Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Coaching Vacancies and Candidates

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
    Maybe should go there. Supposedly the oldest town in Texas and named after an American Indian. Name rhymes with Sack o Roaches with the g being silent. He had a brother who also has a town named after him in Louisiana called Natchitoches. Pronounced Nack o tish. Northwestern State in the Southland is in Natchitoches. There is your history lesson for the day.
    I have been to Nacogdoches. I was quoting a line from "Big Jake".

Comment

Originally posted by whodat View Post
      Don't forget former Mines HC Bob Stitt, who was a winner at Montana and is just biding his time at Oklahoma State. Unless he gets an OC gig at OSU or some other Power 5, I suspect he will end up at a visible FCS as HC very soon.
      Montana was foolish to not give him at least another year.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gridiron Bobby;2319507]
        Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
        +1. And near zero percent chance a D2 coach goes to a FCS head coach gig. Does it happen? Yes, but it's remote. FCS is its own club, as is FBS. Different animals. How much success is Dorrel having at ACU? He won over 90% at the D2 level. He's only won 10 out of 22 at the FCS level, with most of those wins against garbage teams. The Angelo State win was ironically among his best.

Isn't JMU's coach the ex Lenoir Rhyne coach? What about Bob Nielson at South Dakota? Playoff team last year. SDSU's HC was the coach when they were D-II. How are they doing? Dale Lennon went from UND to SIU, had a winning record. Stitt was already mentioned, he got booted with a winning record at Montana. And bringing up Dorrel is stupid. What the do you think a rebuilding project takes in college? Pueblo's HC would've jumped if it weren't for the domestic violence deal, people still like to forget about that because a guy wins. Again, not a ton of examples, but it took about two minutes to think of a good handful. Herb Street needs to lay off the herb.
        But that would interfere with his narcissism!!! How in the world would the rest of us ever know anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
          I have been to Nacogdoches. I was quoting a line from "Big Jake".

Comment

[QUOTE=Gridiron Bobby;2319507]
            Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
            +1. And near zero percent chance a D2 coach goes to a FCS head coach gig. Does it happen? Yes, but it's remote. FCS is its own club, as is FBS. Different animals. How much success is Dorrel having at ACU? He won over 90% at the D2 level. He's only won 10 out of 22 at the FCS level, with most of those wins against garbage teams. The Angelo State win was ironically among his best.

Isn't JMU's coach the ex Lenoir Rhyne coach? What about Bob Nielson at South Dakota? Playoff team last year. SDSU's HC was the coach when they were D-II. How are they doing? Dale Lennon went from UND to SIU, had a winning record. Stitt was already mentioned, he got booted with a winning record at Montana. And bringing up Dorrel is stupid. What the do you think a rebuilding project takes in college? Pueblo's HC would've jumped if it weren't for the domestic violence deal, people still like to forget about that because a guy wins. Again, not a ton of examples, but it took about two minutes to think of a good handful. Herb Street needs to lay off the herb.

Comment

I don't believe I claimed that a coach moving up a division never works. It occasionally does. More often, it does not. That is why that, each year when coaching changes are made, few of the coaches replaced are done so by a coach from a different division.

The same principle applies to the NFL: Few head coaches come from the college ranks. It usually doesn't work out. Does it occasionally? Of course. Pete Carroll and Jimmy Johnson are notables. But the college game is a very different animal than the NFL. The NFL head coaching graveyard is full of Chip Kellys, Nick Sabans, and Lou Hotzs.

That principle works whether a coach is moving up or down. A good D1 coach might do very poorly in a lower division, because it's a different setup that he may not be equipped for.

Just because I can cook bacon and eggs doesn't mean I can bake a cake. If I own a breakfast place and need to hire a cook, I'm probably going to hire a guy who can cook bacon and eggs, versus the chef from the local favorite night spot.
              Last edited by Herb Street; 11-24-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Looks like the Tech job will be open.

Baylor made sure of it earlier today.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post

Congrats to Matt Ruhle & the old Baylor line! I believe the Bears finished 6-6 and consequently qualified for one of the many mediocre post season Bowl games. Go Bears!

Comment

That's what KENS 5 is reporting, although Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche Journal says that although he does not doubt this will be the outcome, his sources are saying it is premature at this time.

Comment

Originally posted by texcap View Post
                      That's what KENS 5 is reporting, although Don Williams of the Lubbock Avalanche Journal says that although he does not doubt this will be the outcome, his sources are saying it is premature at this time.
                      https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...asons.amp.html
                      Already seeing reports that he's out.

Comment

Yeah, John Wayne isnt a big deal.

Comment

Thank God

Comment

[QUOTE=catatonic;2319550]Mike Bellotti did a pretty good job at Chico State before turning Oregon around. Beau Baldein had nice squads at CWU before winning an NC at EWU. Don James was at Ent State when they were in the "small school" classification before taking over at UW.

Sure there are successes and failures, kind of like real life.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                              Yeah, John Wayne isnt a big deal.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse