Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon Fraser to cut football program.

Simone Fraser just announced they are cutting their program, another crippling blow for the GNAC teams.

Announcement:

https://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2023/4...l-program.aspx

Comment

Oof. I hate that for them but very few opportunities out there. Would rather see them go NAIA before dropping the program.

That will be an annoying trivia question. Who was the last team Simon Fraser beat before dropping the program?

Comment

Just a random thought.

This could open up opportunities for non conference games with the MIAA.

Line up the weeks and teams where Lincoln, Missouri and Simon Fraser were scheduled that same week.

Comment

ESPN article:

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-program

Seems this was the only way they could stay in the NCAA.

Comment

I dont know if we have anybody from up north in here, but if you're SFU why not jump over to U Sports at this point? Much of the rest of Canada plays by their own 12 man rules, meanwhile Simon Fraser played 11 and I think they're the only college/university in Canada playing on 11 rules and not 12.

Heck, even crosstown University of British Columbia played Canadian 12 rules and UBC competes under the NAIA Cascade Collegiate Conference for some sports and U Sports (Canada's version of NCAA) for others, of which football is one of.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
              Just a random thought.

This could open up opportunities for non conference games with the MIAA.

Line up the weeks and teams where Lincoln, Missouri and Simon Fraser were scheduled that same week.
              That would be good for both leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexTheHAMMER View Post
                I dont know if we have anybody from up north in here, but if you're SFU why not jump over to U Sports at this point? Much of the rest of Canada plays by their own 12 man rules, meanwhile Simon Fraser played 11 and I think they're the only college/university in Canada playing on 11 rules and not 12.

Heck, even crosstown University of British Columbia played Canadian 12 rules and UBC competes under the NAIA Cascade Collegiate Conference for some sports and U Sports (Canada's version of NCAA) for others, of which football is one of.
                Totally agree and they've dug in their heels on NCAA Sports even though they're not very good in most of them. In basketball they get about 100 fans a game and aren't good. They should play their neighbors in college sports and call it a day. This is a stupid administrative thing and an ego thing. I've been to Vancouver a number of times and no one up there cares that they're NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexTheHAMMER View Post

Being in the NCAA is a big thing for them and joining U Sports likely would be a hard pill to swallow. That being said, they just built a new stadium to help with soccer and football, so they’re hurting a bit right now.

I do agree, NAIA might have been a fit. They were there before.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                    Oof. I hate that for them but very few opportunities out there. Would rather see them go NAIA before dropping the program.

That will be an annoying trivia question. Who was the last team Simon Fraser beat before dropping the program?
                    That would be a one year fix. Lincoln is still playing a lot of MIAA schools in 2023 so you're just looking at 2024 and I'm sure every MIAA school wouldn't want or have the budget to go to Canada. That's another problem with them; everyone needs a passport.

But their last win is over WT which is nice.

Comment

Bummer. But CWU is going to get some quality transfers from SFU players must have had a heads up since last week

Comment

Twenty years in, I'm not sure the D2 move was good for WOU. I won't speak for CWU, it was pretty good for them, especially in the football playoff era. The good for WOU was a hoop team that reached No. in the nation and got to a D2 Final 4. There was some national class distance runners, one who could beat Univ. of Oregon guys regularly, but not many follow that. Women's hoop just finished its 10th straight losing season, making league playoffs only once in that decade. In football WOU has had two NFL guys who stayed in the league for awhile, but there hasn't been a D2 playoff in two decades plus of D2, and from what I've heard the school is still stuck around 13 to 15 football scholarships.

The ill-conceived move was based on what WWU and CWU were doing, according to what was told to me by a WOU admin. We didn't make that move on our own, didn't have a fund raising mechanism in place for scholarships, facilities for football are still very sub-standard, and now men's hoop isn't good.

NAIA would've kept WOU playing SOU and EOU in all sports, especially football. The league still would've been tough for travel, but not as bad as going to Texas. I hope they can keep the sport, the dumb thing would be to cut it because you can't go to Texas to play the sport. The latest president (that's at least 5 in a decade) comes from a D2 in Colorado, not sure where he stands. I just hope they don't do something stupid like cut football like Simon Fraser, when 99.9% of people who even follow SFU don't care that they're NCAA.

Comment

This is a tough blow. SFU was really invested in their program, even renovating their stadium (of course soccer also plays there too). But the landscape and the situation was just impossible if they really want to stay in NCAA for all their other sports. And I guess playing as an independent (like Lincoln of Oakland) wasn't feasible either.

Comment

Oh wow so they are ending their program immediately. So now all the other LSC teams have to find another opponent. CWU only has 10 scheduled games and already has a bye, so they will need to find one more game to play.

Comment

They should let SRSU in early. It would be great for them to get started asap as to how much harder the LSC is than the ASC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X