint at Temple while Kelly went to Cincinnati and ND.

Comment

Comment

My official guess is the current Austin Peay HC

Comment

Originally posted by LSCfan1 View Post
            Lol a 5-6 HC is going to turn around SFA? Not so sure about that.

Ivey has a good relationship with Carthel and the only thing stopping Carthel is not being offered (yet)

I think once the season is over for commerce things may speed up, then again they may not.

East Texas is a breadbasket of HS talent that Carthel is pretty well entrenched in. Would think the next HC would need to have that relationship with recruits in their own backyard and can leverage it to turn the program around.

Comment

Originally posted by LSCfan1 View Post
              Healy????

No way!!! That would be a horrible move by SFA.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                +1. And near zero percent chance a D2 coach goes to a FCS head coach gig. Does it happen? Yes, but it's remote. FCS is its own club, as is FBS. Different animals. How much success is Dorrel having at ACU? He won over 90% at the D2 level. He's only won 10 out of 22 at the FCS level, with most of those wins against garbage teams. The Angelo State win was ironically among his best.

The Carthel way is to get some D1 skill players and out-athlete the typical D2 opposition. That model doesn't work at SFA. They already have D1 players and so do the opponents.
                I don't think the Dorrel comparison is relevant. Is he suppose to turn around a bad program over night? In three years if ACU is winning five games a year you might have a point.

And this applies to a lot of D2 coaches that might get FCS jobs. They're not getting the best jobs. Part of the reason that Dorrel had the ridiculous winning percentage in D2 is that he inherited a program that had played in the championship game five of the six years before he took over. The sixth? A semifinal appearance. He just had to retool things a bit. He didn't have to rebuild. If he had taken over Missouri Southern his record wouldn't have been .900. It might not even have been .500.

His best win this year was against the Southland champion.

Comment

Serious question. Not arguing.

Aren't most coaching hires failures? What percentage of coaches come in and totally turn around losing programs? We call all name some, but aren't the same programs mostly hiring coaches every four or five years?

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Aren't most coaching hires failures? What percentage of coaches come in and totally turn around losing programs? We call all name some, but aren't the same programs mostly hiring coaches every four or five years?
                    Ill agree with that. But alot of programs do find the right guys but they get poached by bigger more profitable schools.

NWMS for example before Mel was not the football powerhouse they are today. But they were able to keep him even after he found tremendous success there.

Oddly enough Bud Elliott came to eastern after "failing" at NWMS and became the winningest coach in Easterns history, and is the father to much of the limited success they have had. Easterns current DC and Josh lynn as well as many others involved in the program, Larry Vernardo jr. Drako miller, Mike Howard(ret. OC) were players and or asst. coaches under coach Elliott and employ his "style" or formula in their coaching.

If National titles are the only measure of succees then yes most coaching hire are failures.

The programs that find success are those that keep coaches that understand how their school works, or in some cases they find that rare gem that rewrites the rules, bobby bowden or Dr osborn style; Carthels at WT and Commerce, mel at NWMS, etc.
                    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

[QUOTE=Runnin' Cat;2318904]But I ain't never been to Nacogdoches.....

Big Jake. Nice reference

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Last edited by Herb Street; 11-23-2018, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Gotcha. Understand your opinion much better now and I totally agree. I thought you were talking about knowledge/schemes.

Comment

Don't forget former Mines HC Bob Stitt, who was a winner at Montana and is just biding his time at Oklahoma State. Unless he gets an OC gig at OSU or some other Power 5, I suspect he will end up at a visible FCS as HC very soon.

Comment

Speaking of patterson and colby.....

https://twitter.com/CoachCarthel/sta...075100160?s=19
                              I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

[QUOTE=Herb Street;2319320]+1. And near zero percent chance a D2 coach goes to a FCS head coach gig. Does it happen? Yes, but it's remote. FCS is its own club, as is FBS. Different animals. How much success is Dorrel having at ACU? He won over 90% at the D2 level. He's only won 10 out of 22 at the FCS level, with most of those wins against garbage teams. The Angelo State win was ironically among his best.

Isn't JMU's coach the ex Lenoir Rhyne coach? What about Bob Nielson at South Dakota? Playoff team last year. SDSU's HC was the coach when they were D-II. How are they doing? Dale Lennon went from UND to SIU, had a winning record. Stitt was already mentioned, he got booted with a winning record at Montana. And bringing up Dorrel is stupid. What the do you think a rebuilding project takes in college? Pueblo's HC would've jumped if it weren't for the domestic violence deal, people still like to forget about that because a guy wins. Again, not a ton of examples, but it took about two minutes to think of a good handful. Herb Street needs to lay off the herb.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X