Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    HAHAHAHA. TAMUC is going to offer Carthel MORE than the HC of SFA?? Not even a snowballs chance in h3ll.

In December 2013, Clint Conque received a 6-Year Contract of $200,000 a year BASE salary, plus on field and academic performance incentives (around $300,000 +) if he hit all incentives.

That was 5 years ago in a tough economy. Today, the AVERAGE FCS HC salary is $260,888.44

I bet Carthel, if hired, would draw a very nice package putting him well over $325k a year....probably on a 5-6 year contract.

Plus probably $800k+ a year for staff.

Only a FOOL would turn that opportunity down. And Colby is no fool!!!!

The only question is does SFA really want Colby? They may not....so this could be a great bluff by Carthel to get Commerce to serve more taters on his plate. Hmmmm. "Pass the ketchup please". Lol.

Comment

Comment

Carthel appears to be the only HC currently in the running with a proven record of consistently winning. That may be a clue. He seems to be the safe bet because the others are assistants who would have to assemble staffs. Plus, the time it takes to adjusting to the role of HC.

Comment

Originally posted by LionFan View Post
          Just so everyone is aware, Guy is struggling with Alzheimer's pretty bad last I heard. I understand the jokes, but let's chill on them
          Oh wow. How long has be been battling it?

Prayers for him and his family.

Comment

It's a roll of the dice at this level to take a high school coach with no college HC experience or very little college coaching experience at all. I mean look at Todd Dodge and the wonderful success he had at UNT which was In Southlake's neighborhood as a recent example of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Dodge

And he was about as entrenched in the DFW area as any coach at the time with most of his pre Southlake days as an assistant at DFW or upper Centex schools.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
              It's a roll of the dice at this level to take a high school coach with no college HC experience or very little college coaching experience at all. I mean look at Todd Dodge and the wonderful success he had at UNT which was In Southlake's neighborhood as a recent example of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Dodge

And he was about as entrenched in the DFW area as any coach at the time with most of his pre Southlake days as an assistant at DFW or upper Centex schools.
              Well, you had Chad Morris, 16 years as a HS coach, then 5 years as a college assistant, then SMU header and on to Arkansas...he improved SMU's program tremendously while he was there...

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                HAHAHAHA. TAMUC is going to offer Carthel MORE than the HC of SFA?? Not even a snowballs chance in h3ll.
                I re-read what I posted 4 or 5 times and I dont see where I said ANYTHING like what you seem to think I said. Yeah, we understand the pay differentials, but Commerce is going to do what they can to keep him around. What that might entail, I have no idea at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by spidermac View Post
                  Well, you had Chad Morris, 16 years as a HS coach, then 5 years as a college assistant, then SMU header and on to Arkansas...he improved SMU's program tremendously while he was there...
                  True to a point. I mean he did take SMU from 2-10 to 7-5 in three years (went 5-7 this season) . I would say the jury is still out as far as his run in the college ranks. He has about two more years to do something at Arkansas and if he doesn't, my bet is he will be back here in Texas looking for a nice high school gig at a power school just like Dodge did going to Austin Westlake with a brief stop at Marble Falls along the way. Making over 100k with some extra compensation perks on top of that is not a bad deal for a HC for a high school program here in Texas. You get more vacation time for sure and once football season is over, you get more time to spend at the golf course and actually have a life vs hitting the recruiting trail and having to deal with media, the NCAA and other fun things.

Either he'll end up back in Texas or he'll take another assistant job elsewhere.

Comment

For what it is worth...I do hope Colby stays...purely selfish reasons...my son signed up there in February...wore his red shirt all season...and he loves the coaches...if he leaves, then the coaches he loves leave or are not retained by the new guy, and maybe he doesn't fit there any more...

Colby is making $150K as of June (the report I found was published on a website in June), they were not clear if that was total compensation or base salary, as they had the campus cops on the report, I would assume base salary. That is a lot of money in Commerce...as the median household income is like $23K. Add his wife's salary and they are pushing $200K...not sure what SFA would be willing to pay him...and would they hire her? They do have a great meat eating place right outside SFA though...really enjoyed the meal, and Colby does post a lot about food on his twitter...

Comment

For what it is worth...I do hope Colby stays...purely selfish reasons...my son signed up there in February...wore his red shirt all season...and he loves the coaches...if he leaves, then the coaches he loves leave or are not retained by the new guy, and maybe he doesn't fit there any more...

Colby is making $150K as of June (the report I found was published on a website in June), they were not clear if that was total compensation or base salary, as they had the campus cops on the report, I would assume base salary. That is a lot of money in Commerce...as the median household income is like $23K. Add his wife's salary and they are pushing $200K...not sure what SFA would be willing to pay him...and would they hire her? They do have a great meat eating place right outside SFA though...really enjoyed the meal, and Colby does post a lot about food on his twitter...
                      If Colby goes from making $150K to $300K, I don't think it matters if they hire her. She can volunteer at that point

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                        Oh wow. How long has be been battling it?

Prayers for him and his family.

At least a year that I'm aware of

Comment

Don't believe he will be at Arkansas very long if he has another record like he had this past season.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Whitfield View Post
                            Don't believe he will be at Arkansas very long if he has another record like he had this past season.

Comment

Appears West Virginia OC Jake Spavital is the new HC at TX State

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                                Appears West Virginia OC Jake Spavital is the new HC at TX State

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X