Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Baylor straight wanted it more. It looked like they were playing USC coached kiffin team, more talent, no drive.
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Great line.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
        I don't believe I claimed that a coach moving up a division never works. It occasionally does. More often, it does not. That is why that, each year when coaching changes are made, few of the coaches replaced are done so by a coach from a different division.

The same principle applies to the NFL: Few head coaches come from the college ranks. It usually doesn't work out. Does it occasionally? Of course. Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson are notables. But the college game is a very different animal than the NFL. The NFL head coaching graveyard is full of Chip Kellys, Nick Sabans, and Lou Hotzs.

That principle works whether a coach is moving up or down. A good D1 coach might do very poorly in a lower division, because it's a different setup that he may not be equipped for.

Just because I can cook bacon and eggs doesn't mean I can bake a cake. If I own a breakfast place and need to hire a cook, I'm probably going to hire a guy who can cook bacon and eggs, versus the chef from the local favorite night spot.
        Fact is MOST coaches, be it from same division, a division up, or a division down FAIL. As do majority of NFL HCs. You have a handful that win consistently at all levels. And its been that way for ever!!!!

And, um, I will take the chef over diner breakfast cook ANY DAY.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
          Fact is MOST coaches, be it from same division, a division up, or a division down FAIL. As do majority of NFL HCs. You have a handful that win consistently at all levels. And its been that way for ever!!!!

And, um, I will take the chef over diner breakfast cook ANY DAY.
          If moving in and out of divisions worked that well, more programs would do it.

Comment

I don't believe I claimed that a coach moving up a division never works. It occasionally does. More often, it does not. That is why that, each year when coaching changes are made, few of the coaches replaced are done so by a coach from a different division.

The same principle applies to the NFL: Few head coaches come from the college ranks. It usually doesn't work out. Does it occasionally? Of course. Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson are notables. But the college game is a very different animal than the NFL. The NFL head coaching graveyard is full of Chip Kellys, Nick Sabans, and Lou Hotzs.

That principle works whether a coach is moving up or down. A good D1 coach might do very poorly in a lower division, because it's a different setup that he may not be equipped for.

Just because I can cook bacon and eggs doesn't mean I can bake a cake. If I own a breakfast place and need to hire a cook, I'm probably going to hire a guy who can cook bacon and eggs, versus the chef from the local favorite night spot.
            Very different argument when mentioning college coaches becoming NFL coaches compared to coaches moving levels within college. You're definitely not wrong. But it's not an equal discussion simply because it's very difficult to cheat in the NFL as a coach. There's no recruiting, less teams, and very strict and mostly followed rules. College coaches cut all sorts of corners. There's never any talk of under the table issues in the league. Took Pete Carroll three HC jobs in the NFL to figure it out. Either way, if anyone thinks lower level coaches aren't as good as higher level, they're full of it. Hell, they have to do way more with less. Just because it doesn't happen doesn't make it right. One time has an OC gotten the call, and the guy at Okie State has lit it up coming from D-II.

Comment

Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post
              Either way, if anyone thinks lower level coaches aren't as good as higher level, they're full of it.

Comment

If moving in and out of divisions worked that well, more programs would do it.
                Moving in division doesn't work that well either.

130 HCs in the FBS......12 go to Major Bowl games. ONE (1) wins the NC.

Then you have 34 BS Bowl games. So 80 of 130 play post season, which means 50 FBS HC TOTALLY FAIL EVERY YEAR. Regardless of where they come from. And only ONE (1) completely succeeds.

In DII you have 169 teams, 28 make playoffs. That means 141 DII HC FAIL EVERY YEAR. Regardless of where they come from.

Same thing in D1aa, DIII, even NFL. MOST coaches FAIL. REGARDLESS of where they come from. ONE (1) (in each) is completely successful.

DISCLAIMER: My #'s may not be exact. To the best of my recollection.

Comment

Then you have 34 BS Bowl games. So 80 of 130 play post season, which means 50 FBS HC TOTALLY FAIL EVERY YEAR. Regardless of where they come from. And only ONE (1) completely succeeds.

In DII you have 169 teams, 28 make playoffs. That means 141 DII HC FAIL EVERY YEAR. Regardless of where they come from.

Same thing in D1aa, DIII, even NFL. MOST coaches FAIL. REGARDLESS of where they come from. ONE (1) (in each) is completely successful.

Comment

You get an E for effort. LOL!

Comment

KK will probably end up an OC somewhere. It would be interesting to see if maybe Les Miles offers him a gig at KU which btw is going to be a spectacular failure in itself.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                        KK will probably end up an OC somewhere. It would be interesting to see if maybe Les Miles offers him a gig at KU which btw is going to be a spectacular failure in itself.

Comment

Last edited by Techster88; 11-25-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Im excited to see if les miles can make kansas football relevant. I think he has the right style to do it in the big 12 too. Strong defense and a good run game. i dont think an 8 win record is out of the realm of possibility in year 2 or 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
                              Im excited to see if les miles can make kansas football relevant. I think he has the right style to do it in the big 12 too. Strong defense and a good run game. i dont think an 8 win record is out of the realm of possibility in year 2 or 3.

Comment

Yes but he is not just anyone, this isnt some up and comming coach looking to stamp his name, this is Les Miles, NC coach from the SEC his career record is 141-55. I think he will help unleash some donor money etc.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X