• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QB11111 View Post

Dying to know which teams. 👀
    https://www.reporternews.com/story/s...s/69613687007/

And maybe 1 or 2 a little north of DFW.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

There is a strong D3 league in the Northwest, but they have an unwritten -- or maybe it's written -- no playing state schools and no state schools in the conference. In the 80's and 90's they had what was called the Columbia Football Association, all the small colleges in the Northwest, a North division with Washington schools and Simon Fraser; and a South division with the Oregon schools. It was NAIA and it was great, minimal travel, local kids had places to play.

One year Linfield (who would be competitive in D2) and Lewis & Clark (among others) raised a stink because CWU was getting really good and they didn't like them having state tuition vs. private school tuition, so they imploded everything by going D3 and then saying they will never play the state schools again. I was told by the people who made the decision that WOU was going to follow CWU and WWU (which no longer has football). They ignored solid in-state rivals Southern Oregon and Eastern Oregon, actually they think they're better than them. It's a weird dynamic that most people in Oregon don't know, and 99.9% of WOU fans don't care about and think is stupid to be chasing D2 sports. The problem is administrators think like administrators, they can't read the tea leaves. You'd think when they made the move to D2 they could look at two things: the THREE scholarships football had to start D2 and the tiny football stadium, which looks like a small -- not large -- Oregon high school stadium. Those two things should've been enough, right?

A former player told me he asked why did they go D2? An admin said scholarships. The former player thought maybe the NCAA funded them. The admin said no we have to raise the money. He said, "How are you going to do that?" The admin shrugged his shoulders. There was NO fund raising plan when they went D2. That sounds crazy for a college with supposedly smart people running things. They stumbled on the move out of NAIA to D2 and two decades later are still stumbling, but oddly they think this was the right move.
      So NAIA the answer???

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
        I just love the "not to be misogynistic" but... goes on to be misogynistic rant part of this thread. You always know it's going to exactly what one says they're not trying to be when they feel they must clarify it's not just that. Love you pops but this was a pretty bad take from a very intelligent individual. Might as well say fat white guys shouldn't ever be president because they are too emotionally unstable and cause people to storm the Capitol when they don't get their way. This idea that females are more emotional when it comes to decision making is funny when you look at the history of humanity.
        Whatever you say.

Of course,whatever YOU say is always the ONLY and absolute RIGHT way, in your mind.

If I could only duplicate you 3 or 4 times, put a dup in Russia, China, Iran, and US, you alone would solve all world problems, end nuclear weapons, cure cancer, end hunger, and unite Israelis and Palestinians. You ARE a GOD in your own mind.

Hail, hail, almighty Turdonium!!

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post

You really don't get it, do you? The actions of the Texas schools and the LSC administration directly led to SFU cancelling their football program. SFU just spent millions upgrading their stadium at their campus, so this wasn't something that had been coming for a long time. The LSC put them in the spot of not being able to fill out a schedule for the team, so what were they supposed to do?
          Since when is it the LSC's responsibility to keep the remaining D2 schools out west afloat?

Yeah that might have been the final nail in the Simon Fraser coffin but lets also ignore the fact that not long ago D2 west coast football had a conference of:

Western Washington
          Western Oregon
          Central Washington
          Simon Fraser
          Humboldt State
          Azusa Pacific
          Dixie State

Where is the outrage for 4 out of those 7 schools getting rid of their football programs?

The writing has been on the wall for some time.

Either go NAIA, D3, or cut football all together.

That being said I think D2 football will be a slow death around the country as schools move up or cut football.
          Last edited by Buffalo/Islander Alum; 04-08-2023, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Since when is it the LSC's responsibility to keep the remaining D2 schools out west afloat?

Yeah that might have been the final nail in the Simon Fraser coffin but lets also ignore the fact that not long ago D2 west coast football had a conference of:

Western Washington
            Western Oregon
            Central Washington
            Simon Fraser
            Humboldt State
            Azusa Pacific
            Dixie State

Where is the outrage for 4 out of those 7 schools getting rid of their football programs?

The writing has been on the wall for some time.

Either go NAIA, D3, or cut football all together.

That being said I think D2 football will be a slow death around the country as schools move up or cut football.
            D2 blows, most schools don't have the money to get to full scholarship limits and the ones who do leave for FCS.

I think division 3 or NAIA is the way to go in the Northwest, obviously. Western Oregon's ego is so tied up in division 2 it's insane. If they can come up with the division 3 State School league like the Wisconsin League I would endorse it. The private schools up here will not play them. Yeah I would start talking to the NAIA league in the West and see if they can get in. I went to school when it was NAIA and I never met one student, teacher, staff, or faculty, that complained about it.

* You said where is the outrage for those programs that axed football? You must not have been reading my posts when I ripped the heck out of Humboldt State, Azusa Pacific and Western Washington administrators.

Comment

You are kidding, right?

Mary Hardin-Baylor would smash most of the teams in the LSC right now.
              Not! SFU would’ve definitely given them a run for their money. All I can say is, step on 🆙 to the LSC.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post

D2 blows, most schools don't have the money to get to full scholarship limits and the ones who do leave for FCS..
                Don't extrapolate the situation in the PNW and believe it applies to most schools.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMUK09 View Post

Option #2: Get the state of Texas to pony up the dough for the Texas schools to move up to FCS and take the LSC name with them. .
                  That's not how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

That's not how it works.
                    Enlighten me.

It would take additional funding to move up to FCS. All the schools in the conference are state school's. Thus state funding or fundraising by the schools schools would be needed. Since I assumed that the New Mexico schools would leave the conference rather than move up to FCS, that would leave the powers that be in the state government in Texas needing to support the move and the state likely providing at least some of the funding.

On taking the conference name to FCS, if the majority of the schools vote to move to FCS, that would be possible. The LSC, as a conference, was in the NAIA back in the day. Then the conference moved to NCAA D2.

Of course, NCAA approval would be required. But I assumed that went without saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

Don't extrapolate the situation in the PNW and believe it applies to most schools.
                      Fair enough, it blows for Western Oregon most of the time, and the national news I usually get is someone going up to FCS. Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                        I just love the "not to be misogynistic" but... goes on to be misogynistic rant part of this thread. You always know it's going to exactly what one says they're not trying to be when they feel they must clarify it's not just that. Love you pops but this was a pretty bad take from a very intelligent individual. Might as well say fat white guys shouldn't ever be president because they are too emotionally unstable and cause people to storm the Capitol when they don't get their way. This idea that females are more emotional when it comes to decision making is funny when you look at the history of humanity.
                        Turbonium, my advice to you would be not to engage Pops in his rants. I just ignore him.

Not the long ago, he was ranting and raving against West Texas A&M's president for being a mentally-disabled neanderthal (his words not mine) for cancelling drag queen story time on campus. And now Pops is disregarding Title 9 and saying women have no business in college athletics, let alone being allowed to be employed as an athletic director because women are emotionally unstable. Next thing you know Pops will be calling for women to be banned from elected office.

Pops doesn't know who he wants to offend, he just loves insulting people too much. That is why he will insult your intelligence if you say something that doesn't agree with him. I know he will insult me for this post.

I just pray that Pops finds a way to be happy and able to be more accepting of people.

Comment

Originally posted by TAMUK09 View Post

Turbonium, my advice to you would be not to engage Pops in his rants. I just ignore him.

Not the long ago, he was ranting and raving against West Texas A&M's president for being a mentally-disabled neanderthal (his words not mine) for cancelling drag queen story time on campus. And now Pops is disregarding Title 9 and saying women have no business in college athletics, let alone being allowed to be employed as an athletic director because women are emotionally unstable. Next thing you know Pops will be calling for women to be banned from elected office.

Pops doesn't know who he wants to offend, he just loves insulting people too much. That is why he will insult your intelligence if you say something that doesn't agree with him. I know he will insult me for this post.

I just pray that Pops finds a way to be happy and able to be more accepting of people.
                          Terrible advice. Not engage someone that has some different opinions on certain topics than me? Sounds pretty boring and not educational. One should always engage with those with different experiences and opinions. Pops and I are good, regardless of agreeing or not on various topics.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

https://www.reporternews.com/story/s...s/69613687007/

And maybe 1 or 2 a little north of DFW.
                            ETBU? 👀

Comment

To be fair the LSC isnt exactly on solid ground either.

All it takes is for Central Washington/Western Oregon to go NAIA or drop football and for anyone of the remaining LSC schools to jump ship for D1 and start a domino effect.

At that point the LSC may be begging for Cameron and UT-Tyler to start up football or the remaining schools like WT will be begging the RMAC and MIAA for membership.
                              Or, for that matter, what's to stop the RMAC from making a better offer to entice Central Washington or Western Oregon? I'd think the travel from Ellensburg and Monmouth to, say, Pueblo would be less of a beating than travel to Texas.
                              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Or, for that matter, what's to stop the RMAC from making a better offer to entice Central Washington or Western Oregon? I'd think the travel from Ellensburg and Monmouth to, say, Pueblo would be less of a beating than travel to Texas.
                                RMAC is full and doesn't need the GNAC schools. We've asked and were shut down. They can play a full league slate without any non-league games, there's that many football-playing teams.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X