Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Softball

Originally posted by ASURAM2010 View Post
    After following ASU online this past weekend, it appears as though we are going to have to outscore people once we get into conference play. Our pitchers threw relatively well this weekend, but we do not have a Brandy, Kennedy, or even a Morgan. Since I started following the program in 2005, this is the weakest (on paper) pitching staff we have had. We had a stud high school girl who had committed to play for us as a sophomore or maybe a junior. She made the trip to Virginia with her parents on their own dime to witness the world series. She was going to come in be the day 1 starter in the circle. However, after 3 days on campus she got home sick, withdrew, and isn't playing anywhere. Also, had a stud JUCO pitcher who lead the country in strikeouts last year that was not eligible to transfer. So to say we are thin and inexperienced in the circle is definitely an understatement. However, our offense should be extremely dangerous with Barnhill returning at 100% after and injury took most of her season last year, Rocha, and the preseason POY in Taegan Kirk. We had several newcomers come in and start from day 1 who are going to be counted on, which is always scary but I believe this team figures it out in time.

I don't think we are a World Series caliber team as we don't have the pitching yet, but we definitely could be a team to play in the regional tournament and once you get there, there is no telling what can happen.

We've got 6 homes games this weekend against what most would call subpar competition so we should be able to get some quality innings and at bats for some folks.
    I was very surprised ASU didn't do better last year in the series. Maybe the rest of the league has passed up our conference? WT did not do well in our last appearance either.

Comment

Commerce had a good weekend, going 5-1 in what was a very good field of teams. Our #1 pitcher Emily Otto had 3 good outings going the distance in all 3 with an era of .88. Our 2 & 3 both had rough starts in their first game but were able to limit the damage. We have a freshman at #4 right now who went about 6 innings in relief allowing just 3 hits and no runs. She may move up quickly.
      Offense struggled at times, but we got homers from 5 or 6 different players, and multiple homers from 3 of them. It was good to see Kimber Neal back at third after missing most of last season. She hit over .600 for the 6 games.

Should be a good season ahead.

Comment

The Arkansas Tech comeback over WT was a great season opening confidence boost. It came after two extra-inning one-run losses the night before against UCO and Cameron. The second of those two games didn't finish until nearly 1:00CT in the morning.

I agree that the field included some of the top teams from the Central and South Central Regions. Kingsville was the only team to not suffer a loss and Colorado Mines was the only winless team.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
          You could be describing WT. Looks like Commerce will be the team tho beat.

I'm not sold on Abrams at WT. If WT finishes 3rd or 4th this year and wins maybe 30..........that's not acceptable. Period. I hope our AD is already compiling a short list. I believe he should have opened it up. Abrams' should have been interim all year. Then a search for a new coach. My opinion only.
          With McBroom's track record with VB Abrams probably has a longer leash than that. I am thinking maybe two years of not being in the regional tournament. We both know it takes a lot of talent and some breaks to win a NC.

Comment

Originally posted by WTAMU1975 View Post
            With McBroom's track record with VB Abrams probably has a longer leash than that. I am thinking maybe two years of not being in the regional tournament. We both know it takes a lot of talent and some breaks to win a NC.
            I'm not going to sit silently as a fan watching WT SB sink into mediocrity and say nothing. Going down is a bunch of bullsh!t IMO. If I'm AD I'd fire the WT SB coach for anything less than not being in the LSC championship game and winning the sub-regional NCAA. WT has the facilities, the coaches pay, resources, and the history to command excellence. Anything less is unacceptable. As a HC, if you can't recruit players that accomplish that, and coach them to that level.......hit the road, Jack. That may be tough, but that's the job.

Comment

I'm not going to sit silently as a fan watching WT SB sink into mediocrity and say nothing. Going down is a bunch of bullsh!t IMO. If I'm AD I'd fire the WT SB coach for anything less than not being in the LSC championship game and winning the sub-regional NCAA. WT has the facilities, the coaches pay, resources, and the history to command excellence. Anything less is unacceptable. As a HC, if you can't recruit players that accomplish that, and coach them to that level.......hit the road, Jack. That may be tough, but that's the job.
              I don't disagree - just don't think that's what will happen.

Comment

I think that's a bit harsh. Unless this year is sub .500 I think she deserves another year. I think she's better than Nesbitt was, and he only had consistent success against OPSU, Mcmurry, and Kingsville when they were down. Plus he got a pass for Spanishgate. Candace won 40 games last year. Unlike Nesbitt she didn't get the team a week before the season started.. I think the team needs to be more aggressive and recruiting needs to improve. It looks like several of the newbies will make an impact, maybe more will step up. It's early.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
                  Pops I thought I cured you of your LOL addiction. Here's a helping thought: 7O7.

The Lady Buffs dropped their last 3 games in Houston, which I missed because I'm travelling. Each loss was by 1 run.

Pitching has taken a turn for the worse with the team ERA being over 5. Also a couple of 3rd year starters aren't hitting. The biggest bright spot is Mel Huggins who is leading the team in batting average and OB percentage, which is really good for a freshman.

We could use another Rita or Hannah and another Jessica Sipe!
                  I love it! 707!

Comment

I was very surprised ASU didn't do better last year in the series. Maybe the rest of the league has passed up our conference? WT did not do well in our last appearance either.
                    I know you guys know this, but when you get to the world series, if a team has one hot hand in the circle, the chances of them hoisting the trophy goes up significantly. But I was also shocked that our offense that had been scoring 7+ runs/game didn't have but like 7 hits total the entire time we were there.
                    I know you would like to win it once you get there, but getting there is a prize in and of its self that should be applauded. I do think this league is missing the girl in the circle that will consistently go and strike out 12 batters per game. Even we WT won it, I don't believe yall had that girl. Two years ago we had her, but she wasn't 100% when she got there. When we won ours in 2004, we had that girl.
                    I think that is what some of the other teams who have won it recently have had. The girl from two years ago at Mankato is now pitching for the US national team. I would put a decent amount of money that she could have gone and played at any school in the country and been a weekend starter, at any level.

Comment

I know you guys know this, but when you get to the world series, if a team has one hot hand in the circle, the chances of them hoisting the trophy goes up significantly. But I was also shocked that our offense that had been scoring 7+ runs/game didn't have but like 7 hits total the entire time we were there.
                      I know you would like to win it once you get there, but getting there is a prize in and of its self that should be applauded. I do think this league is missing the girl in the circle that will consistently go and strike out 12 batters per game. Even we WT won it, I don't believe yall had that girl. Two years ago we had her, but she wasn't 100% when she got there. When we won ours in 2004, we had that girl.
                      I think that is what some of the other teams who have won it recently have had. The girl from two years ago at Mankato is now pitching for the US national team. I would put a decent amount of money that she could have gone and played at any school in the country and been a weekend starter, at any level.
                      When we won it, we did have that girl--Rita Hokianga. Although not as impressive as the US National Team, I think she still plays for the New Zealand National Team.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBuffsGo View Post
                        When we won it, we did have that girl--Rita Hokianga. Although not as impressive as the US National Team, I think she still plays for the New Zealand National Team.
                        That is what it takes to win big when you get there. A well rounded team with a couple of studs can get you there, but if you don't have an absolute shut down ace who isn't going to give up back to back hits throughout the tournament, chances are you aren't winning the whole thing. Part of the love/hate relationship I have with softball. While it is a team sport and you have to have everyone perform well to get there, you can have a team who doesn't field the ball well who can win a title because they have a freaking stud in the circle. I think it was North Georgia last year, how many games did the win 1-0 or 2-1? More than half, if I remember correctly. Makes you wonder how they would do if they had to come to a conference like ours where there are legit 3-4 teams sometimes more than can win a conference championship.

Comment

I think that's a bit harsh. Unless this year is sub .500 I think she deserves another year. I think she's better than Nesbitt was, and he only had consistent success against OPSU, Mcmurry, and Kingsville when they were down. Plus he got a pass for Spanishgate. Candace won 40 games last year. Unlike Nesbitt she didn't get the team a week before the season started.. I think the team needs to be more aggressive and recruiting needs to improve. It looks like several of the newbies will make an impact, maybe more will step up. It's early.

Comment

That is what it takes to win big when you get there. A well rounded team with a couple of studs can get you there, but if you don't have an absolute shut down ace who isn't going to give up back to back hits throughout the tournament, chances are you aren't winning the whole thing. Part of the love/hate relationship I have with softball. While it is a team sport and you have to have everyone perform well to get there, you can have a team who doesn't field the ball well who can win a title because they have a freaking stud in the circle. I think it was North Georgia last year, how many games did the win 1-0 or 2-1? More than half, if I remember correctly. Makes you wonder how they would do if they had to come to a conference like ours where there are legit 3-4 teams sometimes more than can win a conference championship.
                            Rita was the girl, she was amazing through the series but we also had Hannah and Tori who were both excellent pitchers. Rita was at a JC and asked to play at WT.
                            Look at the batting averages too, and they all went down somewhat due to the great pitching in the series.
                            https://static.gobuffsgo.com/customp...s/teamcume.htm

Comment

Nothing to do with softball but he was given a more than fair trial to produce. Candace deserves a comparable trial.

Comment

I agree with you about Coley. Ask Laker about her.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X