Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crookston and St Cloud - dropping football?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post

I wonder how soon before other NSIC coaches start recruiting them. I know the wound is still fresh but this could help out a number of programs.
    I've seen a few players put on Twitter that their recruitment is open again so I guess it's by the person

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
      This is just baffling to me.

SCSU is the third-largest university in the state, and second largest in MN NSIC. Things are so bad there that they have to cut football? How is their money being managed exactly?

I get alumni support is low and SJU is the direct competitor on gameday, not that far away from UMN as well - but still, if smaller schools are making it work on less of a budget, what is going on at SCSU that they can't? I get D1 hockey, but Bemidji has that also...

I don't mean to be the tinfoil hat guy but I have to imagine that something else is going on here that isn't being talked about.
      Declining enrollment. Subsidies for public universities has been steadily declining for years as well.

Comment

This is just baffling to me.

SCSU is the third-largest university in the state, and second largest in MN NSIC. Things are so bad there that they have to cut football? How is their money being managed exactly?

I get alumni support is low and SJU is the direct competitor on gameday, not that far away from UMN as well - but still, if smaller schools are making it work on less of a budget, what is going on at SCSU that they can't? I get D1 hockey, but Bemidji has that also...

I don't mean to be the tinfoil hat guy but I have to imagine that something else is going on here that isn't being talked about.
        Sounds like it all spans from a lawsuit from the last sports shutdown. Title IX has not been followed and is forcing SCSU to fix the situation

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Declining enrollment. Subsidies for public universities has been steadily declining for years as well.
          We've been feeling both to some degree out here as well, so I can certainly understand that.

They lost the battle with Mankato for #1 in the state system. I've always wondered why.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Sounds like it all spans from a lawsuit from the last sports shutdown. Title IX has not been followed and is forcing SCSU to fix the situation
            That makes sense. Sounds like it's a perfect storm of problems. I know they don't have great alumni engagement as well, so that's not helping anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

Right. The PSAC has 16 football schools and 2 non-football schools, and in basketball each team only plays 6 of the 9 teams in the other division in a given year.
              And if you want to see bloated, I present State's Exhibit 1: The Lone Star Conference post Heartland Conference merger. 19 teams (including Texas Woman's University, which doesn't field men's teams), only nine of whom sponsor football.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I think MSU will be the school that really benefits. Could be really, really good next year.
                Could trickle down to all the schools. I'll bet coaches will be flockin' in soon from all over the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post

Could trickle down to all the schools. I'll bet coaches will be flockin' in soon from all over the conference.
                  If your coach hasnt yet, they are already behind...

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

If your coach hasnt yet, they are already behind...
                    Probably.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

And if you want to see bloated, I present State's Exhibit 1: The Lone Star Conference post Heartland Conference merger. 19 teams (including Texas Woman's University, which doesn't field men's teams), only nine of whom sponsor football.
                      8 now....
                      I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

First let me say this is bad no terrible news to lose two more football programs especially in SR4 after Humboldt last year. And, with Dixie and Tarleton moving to D1 that is 5 teams lost in two years. Hopefully this is the end and not more to come.

The LSC merged out of preservation. Texas A&M was in the shadows the last couple of years priming the pump for Tarleton to move to D1. Daddy Warbucks as I noted was dismissed by some and Tarleton would stay put. LSC officials knew this and scrambled to shore up the conference. More bad news to come because A&M Sharp wants the other A&M schools to move up also. Had East Texas State now TAMU Commerce the last original LSC member not been ran so poorly they would be D1 already.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post
                          Texas A&M was in the shadows the last couple of years priming the pump for Tarleton to move to D1.

Had East Texas State now TAMU Commerce the last original LSC member not been ran so poorly they would be D1 already.
                          Why did A&M want another D1 school?

I don't know the politics in Texas, other than that there is a UT and an A&M system (MN has a U of MN system and what used to be called MNSCU which would be much of the NSIC except UMD and Crookston). Who will be next to follow Tarleton?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandan View Post
                            I wonder if SD Mines and Black Hills St are already calling the conference offices to see if there is any chance for them to join.
                            It would take a split and reforming the old SDICish to have BH and SD Mines leave. They have both settled in the RMAC. Without a split in the NSIC, the travel difference is negligible. The travel will be even more manageable in the RMAC once Dixie State leaves for their fool's errand of going DI. Plus, the recruiting grounds for both schools is heavily focused in Colorado and Arizona which favors the RMAC. There is also the fact of being able to play Chadron annually which brings extra revenue for all three schools. As much as I miss the old days of the DAC and SDIC, I think that it is unlikely to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Why did A&M want another D1 school?

I don't know the politics in Texas, other than that there is a UT and an A&M system (MN has a U of MN system and what used to be called MNSCU which would be much of the NSIC except UMD and Crookston). Who will be next to follow Tarleton?
                              I was looking at grad schools and I checked in on Texas about a week ago. As I understand it, they have:

-University of Texas
                              -Texas State University
                              -Texas A&M
                              -Texas Tech
                              -Community College System.

Comment

I was looking at grad schools and I checked in on Texas about a week ago. As I understand it, they have:

-University of Texas
                                -Texas State University
                                -Texas A&M
                                -Texas Tech
                                -Community College System.
                                Plus the University of North Texas System, the University of Houston System, and several that aren't part of any system.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X