Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Originally posted by spidermac View Post
    For what it is worth...I do hope Colby stays...purely selfish reasons...my son signed up there in February...wore his red shirt all season...and he loves the coaches...if he leaves, then the coaches he loves leave or are not retained by the new guy, and maybe he doesn't fit there any more...

Colby is making $150K as of June (the report I found was published on a website in June), they were not clear if that was total compensation or base salary, as they had the campus cops on the report, I would assume base salary. That is a lot of money in Commerce...as the median household income is like $23K. Add his wife's salary and they are pushing $200K...not sure what SFA would be willing to pay him...and would they hire her? They do have a great meat eating place right outside SFA though...really enjoyed the meal, and Colby does post a lot about food on his twitter...
    Probably not what you want to hear, but its not uncommon for players to start at one school and end up at another these days. Everyone is searching for playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
      I'm just saying I don't think he goes there. I don't have any secret inside info, I'm just piecing things together in my head and there's more to it than a paycheck.
      Then WHY would he apply???

His application makes zero sense if what you say is correct.

Plus it could be a VERY, VERY long time before another perfect situation for Carthel opens up like this one. I mean IF SFA wants him, he could actually blow that program up and compete for a D1aa NC. Which then puts him in line for a FBS position.

Plus he can HIRE his Dad and bring staff with him.

No brainer.

But FIRST he has to WIN the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
        Carthel appears to be the only HC currently in the running with a proven record of consistently winning. That may be a clue. He seems to be the safe bet because the others are assistants who would have to assemble staffs. Plus, the time it takes to adjusting to the role of HC.
        I agree 100%.

The only hiccup could be past issues. That's the only possible reason I can see that he isnt hired immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
          At least a year that I'm aware of
          It's been several years....I believe 4. He went public May 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
            Then WHY would he apply???

His application makes zero sense if what you say is correct.

Plus it could be a VERY, VERY long time before another perfect situation for Carthel opens up like this one. I mean IF SFA wants him, he could actually blow that program up and compete for a D1aa NC. Which then puts him in line for a FBS position.

Plus he can HIRE his Dad and bring staff with him.

No brainer.

But FIRST he has to WIN the job.
            Football Scoop is reporting that Traylor is interviewing for the job and a LSU assistant is also in the mix. Winning the SFA job will be a harder task than going for an upset over Tarleton.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
              Probably not what you want to hear, but its not uncommon for players to start at one school and end up at another these days. Everyone is searching for playing time.
              Oh, I realize that...the coaches did a great job recruiting him though, at one point during the process he asked me, "would it be wrong to take a D2 offer if I received a D1 offer?" I told him absolutely not...it was his decision, and he should take everything into account before signing...and understand he is signing with an institution, not the coaches...as the coaches might leave after he signed...and sure enough, Deason left right after he signed...which was a stressful moment for him...

Comment

Oh, I realize that...the coaches did a great job recruiting him though, at one point during the process he asked me, "would it be wrong to take a D2 offer if I received a D1 offer?" I told him absolutely not...it was his decision, and he should take everything into account before signing...and understand he is signing with an institution, not the coaches...as the coaches might leave after he signed...and sure enough, Deason left right after he signed...which was a stressful moment for him...

Comment

I assure you no coach wants to purge players. It is a huge disruption and can cost wins short term. But you have to have guys that are committed to the program and doing things the way "new coach" wants them done. When a player isn't fully on board, he's got to move on.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                      I assure you no coach wants to purge players. It is a huge disruption and can cost wins short term. But you have to have guys that are committed to the program and doing things the way "new coach" wants them done. When a player isn't fully on board, he's got to move on.

Comment

Hughes had no plan to PURGE the former coache's players. He had a plan to change the way things had been done. No more dual set of rules. Nesbitt treated the top players differently than the lower echelon players were treated. The top guys got away with crap that the others were punished for......late for meetings, skipping early morning weight-training workouts, ignoring study halls......those kind of things.

Hughes made it clear from the start that the culture was changing. Everyone was on equal standing. Everyone had to earn their playing time. Everyone would be treated the same. Everyone was accountable for their decisions and actions. Everyone would go to class. And........a bunch of Nesbitt recruits didn't want to man up and get it done. They fled. Hughes was actually shocked at how many didn't have the stomach for a disciplined approach to being on a football team. He expected to lose some players, but not as many as he did in year one. The WT program will be better in the long run. Year one was tough. Year two was better. The future for Hughes' management style direction for football is in place and being implemented. Coach Hughes has grown as a coach and manager. You can see it every day when you talk with his players and engage him in conversation. He expects commitment, accountability, responsibility, effort, and dedication. No one is held to a higher standard than he holds himself and his staff.

So, to disagree with your assumption, Hughes did not want to PURGE former coaches players. He hoped the former coache's players had the guts and character to follow him and help build a new type of culture and program at WT. Many didn't. Good riddance to them.
                        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 11-29-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Typically your "feelings" are correct lol

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                            My son went through that at ASU. Played 2 years under Carr. Clough ran a Pro offense with my son as the X (deep threat)...he started as a true freshman and won freshman of the year. Then Wag came in. My son was looking to transfer but AD refused to release him. Then Aych moved him to slot in 2012 (absolute wrong position for him)....then in 2014 back to X where he belonged.

All in all, albeit trying, everything worked out for the best and I am thrilled he played his full career at ASU.
                            Okay this seems like the perfect fit for Carthel, and if he isn't hired does that keep at D2 for the rest of his career? Not saying that is a bad thing but you would think this would be about as good of a fit as he could ask for. Is there more that people don't know about that is keeping him from moving up outside of the D2 stigma?

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                              Hughes had no plan to PURGE the former coache's players. He had a plan to change the way things had been done. No more dual set of rules. Nesbitt treated the top players differently than the lower echelon players were treated. The top guys got away with crap that the others were punished for......late for meetings, skipping early morning weight-training workouts, ignoring study halls......those kind of things.

Hughes made it clear from the start that the culture was changing. Everyone was on equal standing. Everyone had to earn their playing time. Everyone would be treated the same. Everyone was accountable for their decisions and actions. Everyone would go to class. And........a bunch of Nesbitt recruits didn't want to man up and get it done. They fled. Hughes was actually shocked at how many didn't have the stomach for a disciplined approach to being on a football team. He expected to lose some players, but not as many as he did in year one. The WT program will be better in the long run. Year one was tough. Year two was better. The future for Hughes' management style direction for football is in place and being implemented. Coach Hughes has grown as a coach and manager. You can see it every day when you talk with his players and engage him in conversation. He expects commitment, accountability, responsibility, effort, and dedication. No one is held to a higher standard than he holds himself and his staff.

So, to disagree with your assumption, Hughes did not want to PURGE former coaches players. He hoped the former coache's players had the guts and character to follow him and help build a new type of culture and program at WT. Many didn't. Good riddance to them.
                              I talked with several of the players that stayed, and all of them were not disappointed that so many left. They all recognized that you either bought into the program or you were gone.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

Last edited by Techster88; 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X