X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: another stellar recruiting class at Texas Tech

Originally posted by cchrstnsn View Post
    Took 36 signees LOL! Every one else in 1AA signed 12-20
    Not possible. You sign a maximum of 25 per year at DI FCS.

Comment

Originally posted by DIIguru View Post
      Not possible. You sign a maximum of 25 per year at DI FCS.
      Incorrect. That's FBS.

FCS has 63 scholarships per year that can be divided amongst no more than 85 players. On average FCS schools carry 104 players......but again only 85 can be on athletic scholarships.

So theoretically, a FCS coach could sign 85 new players each year....whereas NCAA Bylaw 15.5.6.1 limits FBS football programs to a total number of scholarships to 85 annually including 25 scholarships for "initial counters" (new recruits).

ADDITION: This 25 is a "soft rule". 28 seems to be the upper limit for FBS. Note, Service academy recruiting is a very different world, since there are no athletic scholarships, they can sign any # they wish.
      Last edited by ASUPops; 02-19-2019, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by We-Are-Lions View Post
        Based on the beginnings at Commerce, Carthel and co. will run a tougher than normal initial camp and lose a number of guys from other regimes. That will likely free up more money.
        Could be. But I will bet he signs that many again next year. The point is - he is doing something that "hasn't been done" at the 1AA level. It will be hard - long term - to get the talent he wants and needs in that league - to accept anything less than full rides. I have my last one going to 1AA and they laughed when we asked how they "split" their scholarships. A lot of the kids he signed are marginal D1 at best (saw many of them play this season) but Carthel is a master of loading the roster. It will probably work out for him as he is a good coach - just not a fan of his.

Comment

Originally posted by cchrstnsn View Post
          Could be. But I will bet he signs that many again next year. The point is - he is doing something that "hasn't been done" at the 1AA level. It will be hard - long term - to get the talent he wants and needs in that league - to accept anything less than full rides. I have my last one going to 1AA and they laughed when we asked how they "split" their scholarships. A lot of the kids he signed are marginal D1 at best (saw many of them play this season) but Carthel is a master of loading the roster. It will probably work out for him as he is a good coach - just not a fan of his.
          Last edited by catatonic; 02-21-2019, 07:13 PM.

Comment

THIS.

Correct

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X