Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

Lower scholarships do not seem to have hampered other programs. So football needed to be fully funded to win??
    This is the wrong question to ask. The question that should be asked:

"Why is WTAMU not fully funding scholarships in EVERY program that they field?"

It is unfathomable to me that a university as large as WT, with the type of facilities in place, could even remotely not fund all of the allowable scholarships at the D2 level. If I were an alum and a member of the athletic booster club I would be asking this question at every meeting and demanding answers from everyone. If you have all of the resources that WT has (size of student body, facilities, donors, history, etc.) then there is no excuse not to fully fund scholarships at the D2 level. If that is not being done, at least to me, it means that the AD that most of the WT posters praise, is not doing his job.

Many of the WT posters on this board are clamoring for a move to D1, but they don't even fund their athletics at the significantly lower D2 level? This makes no sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by texcap View Post

It is unfathomable to me that a university as large as WT, with the type of facilities in place, could even remotely not fund all of the allowable scholarships at the D2 level. If I were an alum and a member of the athletic booster club I would be asking this question at every meeting and demanding answers from everyone. If you have all of the resources that WT has (size of student body, facilities, donors, history, etc.) then there is no excuse not to fully fund scholarships at the D2 level. If that is not being done, at least to me, it means that the AD that most of the WT posters praise, is not doing his job.

Many of the WT posters on this board are clamoring for a move to D1, but they don't even fund their athletics at the significantly lower D2 level? This makes no sense.
      There you go...

Click image for larger version

Name:	wendler.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	728479

Comment

I think most of D2 isn't fully funded, not even close. For every Grand Valley, there's 40 Western Oregons. In the Northwest, it's all Huskies, Ducks, Beavers, Cougars. I'd guess Portland State isn't close to being fully funded as an FCS school. Texas is different, but D2 alums are usually into their big school favorites, Longhorns, Aggies, etc. I bet if someone did a deep dive, most of the Lone Star Conference is not close to being fully funded in the majority of their sports. I think a better scholarship level for football would be 28, not 36; and go down from there for other sports. Might be way different in Texas, however, maybe Angelo State is fully funded across the board.

Comment

You think the AD has something to do with not funding the program? Yeah. Every AD wants his program to be underfunded so that they lose more games and he looks like a poor AD.

I get your axe with the AD, but you're going to have to step it up a bit.

Comment

• One would think that any AD position with any school would have the responsibility of fund raising through boosters and/or advertisers as part of the job. So yes the AD has something to do with funding the program and this is true anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by tsull View Post

I think most of D2 isn't fully funded, not even close. For every Grand Valley, there's 40 Western Oregons. In the Northwest, it's all Huskies, Ducks, Beavers, Cougars. I'd guess Portland State isn't close to being fully funded as an FCS school. Texas is different, but D2 alums are usually into their big school favorites, Longhorns, Aggies, etc. I bet if someone did a deep dive, most of the Lone Star Conference is not close to being fully funded in the majority of their sports. I think a better scholarship level for football would be 28, not 36; and go down from there for other sports. Might be way different in Texas, however, maybe Angelo State is fully funded across the board.
              I think ASU and UTPB are fully funded.

Over the past 10 years pretty confident ACU, Tarleton, and Commerce were fully funded when they were D2.

WT and Kingsville were but not sure about Midwestern.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post
                One would think that any AD position with any school would have the responsibility of fund raising through boosters and/or advertisers as part of the job. So yes the AD has something to do with funding the program and this is true anywhere.
                I would hazard that WT is in the top 2 or 3 in corporate sponsorships and booster giving in the D2 world. There is some big time outside money that comes into the program every year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Over the past 10 years pretty confident ACU, Tarleton, and Commerce were fully funded when they were D2.

Midwestern State is fully funded

Comment

Errrrrr wrong answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Errrrrr wrong answer.
                      Assuming this is towards ASU? If so willing to bet its in the 30s and higher than WT.

Comment

Assuming this is towards ASU? If so willing to bet its in the 30s and higher than WT.
                        Your answer was wrong across the board and YES I am willing to bet on that. Since you love to bet on everything. House & retirement this time too??

Comment

• Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Your answer was wrong across the board and YES I am willing to bet on that. Since you love to bet on everything. House & retirement this time too??
                          As others would say post your link and sources to prove me wrong.

UTPB article literally stated they were fully funded.

Hard to believe ACU wasn't during the Johnny Knox and Bernard Scott years.

I definitely wont die on this hill and state 100% that all the schools above were.

Comment

As others would say post your link and sources to prove me wrong.

UTPB article literally stated they were fully funded.

Hard to believe ACU wasn't during the Johnny Knox and Bernard Scott years.

I definitely wont die on this hill and state 100% that all the schools above were.
                            Johnny Knox... I remember when he was playing the Seahawks and he went left and his lower leg went right.

Comment

• Originally posted by IronOre View Post

Johnny Knox... I remember when he was playing the Seahawks and he went left and his lower leg went right.
                              Yeah I remember him burning Charles Woodson heads up for a TD on his first Monday Night football game.

Its hard to believe ACU couldnt win a championship with Billy Malone, Bernard Scott, and Johnny Knox.

I still have nightmares about ACU putting up 93 points in that playoff game against WT.

Comment

• Everyone is trying, that's why not everyone wins national titles, future NFL guys or not. The top teams are all good, no one is quitting except FBS players just before bowl games.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X